Media stab frenzy

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
What's up with 'senior police officers' basically giving loads of publicity to this product? What exactly is the point?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
What's up with 'senior police officers' basically giving loads of publicity to this product? What exactly is the point?

Backhanders from the manufacturers, innit.

tinfoil.gif

Last edited:

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
Well it's the newspapers really isn't it. Fear-mongering. But where did the story come from? And it is kind of irresponsible I think.

zhao

there are no accidents
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Man stabbed, beheaded on bus to Winnipeg from Edmonton
globe and Mail Update
July 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM EDT

BRANDON, MAN. — A young man travelling on a Greyhound bus was stabbed to death and beheaded by a stranger in a horrifying act of apparently random violence.

The incident occurred on a bus travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg just before 10 p.m. Wednesday.

A man of about 18 who was sleeping with headphones on was suddenly attacked by his seat mate, according to the man who sat directly in front of them.

He was stabbed repeatedly with a large hunting knife, sending blood spraying across the interior of the bus. The driver quickly pulled over and passengers fled out the front door.

The man then sawed off the victim's head and carried it to the front of the bus.

The two did not apparently know one another. The victim boarded the bus in Edmonton, one witness said, and the attacker boarded in Manitoba.

A standoff with police ensued until about 1 a.m. local time.

One man was taken into custody.

Garnet Caton, 26, was sitting in the seat in front of the attacker.

"I was just reading a book and all of a sudden I heard a guy screaming. I turned around and the guy sitting right beside me was standing up and stabbing another guy with a big Rambo knife," he said.

"Right in the throat. Repeatedly."

The man wielding the knife had a shaved head and was wearing sunglasses, he said.

"He looked totally calm. He didn't say a word I don't think to anybody on the bus ... nothing. Just totally calm."

Mr. Caton said most passengers were sleeping at the time and didn't realize what was happening.

"I screamed 'stop the bus!' ... Everybody got the hell off, and people at the front of the bus didn't really understand what was going on. It almost turned into a trample scene there, everybody trying to get off the bus. But the guy didn't care at all. He wasn't concerned with anybody but the guy he was stabbing.

"The guy was totally calm. When he brought the head he looked at us and dropped it. It was like he was having a day at the beach. He couldn't be bothered by anything else."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080731.wmanbus0731/BNStory/National/home

mixed_biscuits

Not that I want to rain on your parade, but this seems like a somewhat minor quibble - the gang member makes it clear that acts of violence are needed to gain esteem from his peers; whether this esteem is shown explicitly or not (or is ticked off on a neatly-typed career progression form that new members are given on their induction course) is beside the point, however great the potential for comic incongruity may be (IMHO).

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Man stabbed, beheaded on bus to Winnipeg from Edmonton
globe and Mail Update
July 31, 2008 at 6:07 AM EDT

BRANDON, MAN. — A young man travelling on a Greyhound bus was stabbed to death and beheaded by a stranger in a horrifying act of apparently random violence.

The incident occurred on a bus travelling from Edmonton to Winnipeg just before 10 p.m. Wednesday.

A man of about 18 who was sleeping with headphones on was suddenly attacked by his seat mate, according to the man who sat directly in front of them.

He was stabbed repeatedly with a large hunting knife, sending blood spraying across the interior of the bus. The driver quickly pulled over and passengers fled out the front door.

The man then sawed off the victim's head and carried it to the front of the bus.

The two did not apparently know one another. The victim boarded the bus in Edmonton, one witness said, and the attacker boarded in Manitoba.

A standoff with police ensued until about 1 a.m. local time.

One man was taken into custody.

Garnet Caton, 26, was sitting in the seat in front of the attacker.

"I was just reading a book and all of a sudden I heard a guy screaming. I turned around and the guy sitting right beside me was standing up and stabbing another guy with a big Rambo knife," he said.

"Right in the throat. Repeatedly."

The man wielding the knife had a shaved head and was wearing sunglasses, he said.

"He looked totally calm. He didn't say a word I don't think to anybody on the bus ... nothing. Just totally calm."

Mr. Caton said most passengers were sleeping at the time and didn't realize what was happening.

"I screamed 'stop the bus!' ... Everybody got the hell off, and people at the front of the bus didn't really understand what was going on. It almost turned into a trample scene there, everybody trying to get off the bus. But the guy didn't care at all. He wasn't concerned with anybody but the guy he was stabbing.

"The guy was totally calm. When he brought the head he looked at us and dropped it. It was like he was having a day at the beach. He couldn't be bothered by anything else."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080731.wmanbus0731/BNStory/National/home

They didn't mention the part about the guy eating his victim's fingers.

nomadthethird

Hahaha...could be just what you need to defend yourself from hordes of crazed crack squirrels as you make your way home through Camberwell.

