uk rock versus us rock

Benny Bunter

it's a good POP album, but compared to the originals of those tunes (as the entire LP is covers), or the first PRETTY THINGS lp, it does not rock...

Have to disagree with you here. I just realised that I've got a copy of the first Pretty Things album and its basically very similar to the early stones, Bo Diddley style RnB, only it doesn't rock anywhere near as hard as something like 'Carol' or 'I just want to make love to you' off the Stones debut. Not a bad record though (some of the playing is hilariously inept, in a good way!).

petergunn

plywood violin
Have to disagree with you here. I just realised that I've got a copy of the first Pretty Things album and its basically very similar to the early stones, Bo Diddley style RnB, only it doesn't rock anywhere near as hard as something like 'Carol' or 'I just want to make love to you' off the Stones debut. Not a bad record though (some of the playing is hilariously inept, in a good way!).

agree to disagree. i think the Pretty Things are the only 60's UK band to do a credible versions of r&b...

i will admit that the Stones version of "i wanna be your man" does rock completely...

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Electric Frankenstein rock, and they're punk, though very much the American kind of punk.

I can't believe no-one's said The Cramps yet! ('pologies if anyone has and I've missed it)

petergunn

plywood violin
Yeah

Ryan L = occult metal avatar

Villians do indeed rock...

cool to see them get a shout on the web... my friend Pat plays guitar for them... have their first CD-R demo somewhere... actually saw them blow one of my favorite bands Easy Action off stage...

vimothy

yurp
Villians do indeed rock...

cool to see them get a shout on the web... my friend Pat plays guitar for them... have their first CD-R demo somewhere... actually saw them blow one of my favorite bands Easy Action off stage...

Word -- I'm a big fan of the album they put out on NWN!

And of Ryan's stuff generally. Have you heard his (now defunct) Autopsy-meets-Darkthrone-in-a-haze-of-skunk-smoke project Thralldom?

petergunn

plywood violin
Word -- I'm a big fan of the album they put out on NWN!

And of Ryan's stuff generally. Have you heard his (now defunct) Autopsy-meets-Darkthrone-in-a-haze-of-skunk-smoke project Thralldom?

ryan = "the drummer"?

if so, i have seen quite a few of his solo noise projects... INTENSE... he is a sick musician by any standards...

vimothy

yurp
ryan = "the drummer"?

if so, i have seen quite a few of his solo noise projects... INTENSE... he is a sick musician by any standards...

No, Ryan Lipinksy the singer and maybe guitarist as well (?)

He's also in a well known (and pretty good) doom band called unearthly trance. And a noise band called abandoner and a BM band called howling wind.

petergunn

plywood violin
No, Ryan Lipinksy the singer and maybe guitarist as well (?)

He's also in a well known (and pretty good) doom band called unearthly trance. And a noise band called abandoner and a BM band called howling wind.

yo, ryan and the bass player are the two cats from the Villians i do not know personally... however, their combination of slayer and black flag = best thing ever.... Leno (their singer) equals = pure Staten Island filth....

swears

preppy-kei
I think Black Flag's "Police Story" should be the official theme tune of the Republican's 2008 election campaign.

Whereas our Tories should run with The Jam's "Time For Truth".

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
yo, ryan and the bass player are the two cats from the Villians i do not know personally... however, their combination of slayer and black flag = best thing ever.... Leno (their singer) equals = pure Staten Island filth....

Ah, Ryan is the guitarist... right.

Have you heard their album? It fucking rips!

swears

preppy-kei
"Understand, we're fighting a war we can't win. They hate us, we hate them. We can't win, no way."

040416_mccain_vmed_1p_widec.jpg

swears

preppy-kei
"What are you trying to say that haven't tried to say before? You're just another red balloon with a lot of hot gas. Why don't you fuck off? You think you've got it worked out, and you think you've got it made, and you trying to play the hero. But you never walk home in the dark. I think it's time for truth, and the truth is you've lost uncle Jimmy. Admit your failure and decline with honour while you can."

david_cameron_speaking.jpg