uk rock versus us rock

STN

sou'wester
I don't know, I'm always surprised at how good the first Dead Boys LP is.

Some Roky Erikson solo stuff rocks and is good indeed.

Benny Bunter

def does not rock

Don't you like him then?

The Milkshakes = best rock n roll band since the early beatles ;)

As I sort of said before, there's definitely a difference between Rock bands and Rock n Roll bands, and we're all getting a bit mixed up here. You mention the Sonics there (great band), but they're more of a rock n roll band to me.

And I'm sorry mate but Aerosmith have always been pants...

Benny Bunter

this thread has confused me... it is clear only about 33% of dissensians understand what rocks:

bands that rock AND are good:

black sabbath
black flag
stooges
the sonics
sex pistols
jimi hendrix
aerosmith (up to 1979)
jesus lizard
laughing hyenas
bad brains
zz top (up to 79 as well, maybe early 80's...)
johnny thunders and the heartbreakers

bands that rock, yet ARE NOT THAT GOOD (ie. for the most part can not write songs or play):

blue cheer (who ever said summertime blues sucks is a retard)
alice cooper
motorhead
deep purple
budgie
grand funk
ac/dc
man (early stuff)
slade

bands that DO NOT ROCK, yet are good

pere ubu
joy division
can

note:

the velvet underground and led zeppelin both SOMETIMES rock...

also:

bands that "FAKE" rocking:

the clash
the rolling stones (a good "groove" band from 66-73, but i never believe them rocking...)
van halen (i am sorry to me, they do not rock)

LOL

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
there's definitely a difference between Rock bands and Rock n Roll bands, and we're all getting a bit mixed up here.
True. But also it is the case that some Rock bands do not rock, while some Rock n Roll bands do.

And whether you like them or not, Aerosmith plainly rock* From what I know of The Sonics they rock as well I would say.

* OK - you didn't question this. ;)

Last edited:

Benny Bunter

True. But also it is the case that some Rock bands do not rock, while some Rock n Roll bands do.

Agreed there. This is such a vague subject that its very difficult to have a meaningful discussion, beyond listing bands that get you going.

Going back to the original subject of this thread, its clear that the Americans win hands down here. They own the territory don't they?

petergunn

plywood violin

And whether you like them or not, Aerosmith plainly rock* From what I know of The Sonics they rock as well I would say.

* OK - you didn't question this. ;)

you win:

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

note:

billy childish is a very great sort of english art experiment homage to real actual rocking, but he himself DOES NOT ROCK...

the dead boys ARE awesome, but they go under: bands that rock but are NOT that good, as the best songs on their first LP were written by the Pere Ubu dude... (who does not rock, yet writes great songs...)

the sonics have a lot of rock n roll band songs (i.e all their chuck berry and little richard covers) however, listen to them play:

psycho
keep a knocking
the hustler
the witch
boss hoss

and it is pretty obvious they rock the fuck out completely, like in a raw animal way that few bands ever touch

petergunn

plywood violin
Agreed there. This is such a vague subject that its very difficult to have a meaningful discussion, beyond listing bands that get you going.

Going back to the original subject of this thread, its clear that the Americans win hands down here. They own the territory don't they?

in general, but plenty of british bands DO rock:

the pistols

the damned (in a fun fair sort of way)

DISCHARGE (fuck yes)

motorhead

sham 69 (that live version of "rip off" rocks to no end)

slade (their cover of "move over" by janis joplin rocks so hard it is painful)

the who (admitally only like 15% of the time, but that live version of My generation on the smothers brothers show where the entire drum kit explodes ROCKS)

the Kinks- rocked for about 7 songs, but the influence of those 7 songs and the fact that Dave Davies played lead guitar like a man with a hook for a hand = ROCK

but, there is a real primal, gritty, lose your fucking mind thing involved in REALLY rocking out that a lot of british bands do not get... however, there is live version of sunshine of your love where ginger baker's eyes are like rolling in the back of his head as he is playing that simple dumb ass drum beat, so there are always exceptions...

like, Frigid Pink, a very dumb dumb band, but man do they fucking rock...

the dead boys ARE awesome, but they go under: bands that rock but are NOT that good, as the best songs on their first LP were written by the Pere Ubu dude... (who does not rock, yet writes great songs...)

If you can tell tell me that David Thomas doesn't let it totally loose on What Love Is for Rocket, I don't know what to say...

Absolute face-melter! Still slays me...

petergunn

plywood violin
If you can tell tell me that David Thomas doesn't let it totally loose on What Love Is for Rocket, I don't know what to say...

Absolute face-melter! Still slays me...

rocket from the tombs, i think, do rock, but everything i have heard from them the sound quality has been so poor i couldn't tell... to rock, it has to hit you in the nuts...

peter laughner DOES rock, i can tell you that much, on early pere ubu records he is the ROCK part...

oh and the Electric Eels, whilst totally awesome, sick, ahead of their time, and mental, do not rock... their are too shakey sounding...

