bankruptcy of 'nuum as concept

mos dan

fact music
donk aka wigan pier aka the pleasurerooms end of scouse house aka bounce house is new and the blackout crew started it?

lol made my day that

just wait mate, they're planning to have an article explaining what donk is in the near future.. i for one cannot wait to read it lol

Benny Bunter

There's a new donk-related Reynolds post up.

I have unfortunately came across Scouse House before because all the kids at the secondary school where I work in Gateshead listen to it alongside New Monkey/Makina. Never heard any of em call it Donk as yet mind. :eek:

straight

wings cru
the arts editor of a well-known broadsheet informed me a few weeks ago that donk is an actual genre, all springing off from 'put a donk on it'.

which makes her way ahead of reynolds - and in identifying 'donk' as a genre, way ahead of me too... and dissensus, and everyone, as far as i know.

when broadsheet arts editors are the ones telling you what the new thing is, there's something wrong. or maybe she's just wrong - that's my preferred explanation.

haha mate i brought up donk on here last year when the bassline debate took off. gets called donk round bolton/blackpool/wigan. every tune has exactly the same sound on it. most of it originates in spain i think but its big on the estates in the far north and glasgow.

What a completely horrible thing to have to admit to

Guarantee ghislain poirier will have a podcast by the end of the week

Last edited:
It's endlessly surprising to me that this is only just being noticed by people now. When I was in school in the late 90s (well, before I ended up in London late '02, effectively), this shit was everywhere- it has been for fucking years. It's never changed, always been shite, and these MCs have always had the same weird half-american voices and awful lyrics.

That prancehall column (and the new Reynolds blog) are just scanning the surface. This stuff really has been around forever.

Look, these songs are from what, 97-98;
quality's shit but whatever.

etc;

I only wish there was a scousehousetapes.com now. There's also an MC culture of loads of young MCs in school etc.

mos dan

fact music
most of it originates in spain i think but its big on the estates in the far north and glasgow.

spain to wigan and glasgow? really? wow.

fwiw, it doesn't surprise me in the least that me/prancehall/most dissensians/the observer arts editor/simon reynolds are just finding out about this this year (even if you already posted about it last year, sorry straight!) - it's the bassline problem again: except for occasional bursts of interest like this, no-one in london gives a shit about anything that happens outside london. that sounds horrible but i'm pretty sure it's true.

scousehousetapes.com? i smell a side-project slackk.. ;)

elgato

I just dont know
no-one in london gives a shit about anything that happens outside london. that sounds horrible but i'm pretty sure it's true.

i am tempted to voice some slightly more inflammatory class-based views on this point. that Prancehall column (in the fucking Guardian!) has gotten my blood boiling

scousehousetapes.com? i smell a side-project slackk.. ;)

Words can't describe how bad an idea that actually is. I always remember going back to Liverpool early '03 to go to this lad's 18th birthday party- he was a bedroom DJ and they'd hired this hall where 6 of his mates (bedroom MCs) spat for literally 5 hours on this bullshit.

I vowed I'd never listen to it again. Sunrise was always passable after a couple of tablets but I guess that was more hard house than "donk".

i am tempted to voice some slightly more inflammatory class-based views on this point. that Prancehall column (in the fucking Guardian!) has gotten my blood boiling

He writes for the Sun now though, got to be against the North! We robbed and pissed on our own when they were dead after all.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
it's the bassline problem again: except for occasional bursts of interest like this, no-one in london gives a shit about anything that happens outside london. that sounds horrible but i'm pretty sure it's true.

definitely. and if it all sounds like donk, can you blame us? ;)

mos dan

fact music

eh? i haven't actually read it, i guess i should do. in the meantime feel free to voice away!

elgato

I just dont know
eh? i haven't actually read it, i guess i should do. in the meantime feel free to voice away!

im wary of voicing opinions when i feel jitteringly angered so will hold onto them for the moment i think. perhaps his prejudice was slightly less naked than i originally read

mms

sometimes
It's endlessly surprising to me that this is only just being noticed by people now. When I was in school in the late 90s (well, before I ended up in London late '02, effectively), this shit was everywhere- it has been for fucking years. It's never changed, always been shite, and these MCs have always had the same weird half-american voices and awful lyrics.

That prancehall column (and the new Reynolds blog) are just scanning the surface. This stuff really has been around forever.

Look, these songs are from what, 97-98;
quality's shit but whatever.

etc;

I only wish there was a scousehousetapes.com now. There's also an MC culture of loads of young MCs in school etc.

this is the sort of music they play in my local club at home on a saturday but with terrible mcing over.

Sinko

It's endlessly surprising to me that this is only just being noticed by people now.

yeah, this type of stuff has had a massive following in the NE and NW for well over a decade. makina (bouncy spanish techno) with crap MCing over the top is all you're likely to hear in schools in newcastle/sunderland/middlesborough. and there's not a great deal of difference between that and scouse house. funny to see it getting coverage in mainstream media.

examples (listener discretion is advised):

(mc stompin - the wiley of new monkey!)

i do confess to having a soft (ish) spot for some of the ultra-cheesey female vocalled tunes though.

Benny Bunter

yeah, this type of stuff has had a massive following in the NE and NW for well over a decade. makina (bouncy spanish techno) with crap MCing over the top is all you're likely to hear in schools in newcastle/sunderland/middlesborough. and there's not a great deal of difference between that and scouse house. funny to see it getting coverage in mainstream media.

examples (listener discretion is advised):

(mc stompin - the wiley of new monkey!)

Ha ha! MC Stompin is a total local hero at the school where I work.

Its appeal definitely has a lot to do with the speed of this stuff. I had one kid telling me he thought Scouse house was shit because it was too slow compared to New Monkey!

But we've already had a thread to do with this before haven't we? (about how dance music's bpm rate increases the further you move north).

DRMHCP

yeah, this type of stuff has had a massive following in the NE and NW for well over a decade

I remember some columnist in Blues and Soul I used to read in the mid-80s used to say that Liverpool and the North East were the only regions where there was no real black music scene. ie you had the northern soul scene in Lancs/Yorkshire/Midlands/even West Country (at Yate etc) , funk/jazz-funk/80s soul in London and South east but a total void as far as a black music scene went in Merseyside and Newcastle. this despite Wigan being as near to Liverpool as Manchester (but then again I suppose its also definitely Lancashire as opposed to the almost non-English culture (ie Irish/Welsh ethnicity) of Liverpool.

And now Liverpool/Newcastle are the places where donk/scouse house originated...

...it must mean something!