African YouTube

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i like the second one better.

really? I really like fire fables, I think he's out-Portisheading Portishead on heartbreak and reportage of 'realness', the video's heartbreaking, really good use of straight-to-camera blog style thing.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Dr Duda & Mr M-Bee

House Prescriptions

Funky, deep house. Tracks 6-9 are my favourites if you're put off at first, which go into much more minimal, funky, tech based work which pisses all over the stuff Londoners are trying to do at the moment under the term 'funky house'.

Fuck me, you couldn't be more right about this part.
Your chest for turning me on to this.

Benny Bunter

Here in the Northern Hemisphere, the first people to hear “Township Funk” discovered it online. Luke Williams and Oli Isaacs were getting their indie label This Is Music up and running when Williams stumbled upon the track on the music forum Dissensus, where a user had posted the song’s video in a thread called “African YouTube.” It was an era of extremes: Minimal techno and dubstep, both niche sounds, were in full swing, and buzzing, overdriven electro house was cresting. But MP3 blogs and YouTube were also fueling listeners’ restlessness for something new.

“I was like, ‘What the hell is this? Who is this guy?’” Williams says now. Struck by how that synth lead uncannily recalled long-forgotten strains of UK rave, he decided the song deserved a wider audience.

nilprenia

That afriville site appears to be defunct, but if we're here for South African music appreciation I've been enjoying this

sus

Unbeknownst to Williams, another Dissensus regular, Marcus Scott, who did A&R work for Warp, had stumbled upon the same African YouTube thread. Just a few days after Connor’s meeting with Williams, Scott called him up with a request: Could Warp license the song? Connor worked out an agreement that, in retrospect, seems almost quaint: This Is Music would get it for the UK, and Warp (which was distributed in South Africa through Sheer Music) would get it for the rest of the world.

sus

fkn wild. this forum helped DJ Mujava some money! good for him!

what was forum health/activity/user composition like then compared to now?

john eden

male pale and stale
fkn wild. this forum helped DJ Mujava some money! good for him!

what was forum health/activity/user composition like then compared to now?

Much busier back then with more posters. Still overwhelmingly male and white though. A lot of people just posting about music or just posting about philosophy so it was less cohesive than now.

Reactions: sus