this radiohead thing then.

tht

akstavrh
the mp3s are lame 393 js which isn't so crap, even at 160cbr, in that it's adequate for the purposes of working out what is attributable to the fm ready crap production and what is data loss

all mp3s should really be at apx/v2 or 320cbr though

gek-opel

entered apprentice
To be honest while VBR or 190kbps+ is to be preferred even 128kbps isn't too bad. I can tell clipping or destructive compression a mile off as I start to turn the music down, to try and find a comfortable level and find that there isn't one!

tht

akstavrh
then again maybe it should be even more clipped and tinny, to diminish the worst thing about the radiohead sound ie the numbing artisanal arrangements, everything in it's right place and no surprises

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Mmm, the songs on this record lack memorable melodies, (exception "nude"- written about nine years ago or so... hmm) the lyrics are by the numbers half-hearted angst-but-not-really-anguished-enough-to-be-anguished angst, the arrangements overly dependant on tired formulas.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Did they say they were releasing low bitrate mp3s before they let people send them money out of some misguided sense of loyalty/propriety?

I was going to pull a Gek and get it P2P but I don't think I'll bother.

mos dan

fact music
a cardigan thumber is someone that makes holes in the ends of their cardigan sleeves with their thumbs, like a kind of extended fingerless glove, for people who want to pretend they don't have a body by covering it in baggy cardigan wool.

brilliant. and horribly vivid. lol.

the first gig i ever went to was radiohead touring the bends when i was 13. (i wasn't wearing a cardigan.)

i fell out of love with them after 'ok computer', and then, against my will, spent the following five years arguing with pretty much everyone i know about whether 'kid a' was in fact, as i contested, rubbish. radiohead fans are a bloody defensive bunch, i tell you. especially undergraduate radiohead fans, they are by far the worst.

Dusty

Tone deaf
The current media trend of hyping everything that signifies the death of the music industry is becoming rather dull. Lets not forget that The Smashing Pumpkins released a double CD-sized album to their fans for free on mp3 well over two years ago now. But it just wasn't the fashion back then.

Of course, now its all the rage, Prince giving music away with the tabloids, and now;

http://www.techcrunch.com/2007/10/08/nine-inch-nails-help-seal-record-industrys-coffin/

Would any other multi-millionaire artists with recording studios bought on the back of the profits from their previous CD sales like to jump the bandwagon? Don't worry Metallica I'm not looking at you.

some of you lot really need to jam

you have a choice to listen or not listen - why bother waste minutes of your life when your just gonna complain?

radiohead are actually quite smart as this poses a quite simple but interesting question which should be discussed. I'm surprised some of you 'braniacs' ain't realised that yet

I've been a fan for some times and will probably cop the boxset. it's what ppl should be doing if they wanna still sell cd's

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
as this poses a quite simple but interesting question which should be discussed

Forgive me for being thick, but what question do you mean?

The mp3 vs. physical format / free vs. not-free debate? Its often the ONLY thing being discussed on music forums, hardly groundbreaking for internet music nerds (ie: the people reading this).

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Indeed it only underlines the fundamental creative bankruptcy of 99.99% of music now- the most interesting things we can talk about are the delivery methods and systems of storing it. The actual "software", the music, is entirely uninteresting.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Perhaps the question is - given a choice and the opportunity to test drive, would you still pay for the music?

In that sense it is an honest and realistic approach.

gek-opel

entered apprentice
I would never give money to a band at the level of Radiohead- they are all millionaires anyway, and given that studies show that beyond a certain relatively low level of income people do not benefit in terms of happiness from increased wealth, it would be logical to assume that even if I did give them such moneys they would not ultimately derive any utility from it.

noel emits

The excuse of most slsk users surely, "I was trying before I buy" :D
Well I was playing devil's advocate really but the point is that the cat's out the bag wrt p2p so it's kind of silly to pretend that it doesn't exist.

Slsk isn't the best example anyway because it has traditionally been the roaming ground of the voracious music lover rather than the casual downloader. I would say in general people on slsk buy a lot more music then those on most other networks. I hardly ever use p2p now but when I did it would always be either:

a) In lieu of being able to get what I was after - pending a search for some hard to find item.

or

b) To check out some new/old hype - which I would attempt to buy if I really liked and happily delete if it turned out to be of no use.

Both of these mitigated by the fact that I buy music at (slightly above) the rate I can afford to. Of course this has been endlessly debated so I'm just talking about my scientific sample of 1 - myself. ;) I've never bought an mp3 although I have considered getting that Kode 9 & Spaceape Fukkaz one because it isn't available on any other format.

Last edited:

noel emits

I would never give money to a band at the level of Radiohead- they are all millionaires anyway, and given that studies show that beyond a certain relatively low level of income people do not benefit in terms of happiness from increased wealth, it would be logical to assume that even if I did give them such moneys they would not ultimately derive any utility from it.
Well that's very considerate of you. So if the 'head lost most of it's collective wealth in ill advised timeshare investments in Dubai and then somehow managed to use the resulting deep levels of anxt to dredge up an artistic statement of merit would you buy it then?

gek-opel

entered apprentice
Well that's very considerate of you. So if the 'head lost most of it's collective wealth in ill advised timeshare investments in Dubai and then somehow managed to use the resulting deep levels of anxt to dredge up an artistic statement of merit would you buy it then?

Hahahaha... Interesting point here. Not only ought I then to continue my policy with those who are already wealthy beyond any additional utility, but that I ought actively to promote their emiseration for the artistic benefit I derive from the resultant works! Find an artist and bring them down! Brilliant.

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Hahahaha... Interesting point here. Not only ought I then to continue my policy with those who are already wealthy beyond any additional utility, but that I ought actively to promote their emiseration for the artistic benefit I derive from the resultant works! Find an artist and bring them down! Brilliant.

You must be anxiously awaiting the new Britney album then!

Gavin

booty bass intellectual
Radiohead Fans Feel Duped

Coming from the flailing old guard (MTV), perhaps should be taken with a grain of salt... Although maybe if a few people have their RH-as-anti-capitalists-who-sell-high-end-fetish-commodities-for-the-ART-man shibboleths destroyed, so much the better.