I'd be kind of surprised if crack worked exactly the same for squirrels as it does for us...they're so small, that much ammonia would be neurotoxic to them wouldn' t it?

Also, what kind of crackhead drops crack on the ground? Empty vials, yes. But most crackheads would be fighting the squirrel to get the crack back.

nomadthethird

It's surprising (to me at least) that London isn't one of the worst places for "serious crimes against the person" - although it is for robbery and burglary.

It's the same in NYC. The serial murder/murder in cold blood (this doesn't include gang/drug murder) rate is astoundingly low compared to most other mid-sized cities, while all the petty crimes (and rape) are pretty high.

There are close to 100 reported rapes (so you can estimate that there something like 220-250 occur) a year in my neighborhood alone, which is like a 20x20 block area with 100,000 people living in it. It has the most sex offenders per capita of any neighborhood in New York, too, according to New York Magazine this year.

nomadthethird

I'm not trying to be a total dick in saying this, but I can't help but think it's weird that a couple of stabbings made the news anyway. Unless you stab someone in a vital organ or hit the right artery or whatever, or have a really long knife, or stab them dozens of times, you're probably not going to kill them.

Whenever I've been to Woodhull's ER (more times than you'd probably imagine) there are always like dozens of stab victims and gunshot victims (like little 9mm round wounds). And they're all on the phone recruiting people to go kill the guy who did it. I heard one guy saying "I'll get you new tickets for Miami next week" to someone on the phone, so they would stick around to get revenge.

This "teenage bloodlust knifings run rampant" thing reminds me of those movies from the 1950s about greasers fighting preps in suburbia. Or The Outsiders.

Last edited:

mos dan

fact music
Not that I want to rain on your parade, but this seems like a somewhat minor quibble - the gang member makes it clear that acts of violence are needed to gain esteem from his peers; whether this esteem is shown explicitly or not (or is ticked off on a neatly-typed career progression form that new members are given on their induction course) is beside the point, however great the potential for comic incongruity may be (IMHO).

it's minor compared to the horror of the violence itself, and minor in the sense that, as you say, hierarchies and degrees of esteem are obviously important to street gangs, irrespective of whether they're codified into levels.

BUT i think a bbc news journalist might have - through ignorance - given a misleading impression of how organised london's gangs are. that's an issue worth raising imo.

(also it's funny)

mos dan

fact music
can i just point out, lest it confuse anyone else, that there are at least two places called edmonton being discussed in this thread :p

hucks

Your Message Here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/7849658.stm

First violent teenage death in London this year. I'm fairly certain there were three or four by this time last year. And the story says that there were 28 violent teenage deaths in London last year, which is pretty much identical to the year before.

I may be making this up, misremembering, but last summer I think there had been more teenage murders than at the same time in 2007. So at some stage this "frenzy" has possibly begun to slow down.

Can anyone shed any light/ confirm or deny this?

mos dan

fact music
Can anyone shed any light/ confirm or deny this?

gah i tried to reply to this once and my pc bluescreened. i blame the media-industrial conspiracy.

all i was saying is 'this is interesting, do we have more statistics/perspective on last year's 'frenzy' now?'

hucks

Your Message Here
gah i tried to reply to this once and my pc bluescreened. i blame the media-industrial conspiracy.

all i was saying is 'this is interesting, do we have more statistics/perspective on last year's 'frenzy' now?'

Likewise just lost a post of my own. Oh yeah, there's something going on here.

Here is a rundown of all the teenagers murdered in London last year and the year before, from Capital Radio.

In 2007 there were 27 teenagers murdered, in 2008 there were 28, but 27 of those were murdered by the end of September. So, in the last 4 months, there have been 2 teenagers murdered, one last year and one this.

A quarter by quarter summary is below

Q1 2007 8 murders
Q2 2007 8
Q3 2007 4
Q4 2007 7
Q1 2008 11
Q2 2008 6
Q3 2008 10
Q4 2008 1

Obviously, we shouldn't read too much into what happens in one quarter, but the signs might be positive.

And if so, anyone know why? Has Mayor Boris changed anything, or have the Met? Or so these things inevitably burn out?

mos dan

fact music
anyone know why? Has Mayor Boris changed anything, or have the Met? Or so these things inevitably burn out?

it seems pretty astonishing that no politician or met spokesman has tried to claim credit... maybe one quarter 'isn't enough', like you say.

thanks for the stats, fascinating stuff.