Crazy talk from the rock gatekeeper! As i understood it they presented themselves as a glam rock band of sorts...though of course i only heard them and their story very after the time. The bozoid thuggish quality they have is essentially ROCK in my eyes. or ears.

Sham 69 and Discharge on the other hand are certainly punk which is a whole nother kettle of coconuts :p

I've got an appalling hangover and i just got a couple of good laughs out of this thread :D

Maybe I'll dig out my VHS of "Texas Jam '78"

Benny Bunter

in general, but plenty of british bands DO rock:

the pistols

the damned (in a fun fair sort of way)

DISCHARGE (fuck yes)

motorhead

sham 69 (that live version of "rip off" rocks to no end)

slade (their cover of "move over" by janis joplin rocks so hard it is painful)

the who (admitally only like 15% of the time, but that live version of My generation on the smothers brothers show where the entire drum kit explodes ROCKS)

the Kinks- rocked for about 7 songs, but the influence of those 7 songs and the fact that Dave Davies played lead guitar like a man with a hook for a hand = ROCK

but, there is a real primal, gritty, lose your fucking mind thing involved in REALLY rocking out that a lot of british bands do not get... however, there is live version of sunshine of your love where ginger baker's eyes are like rolling in the back of his head as he is playing that simple dumb ass drum beat, so there are always exceptions...

like, Frigid Pink, a very dumb dumb band, but man do they fucking rock...

Glad you mentioned The Pistols, just watched Filth and the fury again last night. Still blows my mind.

And You Really Got Me might well be the best rock song ever written and played.

Was it you who said the Stones didn't rock? Are you MAD!

Note that all the bands we're talking about are fucking at least 30 years old :slanted:

petergunn

plywood violin
Crazy talk from the rock gatekeeper! As i understood it they presented themselves as a glam rock band of sorts...though of course i only heard them and their story very after the time. The bozoid thuggish quality they have is essentially ROCK in my eyes. or ears.

Sham 69 and Discharge on the other hand are certainly punk which is a whole nother kettle of coconuts :p

I've got an appalling hangover and i just got a couple of good laughs out of this thread :D

Maybe I'll dig out my VHS of "Texas Jam '78"

Texxas Jam (2 x's pleez) will be full of rocking... HEART, one of the few female bands that really rock... (CAN O WORMS)... actually Girlschool kinda rock... and L7, while a completely shitty band, do rock...

ay, punk is a whole different ballgame, but plenty of punk bands DO NOT ROCK (see: the clash...) in fact, w/ the exception of a few of Dee Dee Ramone's hardcore influenced songs ("WARTHOG"), the Ramones actually do not really rock, they are just sped up bubblegum pop...

but, believe me, if Discharge were a fucking trad folk band, they would still rock, Sham 69, i am not sure about...

lastly, re: Eels, i used to work w/ Anton Fier who saw the Eels more than most (they did nto play that many shows) and the impression i get is that while they were raw, crazy, and weird, they were not really rock... almost the begining of anti-rock... the glam element was more alice cooper derived shock, but brought down to a real blue collar level...

petergunn

plywood violin
Glad you mentioned The Pistols, just watched Filth and the fury again last night. Still blows my mind.

And You Really Got Me might well be the best rock song ever written and played.

Was it you who said the Stones didn't rock? Are you MAD!

Note that all the bands we're talking about are fucking at least 30 years old :slanted:

the stones build up a very fearsome GROOVE, but they do not ROCK... some songs of theirs rock (sympathy for the devil), but in general, they are more about a steady groove then truly over the top rockin' out... this is not a bad thing, but does a Stones song ever make you lose your shit, really?

there are plenty of new bands that rock, i just can't be bothered to care...

Benny Bunter

The Stones' first album (made up almost entirely of covers) might make you lose yer shit. No 'steady grooves' on that one, its absolutely flat-out.

petergunn

plywood violin
The Stones' first album (made up almost entirely of covers) might make you lose yer shit. No 'steady grooves' on that one, its absolutely flat-out.

it's a good POP album, but compared to the originals of those tunes (as the entire LP is covers), or the first PRETTY THINGS lp, it does not rock...

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think petergunn has it pretty much correct wrt the Electric Eels and Sham 69.

Sham 69 while wanting to nominally be a punk band were always more Rock. Whether they actually rocked is another matter, sometimes perhaps. Either way they were mostly shit.

Electric Eels, from what I know, don't strike me as wanting to rock, yes almost the opposite. Definitely more punk than rock.

It's tricky though because in no small way punk embodies and revives something very primal that is already there in true rock.