Tim F

Andy, my favourite skank tunes are:

1) Dotstar - Stick Up (amazing video clip for this!)
2) the skank version of Funkystepz - Funky Sound, can't remember it's name but you can find it on youtube
3) African Air Horn Dance
4) 312 - Bring It Back (Ill Blu Remix) is a skank tune really

Re Maxwell D, his voicing of Scotty D's "Liberty" is great also.

gabriel

The Heatwave
hey gabriel - is play di thing on footstep's worker riddim ever gonna see the light of day? that's a real highlight of you mix for me. hyperinfectious. would love to be able to play it out.

it's a heatwave special so in theory it shouldn't but i quite like the idea of just giving it out and spreading it anyway. i need to mix it properly first though

Loving that Look Pon Me. Anyone seen any new Maxwell D vocals about? I could do with some more of his tunes.

how new? have you heard his one on crackish called drunken master? that's big. other recent things from him i like are:

- Long Tingz
- Iron Monkey
- Funky Baby (from early summer)

benjybars

village elder.
for anyone who missed

D Malice - Refix EP
&
Lil Silva - Seasons / Funky Flex

they're back in @ chemical on coloured vinyl.

mms

sometimes
Andy, my favourite skank tunes are:

1) Dotstar - Stick Up (amazing video clip for this!)
2) the skank version of Funkystepz - Funky Sound, can't remember it's name but you can find it on youtube
3) African Air Horn Dance
4) 312 - Bring It Back (Ill Blu Remix) is a skank tune really

Re Maxwell D, his voicing of Scotty D's "Liberty" is great also.

thing i really like about those videos are the big groups of people dancing in public!

Simon78

it's a heatwave special so in theory it shouldn't but i quite like the idea of just giving it out and spreading it anyway. i need to mix it properly first though

how new? have you heard his one on crackish called drunken master? that's big. other recent things from him i like are:

- Long Tingz
- Iron Monkey
- Funky Baby (from early summer)

Nah, not heard any of those. I'm late, I'm still on a Blackberry Hype.

Any mixes about with them on, or has he put them up for download anywhere?

gabriel

The Heatwave
Nah, not heard any of those. I'm late, I'm still on a Blackberry Hype.

Any mixes about with them on, or has he put them up for download anywhere?

did yuo get the ones i gave away here? http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/blog/item/maxwell-d-vs-uk-funky/

he puts them all on his facebook page but i dunno if the links stay up for ages

drunken master (crackish) is on my Ras Kwame mix http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/item/raskwamemix/

some of the other ones are on past Rinse shows i've done - http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/rinsefm/

Simon78

did yuo get the ones i gave away here? http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/blog/item/maxwell-d-vs-uk-funky/

he puts them all on his facebook page but i dunno if the links stay up for ages

drunken master (crackish) is on my Ras Kwame mix http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/item/raskwamemix/

some of the other ones are on past Rinse shows i've done - http://www.theheatwave.co.uk/music/rinsefm/

Yeah, I got all of those thanks, really like all of them.

I will see if any of the links to his newer stuff are still active on Facebook.

I already own those Lil Silva records and the Malice one but I'm still tempted to buy them again on coloured vinyl. I don't even really play vinyl anymore I use Serato now. A fool and his money... :confused:

benjybars

village elder.
who did the remix of Bongo Jam that Marcus has been playing recently..

has the "wake up every morning" vocal chopped and repeated before the drop.

it's quality.

Benny Bunter

who did the remix of Bongo Jam that Marcus has been playing recently..

has the "wake up every morning" vocal chopped and repeated before the drop.

it's quality.

Alex bok bok. There's white labels of it about. Got a few reloads on MN's show a couple of weeks back.

franz

nice new apple beat "A Double" just beyond the halfway point of the most recent Funk Butcher set on rinse.

in non-UK news, Spoek Mathambo has another mix up for the HIVIP series

edit:

and i guess Funk Butcher has HH Banton linx? beat called The Colonel featuring later on in the set...

aaaand also a HH Banton mix of Riddim Box

i'm trying not to be annoyed that half the funky sets i grab from rinse get considerably better in the second hour. i could have easily stopped earlier and been none the wiser

Last edited:

Tim F

can you post some links to scotty d clips tim? you mention him daily! :)

He's difficult to link to - his myspace is useless and he seems only to have released "Liberty/The Sound" so far. I'll try to post a link to Maxwell D on "Liberty". "The Sound" is on Marcus Nasty's Rinse 10.

He has about 4 other tracks incl. "Dream" and some others whose names I don't know on THAT seminal Mak10/Shantie set.

"Dream" is the one that goes (surprise!) "DREAM!!!!" followed by massive bass stabs and what sounds like a drum machine having an epileptic fit. Generally speaking the sound is roughly in Lil' Silva territory but it's kinda like the (early) Dom & Roland to Lil' Silva's Ed Rush.

There's some uncertainty as to whether he alone is responsible for the productions or in cahoots with DJ Smoovie T - together they're called "Funk Factory". Their tracks usually start with a sample of a voice saying "Now Hear Dis (Hear Dis Hear Dis)" but it always sounds to me like "Whoiddit? (iddit? iddit?)".

Also there was an amazing Scotty D refix of Armand Van Helden's "Mother Earth" (female vocal "Destruction keeps happening!") on the Marcus vs Mak 10 Rinse set from last year. I've not heard it since, though I've heard a very similar track which just samples the "Keeps happening!" Not sure if this is them but it probably is.

benjybars

village elder.
alex bok bok. There's white labels of it about. Got a few reloads on mn's show a couple of weeks back.

where are the whites???!??!?!?!

edit - found them.

weird, i thought i'd listened to that release already.. anyway, massively bagged!

Last edited: