giving up coffee

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Caffeine's not too good - can cause heart irregularities and mood swings, and instant coffee is obviously not a good choise, but coffee is said to do good things for reduced risk of stroke, diabetes and dementia in men so its swings and roundabouts like much else.

Pestario

tell your friends
I love coffee, my morning caffeine rush + ipod commute combo is the only thing that gets me up in the morning sometimes

I still stick to only one cup a day though and drink green tea to drag out the come down

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
McKenna disappoints me, I'd have hoped he'd be pushing for a freebase-DMT-break at the very least.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I can't really drink coffee very much, it induces this bizarre panic state in my body that makes me feel sick. I think it's something to do with the high-caffeine content, plus it being hot. If I need a mild, comforting sobering: strong sugary tea. If I need a good kick in the arse = red bull.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Coffe does appalling things to one's body - I get really shaky if i have it without any food, or even sometimes with. They sell this stuff downstairs from where i work that i'm sure should be illegal - it's liek they've siphoned the caffeine out of 5 full-strength coffees, extracted almost all the coffee flavour, added foam and called it a cappucino.

"you're not going to live to be a hundred years old, or even seventy, unless you are statistically in the improbably group."

thanks terence mckenna - and i needed cheering up :slanted:

CHAOTROPIC

on account
I cut out tea for about half a year after bad flu kept me from drinking it for a week. I got worried about the crippling headaches that I suddenly realised ... weren't flu. It's odd to feel addiction that physically. Coasted fine in uncaffeinated splendour until I got bored of feeling calm & flat & uninspired. Honestly, life was just so much more interesting with that fluttery edge of paranoia.

Terence McKenna was kindof talking out of his arse though. Every cell in the body of every single centenarian in the whole of Britain is utterly soaked in tea.

Unless coffee is wildly different than tea.

Is it?

viktorvaughn

Big up tea, drink of the nation and salve of worlds.

Coffee at the weekend or at the end of a nice meal but tea is the workhorse dragging me through the working day.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
I don't ever drink coffee at home & don't particularly like the stuff. Just chain-drink tea all day.

But I just can't bring myself to order tea when I'm out. It just seems wrong to sit in a cafe & pay two quid for a tiny pot of tea full of shitty Lipton Yellow Label with the tags dangling onto the doily. It's like ordering Penne Arabiata in a restaurant. You can make better at home.

Plus, Coffee just has so much more of a sense of ... occasion.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
this thread has made me feel like a complete caffeine addict. which, of course, i am, but that's not the point.

i'll have visions of 30 years trimmed off my lifespan when i reach for the Lavazza tomorrow.

Turksih/Lebanese/Syrian coffee is the best, hands down. Though an espresso in a Parisian cafe in the morning has somethign special about it.

CHAOTROPIC

on account
an espresso in a Parisian cafe in the morning has somethign special about it.

I was in Paris recently & discovered the joy of the freshly baked French bread breakfast washed down with a "meal bowl" of milky coffee. Just the absolutely perfect way to start the morning. It took an hour to finish the thing. A cat could have had a fucking bath in it.

Client Eastwood

I only really drink tea no suger. About 6 cups a day if im at work. Am now thinking about getting a tea pot and brew from leaves

I dont mind the occasional coffee but If I have more than a couple in a day it find it stirs up bad things in my guts (colitis) so I just tend not to drink it at all. I find the same with those caffine/suger drinks.

Oh and with Tea you can chuck in some cardoman (sp?) pods/or fennel for a special treat. Nice.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was in Paris recently & discovered the joy of the freshly baked French bread breakfast washed down with a "meal bowl" of milky coffee. Just the absolutely perfect way to start the morning. It took an hour to finish the thing. A cat could have had a fucking bath in it.

I forgot about the meal bowls! Stuff like that makes me wish I lived in Paris a bit longer (then I remmeber the rudenesses...). Not to get starry-eyed, but I love the "continental" attention to the pleasures of daily life - Britain is like a self-hating ascetic in this regard.

Oh, and you can definitely add cardamom to coffee too, Mr Diddley! In fact, it's best that way.

nochexxx

harco pronting
breakfast washed down with a "meal bowl" of milky coffee. Just the absolutely perfect way to start the morning. It took an hour to finish the thing. A cat could have had a fucking bath in it.

whenever i'm round a friend always serves me coffee in a noodle bowl. i always presumed he was being a freak. are you saying there's a tradition of this method based in paris?

Client Eastwood

I forgot about the meal bowls! Stuff like that makes me wish I lived in Paris a bit longer (then I remmeber the rudenesses...). Not to get starry-eyed, but I love the "continental" attention to the pleasures of daily life - Britain is like a self-hating ascetic in this regard.

Oh, and you can definitely add cardamom to coffee too, Mr Diddley! In fact, it's best that way.

Really ? Didnt know but might give it a try. Use lots of milk right ?

massrock

Terence McKenna was kindof talking out of his arse though. Every cell in the body of every single centenarian in the whole of Britain is utterly soaked in tea.
I don't think life expectancy figures for high coffee consuming countries bear this out either. If anything there's a negative correlation. Unless everyone who doesn't drink coffee in Finland lives to a ridiculous age, or only a few people in Finland drink coffee but in stupid quantities. Of course the are a million other factors, general affluence mainly.

It's still probably not all that good though. Just wish I could make my eyes focus properly in the morning without it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_coffee_consumption_per_capita
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Really ? Didnt know but might give it a try. Use lots of milk right ?

NEVER MILK IN COFFEE. Sorry.

You can buy it ready-made in most Arabic supermarkets - it comes in a green-and-silver foil pack with brand name Najar. Coffee's from brazil, but the method is from..lebanon, I think.

Immryr

Caffeine's not too good - can cause heart irregularities and mood swings, and instant coffee is obviously not a good choise, but coffee is said to do good things for reduced risk of stroke, diabetes and dementia in men so its swings and roundabouts like much else.

someone's been reading the observer food monthly!