Media stab frenzy

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
One of these used Broken Heart (Martyn's DCM Remix) as well apparently.

Out to Hessle Audio crew I guess.

straight

wings cru
yeah there were a few martyn bits and then the token burial over the credits at the end. was a really interesting doc, they had people i used to deal with when i worked for manchester council on it.

I couldnt make it though Kids, knives... though, absolute joke of a show. I could only imagine some ridiculous cossick brass eye 'wind of change' finish topping the heavy handedness of the first half

noel emits

Mark Easton - Skeptical of knife epidemic

I have done a bit more number-crunching for a piece on tonight's BBC News at Ten and I think it is quite informative. By my calculations, knife crime has risen three times faster in London over the past five years than the rest of England. This, I think, demonstrates how the situation in the capital has driven the claims of an epidemic.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2008/07/sceptical_of_knife_epidemic.html

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mark Easton - Skeptical of knife epidemic

I have done a bit more number-crunching for a piece on tonight's BBC News at Ten and I think it is quite informative. By my calculations, knife crime has risen three times faster in London over the past five years than the rest of England. This, I think, demonstrates how the situation in the capital has driven the claims of an epidemic.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/markeaston/2008/07/sceptical_of_knife_epidemic.html
yer man Easton said:
It wouldn't matter if exaggerating the scale of the problem didn't make it more likely youngsters will seek to protect themselves with knives...

This is quite telling - seems to fit into a category of 'Phenomena that get worse the more people know about them', perhaps along with the Bridgend suicides?

mos dan

fact music
This is quite telling - seems to fit into a category of 'Phenomena that get worse the more people know about them', perhaps along with the Bridgend suicides?

four stabbing deaths in london alone yesterday... this seems worryingly on-point. surely the only thing that could deflect tabloid attention now is a maddy/soham type story? it's the summer, so there's not going to be any politics to write about.

mos dan

fact music
I expect everyone will have seen today's crime figures story, but if not http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7511192.stm

"[The figures] also show that while the risk of being a victim is at its lowest ever level, people still think that the rate is going up."

Brilliant. Another victory for the Broken Britain brigade.

vimothy

yurp
Sells newspapers, innit.

On the other hand, crime is apparently above the national average where I live, which isn't great news.

Did anyone hear about the study that the Manchester Uni law school just published about gang membership? It was on the front of the Guardian the other day...

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's surprising (to me at least) that London isn't one of the worst places for "serious crimes against the person" - although it is for robbery and burglary.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's surprising (to me at least) that London isn't one of the worst places for "serious crimes against the person" - although it is for robbery and burglary.

Crime like that probably happens more often in London than any other town or city just because it's such a huge place. If you look at rates per 1,000 people per year or whatever, I'm sure there are much worse places (hello, Glasgow!).

On the point about the likelihood of being a victim of a stabbing or mugging, it's stupid that Mr. and Mrs. Dailymailreader are terrified to leave their house for fear of being set upon by feral hoodies, because as other people have mentioned here, most kinds of crime (and even most violent crime) are actually decreasing. But that's small comfort to a black teenager in Lewisham or Edmonton for whom the possibility of ending up on the business end of someone's flick-knife is very real. I think Polly Tonybee had it about right a few days ago when she called teen-on-teen knife crime "a form of collective self-harm", and I think it's pretty poor form to tell people they shouldn't worry about it just because they're not likely to be a victim themselves.

noel emits

"[The figures] also show that while the risk of being a victim is at its lowest ever level, people still think that the rate is going up."

Brilliant. Another victory for the Broken Britain brigade.
So the actual figures are more of a victory for the 'Britain's not as broken as the broken Britain brigade believe, brigade.'

mos dan

fact music
Also watch for attack dogs with bees up their noses and when they sneeze they shoot bees at you

ROFL!!

i was talking about that knife with some friends last night. we decided it might have some handy culinary uses. for one thing it's a great way to make ice cubes when you need some for your g'n't when you're camping by a stream...