mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Those four consonants in the middle, so unwieldy. Unkst Unkst Unkst Unkst. Sounds more like techno. What about Dunky? :slanted:;)

I like Unkst. Slightly metallic, Teutonic-y, also sounds like it has something to do with cunt. Quite nice. I'd dance to it.

tom lea

no sendage tom/fact guys because i like what you guys do, but that piece is 90% XLR8R editorial copy!
none taken, it wasn't presented as a big piece on our site or anything, it was more the case that we wanted to highlight the xlr8r piece (which we linked twice) while also giving a little bit of perspective that someone in sanfran couldn't have, i.e. the dynamic of the last beyond.

deamonds- the kyla thing wasn't meant to be misleading, tho i can see how it looks it. it was more to make the point that although you can take funkstepagunky or whatever you're gonna call it as a reaction to the skank stuff, which kyla says is turning the dancefloors male-dominated, it might end up having the same effect.

contango

I agree with Finney. The article's ok but I don't really like the rinse-centric slant.

... and the name funkstep. How long before rinse starts giving every dj their own genre like IDM or indie shows.
DJ Doppelbangerr - 4-6 - Mutant Splattercore
Stereoface - 10-12 - wistful popgazestep

Blackdown

nexKeysound
having heard endless wingeing over the years from artists saying journalists 'label' them, frankly it's quite refreshing to see the artists taking things into their own hands, name-tag wise.

franz

i don't see why so much time is spent on the naming debate. it doesn't bother me either way what people call stuff. the stuff to be taken from those articles seems to me to be the fact that a) people think 'proper' funky is on the way out, which i think is probably bs, but i live in vancouver where it doesn't exist to begin with (and probably never will), so what would i know about it... but really that conclusion makes it hard to take the article seriously

and b) that some iterations of the music are killing that ever elusive 'feminine pressure'... even tho, as i mentioned already, it may never effect me in any real life kind of way, the idea that some of the more interesting instrumental productions from Scratcha DVA, et. al. are maybe (maybe) driving ladies back out of the scene again (maybe simply even by virtue of the males that they are driving into it) does disturb me a bit.

a propos of the netherground, i've been really digging the Headhunter spots in mixes recently. nice one in the Jackmaster mix up right now, but there've been some other ones on funky shows on Rinse too.

IanTheM

Tame Horse
i don't see why so much time is spent on the naming debate. it doesn't bother me either way what people call stuff. the stuff to be taken from those articles seems to me to be the fact that a) people think 'proper' funky is on the way out, which i think is probably bs, but i live in vancouver where it doesn't exist to begin with (and probably never will), so what would i know about it... but really that conclusion makes it hard to take the article seriously

I'm in Vancouver too, lets start a Garage/Funk night. Anyway I wonder what they'll call this chaos in a few years, (dark) garage into dubstep took a couple years to sort out. This is moving much faster, though with the same confusion. I wonder where it'll end up in another year if it starts losing sight of the middle of the scene too. Though it'll probably end up being like what Cooly G does, having her own productions glued together between plain house songs from all over.

Tim F

I think the article doesn't take a Rinse slant specifically so much as lean towards anything that specifically identifies itself as distanced from "funky" per se - praising "funkstep" and "dubbage" is basically playing the ends against the middle (and I don't see how both styles can simultaneously be seen as the way the truth and the light unless you simply have a distaste for the "cheesy" R&B songfulness or MC tendencies of funky generally).

NB Rinse also pushes Marcus Nasty, Crazy Cousinz, Mak 10, Fingaprint (whose own current sound kinda undermines the Steve Gurley-like "Godfather" role the XLR8R article attempts to set up for him) etc.

carmen

 
This article js so off-base. It's exactly the kind of bullshit "quick let's invent an intelligent-funky sub-genre" indie weekly

taken within the socia-cultural background of XLR8R, born from a city that has no decent musicians of its own (ok, maybe kid 606? jack dangers? if you cound the surrounding area), so it has to hyper-obsess on subtleties of naming in a scene on the other side of the planet, i found the article in good taste and mildly interesting

plus, RINSE coined all these genre names, in their podcast labels. it seems each week theyre different, and i go back all the time to read them, even though the audio quality is too shit to actually download

note to rinse: 31 khz mono. not 22 khz stereo!

gumdrops

i still dont like funky as much as i want to. it needs more energy. cant stand the sleepy chilled out stuff that gets played along with the 'proper' funky.
gonna drown myself in it this week tho just to make sure.

heard a geeneus remake of inner citys good life today on rinse - not bad.

Last edited:

FairiesWearBoots

i still dont like funky as much as i want to. it needs more energy. cant stand the sleepy chilled out stuff that gets played along with the 'proper' funky. QUOTE]

word - I find a lot of it lacks punch (for my ears), I still need that bass and a lot of it is focused on the drums, which is great but I also like the deep subs etc

Roska's stuff seems pretty low end but havent really heard a proper funky set with enough bass for me yet

gumdrops

word - I find a lot of it lacks punch (for my ears), I still need that bass and a lot of it is focused on the drums, which is great but I also like the deep subs etc

Roska's stuff seems pretty low end but havent really heard a proper funky set with enough bass for me yet

yeah too much seems blanded out.
no wonder the skank tunes are getting so much attention.
theyre not boring.
and either im dreaming, listening to lazy djs, or just not switched on, but i swear all the biggest anthems are still the same as the end of last year (checking out this funky and funkstep mix from scratcha right now with sirens, quicktime etc etc).
anyway gonna check out marcus nastys recent sets in a bit.

alex

Do not read this.
you guys need to listen to this. Have probably posted that more than once, however, if you listen to it in its entirity, Im sure you will think different.

Actually that set may be a bad example, I feel more of the percussion/rolling element in that set, although there is some BIG BIG BIG low end on some of the tracks

(Deep Teknologi's - Anthem, Scratcha's - Natty and Ill Blu's - Dragon Pop)

gumdrops

ok well, predictable as it might be, i prefer scratchas funkstep mix to his 'powerhouse' segment. *shrug* then again, starting it off with viktor duplaix was always going to make it easy.

contango

most recent Marcus Nasty set (from late last night).. pure tribal bangers:

*Edit: nevermind... replay of the sept 16th show.. available on podcast or here for those having trouble accessing the rinse parcast:
MarcusNasty16909.mp3

the nuum generals around here might get a kick out of this - Lennie De Ice - We are IE (Marcus Nasty Special)(?).

Last edited: