tom lea

the oil gang mix is brilliant. so is malibu beach.

the t. williams ep is out digitally now btw, on beatport only.

you can hear the next 12 im putting out here:

alex

Do not read this.
Alex - been listening to those 2 mixes you linked to on and off over the last couple of days, like them a lot, the 2nd one especially I reckon works really well: has a nice flow to it + you and Ricky clearly really know house music. So big thanks as usual for sharing.

thanks for checking andy! thanks for the positive vibes! :-D

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Positive vibes we bring
And on that note I'd like to say that I'm really, really feeling Rainbows by Money Anderson at the moment. Def the best thing I've heard by him, along with Acute Taste. It maybe has a few elements in it that I might find mildly corny-sounding in other contexts, but in this case all the parts just work together perfectly. If you're looking for audio you can hear it on the Murdz 86 mix that was posted a few pages upthread.

Benny Bunter

^^^ Ace, been waiting on some new HH Banton. There's some great tunes on here that I've never heard before. Love 'Turn it around'. Seems like everyone's gone giveaway-daft recently, and I like it.

Rinse have a new cd coming out called I Love Funky, should be alright with it being a Rinse compilation, cant seem to find a track list anywhere though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Tbh that tracklist is quite a bit better than I was expecting. Perhaps the Supa D half of it especially. Yeah obv it's mostly not brand-new material, but that's not what compilations tend to do anyway. As an introduction to new listeners I reckon it will show off the genre in a pretty good light.

BareBones

wheezy
^^^ Ace, been waiting on some new HH Banton. There's some great tunes on here that I've never heard before. Love 'Turn it around'. Seems like everyone's gone giveaway-daft recently, and I like it.

Amazing! been waiting for his Turn It Around refix for years! thanks alex!

edit: gah, only 160s :(

Last edited:

benjybars

village elder.
the tracklist for the I Love Funky CDs is decent i reckon.

as with the Dubstep ones, they might be pretty obvious choices but no-one can deny there's some fucking big tunes on there.

grizzleb

I liked funky when there was no big sawtooth/squarewave basslines like every other dance genre. The last stuff I listened to sounds well 'in-yer-face' compared to the stuff I heard a while ago.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
I liked funky when there was no big sawtooth/squarewave basslines like every other dance genre. The last stuff I listened to sounds well 'in-yer-face' compared to the stuff I heard a while ago.

Hmmm, I can sort of see what you mean, it has gradually become more in-your-face I reckon, but in-your-face in a wider variety of ways than the ones you describe. Yes there's def quite a few heavy synth-riff based tunes, but there's prob just as many stripped-down percussive rollers, as well as a few wilder drum-workout type tunes (kind of like how in jungle you had the rollers and then the rinse-outs). Most sets also still have at least a few more upbeat, melodic tunes with vocals to provide some contrast too.
So I suppose I'm basically happy with it being in-your-face, as long as it keeps doing it interesting ways, rather than just rehashing the sounds from other generes, which like you say would be pointless.

Oh yeah, and I'll add my voice to the thanks and praise for the HHB giveaway pack. Holy Ghost is such a top tune. :)

bandshell

Grand High Witch
^ Tbh that tracklist is quite a bit better than I was expecting. Perhaps the Supa D half of it especially. Yeah obv it's mostly not brand-new material, but that's not what compilations tend to do anyway. As an introduction to new listeners I reckon it will show off the genre in a pretty good light.

There's definitely some good stuff on the tracklist. It should have Geiom - Sugar Coated Lover on it though.

Tim F

Hmmm, I can sort of see what you mean, it has gradually become more in-your-face I reckon, but in-your-face in a wider variety of ways than the ones you describe.

This and what you say afterwards is SPOT ON Andy. What really distinguishes funky is the sheer variety of strategies it deploys to create energy, hype, drama etc.

I often think of simon reynolds' idea of "zones of fruitless intensification" - one way to define what constitutes fruitless vs fruitful is maybe "monointensification" vs "polyintensification". When scenes are taking a whole variety of different approaches to expanding their sound while still maintaining a distinct unified vibe - it's the best of possible worlds innit.

One thing that's unusual about uk funky is that, despite the fact that anyone seriously following the scene would say undeniably that the scene has mutated a lot over the past two years, its stylistic coordinates haven't changed fundamentally, because instead of developing in one direction it's basically developed outwards in all directions.