Unreleased Burial tune

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
well, thank god for dissensus as i managed to read this before any of the articles and so i wont be clicking on the links either but yeah- what total assholes. un fucking believable.

hucks

Your Message Here
Fo real tho, this sucks.

Why? It's just a name. It's not like they doorsteppped him and printed a load of photos or something. In terms of revealing his identity, it's not much really.

Last edited:

Alfons

Way of the future
Why? It's just a name. It's not like they doorsteppped him and printed a load of photos or something. In terms of revealing his identity, it's not much really.

Like I mentioned upthread it just took a little something away from me and as most people know about his wanting to remain anonymous and secretive maybe they should respect his wishes.

jonny mugwump

exotic pylon
totally agreed- its such a simple thing to respect and pretty disgusting to betray an artistic confidence like that. he's worked hard to maintain something thats important to him on a personal and aesthetic level and as usual, leave it to a fucking journalist to screw it all up.

nomos

Administrator
it takes a very small (or uninformed) person to do that (or if BMI is the culprit, the soulessness of the publishing industry).

however...

coincidently this is also the name of a established funeral directors

...i'm going to assume that the fiction remains one step ahead.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Jesus...journalists :(

this wasn't in the music section was it? or was it? all i'm thinking is some news/features journo didn't realise the implications of what they were doing in revealing his name (because, clearly, of having done NO research... ahem... 'dubstar') - so someone else, maybe at elliot, or one of the musicians, must've given the journo the name. unless they got it off that website. either way it sucks though, it really does.

Logos

Ghosts of my life
this wasn't in the music section was it? or was it? all i'm thinking is some news/features journo didn't realise the implications of what they were doing in revealing his name (because, clearly, of having done NO research... ahem... 'dubstar') - so someone else, maybe at elliot, or one of the musicians, must've given the journo the name. unless they got it off that website. either way it sucks though, it really does.

Think it was in the music section but don't know who the journalist is. I find it breathtaking just in terms of the purported ethics of the profession that you can reveal someone's name in the same sentence as describing their Banksy-esque anonymity. I'd hope someone else at the paper would have picked it up.

Deserves a letter to the indy or something.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I must be the only one here who doesn't see the tragedy in this whole affair.

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and at the end of the day Burial is just a recording artist. I think it would do everybody well to have writers and listeners removed from this anonymity smoke-and-mirrors bullshit that they drink so heavily before reviewing and listening to his albums. People might focus a little more on how good the music actually IS now.

He came face-to-face with an objective journalist. Deal with it.

Logos

Ghosts of my life

It was bound to happen sooner or later, and at the end of the day Burial is just a recording artist. I think it would do everybody well to have writers and listeners removed from this anonymity smoke-and-mirrors bullshit that they drink so heavily before reviewing and listening to his albums. People might focus a little more on how good the music actually IS now.

He came face-to-face with an objective journalist. Deal with it.

You have a point in that a lot of press on Burial, especially mainstream music section coverage, has laboured on the anonymity point to the expense of talking about the music, which just confirms what I think about the majority of journalists i.e. they are lazy. Blogging has seen the best critical takes on the music.

But still, I just find it depressing another human being can't abide by another's (reasonable) express wishes.

1. that's not his real name...I don't think so anyway and if so props to Blackdown on the double bluff lol

2. not every journo is in this dubstep or music bubble. the article isn't soley about him...it's besides the main point

3. if it was...aren't you guys baiting it up by continuning to go on about it? wouldn't it be best to just say "nah it's fake" and KIM?

sick beat still

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, you can colour me not overly arsed as well.

His music was never going to be anonymous in the way that a random jungle white label is anonymous - it was 'mystery producer' rather than just 'we haven't bothered to tell you who this is because it's not really important.' It's quite a fun gimmick but I'm not really sure how much significance it carries beyond that.

And in terms of his privacy or whatever, I don't think knowing his name (although tbh I've forgotten it already) is that much of an issue. I mean, everyone knows who people like N-Type and Benga and Kode 9 and Skream are - they do interviews, they do radio shows, they show up on forums and blogs from time to time, there's certainly no element of secrecy to them. But I'm not really sure how much I actually know about them. Certainly N-Type's love life isn't all over the gossip magazines, people aren't hounding his mum for stories about what he was like as a kid... come to that, I'm not sure I can remember any of their names either.

nomos

Administrator
I think it's reasonable for people to want a bit of mystery and mystification in their lives, especially given current pop culture's miserable fixation on 'reality'/debunking/demystification/voyeurism.

It's like digging up Sun Ra's birth certificate to prove he's not from Saturn. You know... congratulations detective :rolleyes:

Anyway...

1. that's not his real name...I don't think so anyway

I have some reason to suspect the same - a little Chuck U Farley I think. But what do I know.