the concept of "cheesy"

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
The feeling I normally get around people enjoying things ironically is that whatever cultural product they have chosen as their ostensible motivation actually means rather little to them - there is no real connect.

The ironic attitude is an enabling attitude to have, as one can put oneself in a range of social contexts without becoming properly implicated (one refuses to identify) nor affected (one refuses to submit).
I think a lot of the time it's refusing to become implicated that's the important part - it can be partly a way of enjoying the music without having to buy into the culture or admitting you like it - maybe you've always taken it as axiomatic that manufactured pop is rubbish and you can only accept Kylie into your life by maintaining an ironic distance, maybe you're a middle class white suburbanite and although you love the tropes and sounds of jungle you think you'd look get the piss ripped out of you if you actually started taking them seriously in relation to your own lifestyle.

zhao

there are no accidents
amazes me sometimes the difference of perspective can be so staggering: i was playing a really great conscious reggae tune, may have been Garnet Silk, one that i really really feel, the kind of number that is capable of making the eyes moist... and my minimal techno friend says "it just sounds like Christian R'n'B".

and the thing is, 5 years ago i probably would have agreed with him... so not only the perspectives can be miles apart, but the shifts between them can be so dramatic...

nomos

Administrator
what was going on earlier which was more of an "if you take pleasure in things ironically you're a jerk" thing
not sure why you chose to quote me since i made a brief comment at the top of the thread before it went into several different directions. i haven't called anyone anything, judged anyone over their tastes, or lost my understanding of irony.

UFO over easy

online mahjong
not sure why you chose to quote me since i made a brief comment at the top of the thread before it went into several different directions. i haven't called anyone anything, judged anyone over their tastes, or lost my understanding of irony.

sorry dude that just seemed to be the one that most concisely summed up what I was arguing against

zhao

there are no accidents
1 hour into my set at BOOMBX 2 nights ago, just got into some sweet Hiplife after a few rather hard Kuzomba hitters, this guy comes up to me and say
"can we move away from Ibiza and a little more toward Berlin please?"
when i told him that this wasn't Hed Kandi, but Ghanian dancehall,
he said "all this cheesy stuff sounds like Ibiza to me."

i guess all happy music is "Ibiza". and all cold, dark, monotony is "Berlin".

i mean i like Tresor as much as the next guy, but it was literally the first real summer night warm enough to be outside on the grass, under the stars.

do we have to have the same pumping techno ALL THE TIME??? fuck.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Hehe you're too nice. I think I would have inflicted some actual Ibiza anthems on him. Or maybe something insanely happy like soca.

Edit: what am I even talking about though? I don't DJ. Don't mind me I've just bored here.

zhao

there are no accidents
Thai bubble gum psych would have been fucking great! i should have. really should have.

zhao

there are no accidents
also got me thinking about just what a HUGE factor the weather is in determining musical taste of a place.

a GINORMOUS factor i would say.

mms

sometimes
i don't really get berlin techno really, its too dry, never liked basic channel really, always preferred rhythm and sound.

zhao some interesting ideas here, i'll stick with cheapened emotion for the descriptor of cheesy, as everything else seems to be wrapped up in kinda cultural one upmanship, like your guy with the less ibiza more berlin, if something is honestly delivered and it hits you with emotion or a particular type of energy, then it works, for example as much as i love 'in the morning' 'sexy sexy' and 'do you mind' there are lots of other funky tracks out there with vocals that some people call sexy but aren't cos they're blandly delivered and have boring cliched lyrics, but something like that new lil silva track on night slugs sounds sexier cos of it's mood and intensity but it's just a square wave bass and a drum.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
and then there is another kind of cheesy which i share with probably not too many people: like i think blog-house or electro-house by numbers is incredibly cheesy.

in this case it's about contrived obviousness, and thoughtless adherence to formula.

swears

preppy-kei
Well there's another way to use it though... in a completely negative sense.
ie. trance with big snare rushes is cheesy shit.
snare rushes are just cheesy.

whereas something like, say, madonna's first LP or depeche mode's, i would not dream of describing as cheesy cos they are both just great albums.

for me cheesy is purely a diss.

i am not ironic :)

yeah i would not respect someone who said this.

Don't you think there's at least an element of humour in some of the music you've done? Stuff like "Street Boys"?

I don't see there being anything wrong with irony per se, depends whether it's in the service of something greater.

mms

sometimes
Don't you think there's at least an element of humour in some of the music you've done? Stuff like "Street Boys"?

I don't see there being anything wrong with irony per se, depends whether it's in the service of something greater.

snare rushes are quite fun i think.

zhao

there are no accidents
Imagine hangin about wif Zhao...................Jesus :(

curious why you feel what ever it is you feel? do i come off as self important, self righteous, self absorbed, smug, and tyrannical? do you think more smug than the guy who told me to stop playing happy music?

i think in real life you'll find that i'm actually a nice and caring person. like i'm actually interested in other people and their experiences, and don't just want to talk about myself, only about Black Athena or Coupe Decale.

I think it would be a laugh. If I ever go to Berlin i'll him a shout.

you should swears.

also: am going to make you a cheesy "ibiza" soundtrack for your new positive outlook :)