Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
nice panda Mr T

Thanks. The full image is even better:

nagelfar.jpg

http://www.somethingawful.com/d/comedy-goldmine/awful-amusement-park.php

Last edited:

Pulchritude

I think it's also to do with fierce tribalism - wrongheaded ideas about somebody else invading "your" turf. Different "values", all that shit. People in a student union bar slagging each other off for the band t-shirts they are wearing cos they form such a crucial part of their identities...

I agree with this. Although I think it's only natural for some people to get heated over bands they don't like, if they perceive music to be such an integral part of who they are. I think that rap music tends to inspire a more pronounced dissent than any other type of music. The people who dislike it always seem to do so vehemently.

mms

sometimes
I agree with this. Although I think it's only natural for some people to get heated over bands they don't like, if they perceive music to be such an integral part of who they are. I think that rap music tends to inspire a more pronounced dissent than any other type of music. The people who dislike it always seem to do so vehemently.

That will be because it hasn't got instruments in the foreground.

Gabba Flamenco Crossover

High Sierra Skullfuck
As for racism- I don't think that's necessarily a huge motivating factor behind this... The person who threw that banana was probably a teenager with a pea for a brain.

No, I don't buy that. The guy responding in the Guardian comments thread is trying to make that argument: 'he was probably just stupid and blackness was the easiest stick he had to beat bizzle with'.

I don't think motivation comes into it at all - what counts is the way the action is interpreted, and that the perpetuator knew that it would be interpreted in that way. If they had shouted 'you black cunt' you could maybe make the argument that it was just stupidity, but they threw a banana at him - an action with specific historical resonances of abusing people of african or afro-carribean descent. The possibilities that the perpetrator was:

a/ unaware of the historical origins of the act

b/ ignorant of the depth of offence it would cause

c/ conflating blackness and hip-hop to the extent that co-opting a racist insult made sense as a form of musical criticism

are totally irrelevent here. The action itself has a single, unambiguous meaning, the perpetrator knew what it was, and they knew that the target knew it. It was premeditated (unless they happened to have a banana and a magic marker on them by chance watching a rap act at a metal festival - unlikely), and it's imported from a wholly different subculture (football).

Stupidity is obviously no excuse for racism. Infantilising people by assuming they can't take responsibility for thier actions is in itself a form of bigotry. Racism overwhelmingly works below the level of the rational mind, among an individuals fears and superstitions, and the 'not racist, just stupid' argument risks excusing everyone apart from the tiny minority of racists who attempt to develop some logical and evidential support for thier beliefs.

There's bound to be a minority of idiots in a festival crowd that big and that volatile, especially at a festival dedicated to music that is, at times, massively aggressive and committed causing offence.

I think the message here is that big festivals are wank.

noel emits

a wonderful wooden reason
It's still just one major twat though, and that's not hard to find in any crowd. Unless a cabal of organised 'racists' got together to write one letter each on this banana.

Buick6

too punk to drunk
I'd bash them for the annoying, derivative, recycled and impotent sounds/stance they make/have.

I mean AR Kane never got the adulation (nor bucks) those fucken privileged pansies have been getting and making millions out of.

Maybe their 'genius' is the ability to convince millions of twats to throw money at them and make them 'important' and sympathise or 'believe' their 'stance'?

Shmuckos like some of you lot!

PS : And I won't stop here, fucking OASIS shouldn't just be bashed, they should be fucking KILLED!!! I wish someone would fucking do that than this limp bollocks!

Last edited: