elgato

I just dont know
loads of artists and djs cite 4x4 producers and djs as influences

but i think its got much more to do with house than anything else, and im pretty sure that pretty much all producers would say that

BareBones

wheezy
before all these DJs physically had enough homegrown "funky" dubs to play, they were (and certain Rinse DJs still are) largely mixing it in with US house and deep house stuff like Dennis Ferrer.

Did you catch the Dennis Ferrer essential mix a couple of weeks ago? It was ruddy brilliant.

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I take it you are implying that people are not giving funky's garage influence due credit? :D
No, I'm implying people are giving funky's garage roots due credit :). I mean really funky's just another Garage Ting, like grime and dubstep. The link from UK Garage back to US Garage has always been there (remember the pirate ads for "three rooms of house and garaaaaaage" back in 98/99?). I really enjoy the resurgence of the link in the soulful side of funky, from Circle to Crazy Cousinz to MA1 and many more. Same as I really enjoy the new grimey stuff, the banging soca stuff, kode's broken wonky stuff... calling it UK House is quite right though, the recontextualisation of the US gear can really change it IMO.

QueenofSheba

Keep It Funky!!
but i think its got much more to do with house than anything else, and im pretty sure that pretty much all producers would say that

Most funky producers tend to refer to the likes of Karizma, Kerri Chander, MAW etc as their influences. I think the diversity of the spund is an outcome of the different interpretations :slanted:

Shonx

Shallow House
Most funky producers tend to refer to the likes of Karizma, Kerri Chander, MAW etc as their influences. I think the diversity of the spund is an outcome of the different interpretations :slanted:

Glad someone else brought up Karizma - was thinking that to be the sort of ruffer end of broken beat (not that difficult admittedly)

BareBones

wheezy
It's on the last Blackdown show.

Otherwise, you'll have to see Kode, blackdown, nomos, heatwave live. It's not going on myspace for a while. Same for Loser remix.

Now, does anyone have an email address for Marcus Nasty?!?!

:eek:

I am as they say "'pon the d/l" as we speak.

Didn't marcus and mak10 say their email addresses on that rinse show? or was that just their myspaces? I seem to remember a hotmail being mentioned, but that might just be my swiss-cheese memory.

His email is on his facebook page if I remember correctly. It's blocked in work so i can't tell you for definite. I know Mak10's is.

Poet for Hire

I think there is a snippet of Kode9's first funky release on the hyperdub myspace player .
www.myspace.com/hyperdub

It comes in after that percussive, housey dubstep track. Not what I expected at all. Thought he would have gone down the ruffneck route, but its pretty girly.

Ory

warp drive
yeah. "Bad" has been rinsed for ages now, but this is the first time I'm hearing "2 Bad". interesting that he'd put a funky type tune on there.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
is it funky? or is it dubstep? sounds like lite percussive version of "Bad". somehow all that remains to distinguish it in there porus times is about 8 bpm, which is hardly that clear...

Ory

warp drive
is it funky? or is it dubstep? sounds like lite percussive version of "Bad". somehow all that remains to distinguish it in there porus times is about 8 bpm, which is hardly that clear...

The drums are so overtly housey, even disco-ey, in a way I've never heard in dubstep before. Even Mala's frantic drum workouts ("Shake Out Your Demons"..) haven't come close.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I wonder if Kode's funky will be played by DJs like Marcus (someone's about to tell me that he already HAS played it)?

I can imagine producers like Kode would make quite self-consciously experimental funky rather than the extremely functional dancefloor stuff which is experimental almost accidentally...