uk rock versus us rock

vimothy

yurp
I could have said that myself, but I think it depends more on what one considers to be worthwhile?

I don't know -- I'd say that there's not too much modern UK Rock to discuss (though, obviously, it depends on what you mean by Rock).

Extremity is good. I'm just wondering if it's possible to do decent rock that isn't noise overload / twenty minute songs etc. Or would that just be the D*****ss?

It's definitely possible. I think the problem is, is that in this country no one cuts loose any more, so it's either Travis or Whitehouse, and never the twain shall meet.

This has come up a few times - mantric / motoric black metal. Not sure where they are from but it's really good. Very, er, committed.

ALUK TODOLO
'Descension'
http://www.riotseason.com/REPOSELP015.htm

They're from France. And to be fair it has to be said that Craig Clouse (ca. 50% of Shit and Shine) is an American, Texas if I recall correctly, who's been living in the UK for a while but started out in the late 80s/early 90s noiserock scene. I believe he was even part of Hammerhead at one point. It's even more obvious in Shit & Shine's sister band Todd.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
does anyone know if the following bands rock or not?

Leafhound

Blue Cheer (I have heard their first album and it's crap).

leafhound are ace, but less 'rock' than atomic rooster. probably.

blue cheer are alright! if you can get past summertime blues, which is total shit.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
I think the problem is, is that in this country no one cuts loose any more
How do people feel about Chrome Hoof? They would seem to promise so much but I've never been particularly impressed, too heavy handed and stodgy or something. I got bored last time I saw them. There's so many of them I bet at least one member posts here.

What's that Rise Above label all about? Is it something to do with someone from Electric Wizard? They seem to be covering some kind of neo-prog ground, amongst other things.

Last edited:

Leo

what about fucked up ("year of the pig")? times new viking? boris (ok, neither uk nor us but...)? pissed jeans? japanther?

mms

sometimes
How do people feel about Chrome Hoof? They would seem to promise so much but I've never been particularly impressed, too heavy handed and stodgy or something. I got bored last time I saw them. There's so many of them I bet at least one member posts here.

What's that Rise Above label all about? Is it something to do with someone from Electric Wizard? They seem to be covering some kind of neo-prog ground, amongst other things.

rise above is lee dorian's label - him from cathedral - they put out elexctric wizard amongst a bunch of stoner rock stuff and some neo prog stuff like the ace diagonal etc.
rise above rock, they also have a reissue label called rise above relics - they've got a very wide take on rock and rocking

i think chromehoof's albums are great but they need to relax a bit.

Last edited:

tom pr

Extremity is good. I'm just wondering if it's possible to do decent rock that isn't noise overload / twenty minute songs etc. Or would that just be the D*****ss?
Torche's new album Meanderthal is very good and is pretty much all two/three/four minute rock songs - no noise overload.
there's this emergence of new punk bands who defo rock: Death Set, Ponytail, Double Dagger, Fucked Up, No Age, Mika Miko...

Can't believe people are talking about best recent british rock bands and not mentioning Jesu.
Geisha's Mondo Dell'Orrore is incredible too, one of the best rock albums of the last few years and they're from Bristol.

STN

sou'wester
summertime blues, which is total shit.

You really aren't wrong about this.

Chromehoof I thought were great the first time I saw them, the second time I did get a bit bored. Never heard any of their albums though.

petergunn

plywood violin
this thread has confused me... it is clear only about 33% of dissensians understand what rocks:

bands that rock AND are good:

black sabbath
black flag
stooges
the sonics
sex pistols
jimi hendrix
aerosmith (up to 1979)
jesus lizard
laughing hyenas
bad brains
zz top (up to 79 as well, maybe early 80's...)
johnny thunders and the heartbreakers

bands that rock, yet ARE NOT THAT GOOD (ie. for the most part can not write songs or play):

blue cheer (who ever said summertime blues sucks is a retard)
alice cooper
motorhead
deep purple
budgie
grand funk
ac/dc
man (early stuff)
slade

bands that DO NOT ROCK, yet are good

pere ubu
joy division
can

note:

the velvet underground and led zeppelin both SOMETIMES rock...

also:

bands that "FAKE" rocking:

the clash
the rolling stones (a good "groove" band from 66-73, but i never believe them rocking...)
van halen (i am sorry to me, they do not rock)

petergunn

plywood violin
oh and the Electric Eels, whilst totally awesome, sick, ahead of their time, and mental, do not rock... their are too shakey sounding...

STN

sou'wester
I'm soooooooooooooooooooooo agitated!

The Dead Boys, on the other hand, most surely do rock.