haircuts

tom pr

A spin off from the fashion thread with a hint of the facial hair discussion in confessions: dissensus haircuts. How do you favour your hair? what's the best haircut you've ever had, and what's the best place you've ever had it cut? anecdotes (or even pictures!) about embarrassing 'dos of the past encouraged.

also- seeing as a fair contingent of the board live in hackney, none of you go to the clip joint on well st by any chance?

Leo

most adventurous: once went to one of those "hairdresser in training" nights at vidal sassoon where you get a free cut but have to surrender to the imagination/skills of the stylist. ended up looking exactly like terry hall circa funboy 3: boxhead with the "edges" highlighted in blond. actually looked kinda cool back then, when i was in my early 20s and without any particular career path.

Jonesy

Wild Horses
I had a lopsided Phil Oakey when I was about 15. Though I was unaware of him at the time. Not sure where I got the idea.

With a hairline that is slowly creeping back and fine hair I keep it short these days.

just shaved a mohican/mohawk (whatever, not the really long one) into my head two days ago

havent left the house yet

fearing the stares

actually i liked having a bifro (white boy afro) - at the point it got good about 9months into the growing, it was looking so good for the week before my mum marched me to the hairdressers.:( pure conditioning - so soft

tom pr

With a hairline that is slowly creeping back and fine hair I keep it short these days.

my hair is getting increasingly fine, and i'm 22! it's a scary prospect and i didn't know how bad it had got until i had the bright idea of shaving it a couple of months ago and had to watch it grow back. it's reached an acceptable length now and i think i'm gonna keep it that way - it's fun to have loads of hair but it's much simpler not to.

big-hair.JPG
short-hair.JPG

left pic is from a couple of years ago, probably biggest it's got (i dont think you could ever call it long). right pic is now. both with my smiley friend john eden.

Last edited:

tom pr

most adventurous: once went to one of those "hairdresser in training" nights at vidal sassoon where you get a free cut but have to surrender to the imagination/skills of the stylist.
I did not know these existed but they sound amazing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
actually i liked having a bifro (white boy afro) - at the point it got good about 9months into the growing, it was looking so good for the week before my mum marched me to the hairdressers.:( pure conditioning - so soft

Haha, I thought you meant your mum was sort of 'conditioned' to find your hair unacceptable and make you cut it. :)

Last edited:
S

simon silverdollar

i go to Tower Barbers, on new cavendish street, off tottenham court road. it's a really old school place, run by this fantastic cockney guy who's the only hairdresser i've ever met who likes to chat about Babylonian history.

Pestario

tell your friends
4 back and sides, 5 on top with some hair to syle at the front :) That's the basic formula I've been rocking for most of my life

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
Probably my favourite was when I had very long dreads. Long time ago now.

My wife has persuaded me to go for the Byronic / floppy-haired Englishman look and I am much happier with it than short back and sides. Hint - very short hair is likely to accentuate fat on the face. One of the great advantages of being older is grey hair - assuming you still have it, it gives you free highlights.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
One of the great advantages of being older is grey hair - assuming you still have it, it gives you free highlights.

Yeah, my hair's dark brown and I'm hoping I start to go silvery just at the 'wing tips' above my ears, for that Brando-in-Godfather look. :D

bassnation

the abyss
Probably my favourite was when I had very long dreads. Long time ago now.

My wife has persuaded me to go for the Byronic / floppy-haired Englishman look and I am much happier with it than short back and sides. Hint - very short hair is likely to accentuate fat on the face. One of the great advantages of being older is grey hair - assuming you still have it, it gives you free highlights.

i used to have a mohican when i was an anarcho punk in my youth, along with the 14 hole dms, bomber jacket, ripped jeans. thats probably the most outlandish i've ever looked and even then was fairly tribal rather than breaking new ground in any way.

yes, its true about short hair accentuating fat, but depends on the hair - if i grow mine long it grows outwards and it makes my head look bigger not smaller. but i've lost so much weight over the last year i can pull off just about any look without the merest hint of looking fat.

i know this will probably be viewed as some kind of fashion faux pa (but really, who gives a shit) but i like rocking a beard these days. thats the good thing about rolling into your middle aged. i've got grey at the temples and can pull off the distinguished cultured look - despite all the evidence to the contrary!

i can't believe you had dreads - got any photos you'd like to share with the group? ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If you're white, the only way to successfully pull off dreads is to pair them with a grubby tee-shirt featuring Bob Marley smoking a big spliff. :cool:

viktorvaughn

I think re: hair the simpler the better. Any dye is just wrong and totally emasculating in my opinion (aside from a fuck-you bright red or blue I suppose).

Short back and sides with an old school side parting is nice.

A number 2 or 3 on you if you are slimmish and have good features

UFO over easy

online mahjong
I dunno.. depends if the dreads are clean or not. I think if they're well kept white girl dreads can look pretty hot.

I know a couple of girls that did that vidal sassoon training hairdresser thing and looked amazing after

I know a couple of guys that did it and they ended up looking like idiots :D