80's R'n'B/Electro-soul

luka

i remember talking to matthew ingrma and he was saying he wanted to do a woebot feature on fruity 80s synth solos... have a listen to the one at the start of this record!

horrible, but somehow alluring....

DannyL

Wild Horses
Ooh good call with Frankie Knuckles. What a tune. Another one of those ones I used to own and have no idea where it's gone.

luka

wow, how good is that aleem! one of the reasons this music sounds so good to me and resonates so strongly is that i first came across a lot of this stuff as samples in hardcore, jungle, 2-step, hiphop etc.... like the first one i posted, body fusion, i'm sure those strings were on some jungle record or other....
it also means the boundaries do blur for me, r&b, house, freestyle, electro (at least with vocals) its all r&b plus new technology.... it all sounds so good.
(can't do jazz funk though, doesn't work for me, unless the miles davis stuff counts)

3 Body No Problem

I love this music, but I find it a bit difficult to get these freestyle 80s sounds out of Logic Pro. Anybody got tips for plugins, VSTs, sample libraries to get the sounds right?

i remember talking to matthew ingrma and he was saying he wanted to do a woebot feature on fruity 80s synth solos... have a listen to the one at the start of this record!

horrible, but somehow alluring....

that's a saxophone!

craner

Beast of Burden

Beautiful song!

+ what an amazing life he's having!

Lillo Thomas was a world-class sprinter at 16, setting the world record for the 200 meters at 20.8 seconds. But an automobile accident in Brazil prevented him from appearing in the 1984 Olympics, for which he had qualified. Thomas left athletics behind for music, and toured with comedian Eddie Murphy in 1985. He became a successful session vocalist, doing vocals on releases by Evelyn "Champagne" King, Kashif, James Ingram, George Benson, and Melba Moore, among others, while also writing "Mind Up Tonight" for Moore. He landed his own solo deal with Capitol, and began getting singles on the charts. "Your Love's Got a Hold on Me" was his first Top 20 R&B single in 1984, and Thomas enjoyed his biggest year in 1987 with three Top Ten R&B hits. "I'm in Love" reached number two and remains his most successful single. Thomas collaborated with Paul Laurence on songs recorded by Freddie Jackson and Moore. He has also successfully acted and painted.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
'Main Thing' by Shot. The vocal on this is simultaneously grating and ravishing. It's totally lovely, though.

luka

nice one craner! fantastic performance/ i thought i had you banned from dissensus though! i added an infraction. and i done i'll be a freak for you ages ago anyway.

live!

smoooth!

this is a good comment on this song...
"perfect music for lovemaking and to dedicate to the girl u love
im 19, going to school for recorsing engineering"

thanks mate! i always read the youtube comments.

footage from top of the pops
i like this song a lot

i like mary jane girls. the intro on this reminds me of speak and spell or something.
this is the famous one though.... did mary j blige cover it? someone did... my memory is terrible.... great song