How does PITCHFORK work?

BareBones

wheezy
yeah, sadly i've done that too, i've just lost all my underground cred in two posts.

but while i'm at it, i admit what i'm much more guilty of is reading reviews that slate music that i know i hate already. Not to reinforce my own opinions though, just because i think it's funny to read reviews slagging off music i don't like.

STN

sou'wester
I really don't mind Pavement, though Stephen Malkmus is a bit like a supply teacher. All my plaidshirt-n-beard ire is reserved for the likes of Bonnie Prince Billy.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
It's a crying shame SomethingAwful doesn't host its 'fake' frontpages any more, one of them was a PFM pisstake called 'Richdork Media' and was absolutely superb.

mms

sometimes
I really don't mind Pavement, though Stephen Malkmus is a bit like a supply teacher. All my plaidshirt-n-beard ire is reserved for the likes of Bonnie Prince Billy.

well bonnie prince billy really is a guy with a career on borrowed time but at least he always has a really unneccessary and explicit reference to some kind of sexual act on each of his albums. But pavement, with their plaid shirts and general can't be bothered to not let the dribble run down my cardigan from my useless mouth and lyrics like ' oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god' make me seeth with anger.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
It's a crying shame SomethingAwful doesn't host its 'fake' frontpages any more, one of them was a PFM pisstake called 'Richdork Media' and was absolutely superb.

Hahaha, this thread prompted me to try unsuccessfully to look for that again as well. All about the sidebar with links to reviews that for the most part are all by Radiohead.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"But pavement, with their plaid shirts and general can't be bothered to not let the dribble run down my cardigan from my useless mouth and lyrics like ' oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god' make me seeth with anger."
I remember listening to the radio once and they said that they were going to play a record by an unsigned band every day and at the end of the week you voted for your favourite or something. They then played the track and I idly thought to myself "what a turgid and uninspired load of mediocre nonsense, if that's all they can be arsed to come up with then they haven't got a chance in hell of winning this competition". Then the song finished and the dj said "that was the new one from Pavement, coming up we've still got the unsigned band competition.."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Hahaha, this thread prompted me to try unsuccessfully to look for that again as well. All about the sidebar with links to reviews that for the most part are all by Radiohead.

Yeah, like the ratings guide that went from "10.0 - Must be Radiohead" to "Less than 1.0 - Hey, that ain't no Radiohead!". And the links to "Radiohead - the Tool remixes" and "Tool - the Radiohead remixes". :D

STN

sou'wester
well bonnie prince billy really is a guy with a career on borrowed time but at least he always has a really unneccessary and explicit reference to some kind of sexual act on each of his albums. But pavement, with their plaid shirts and general can't be bothered to not let the dribble run down my cardigan from my useless mouth and lyrics like ' oh my god oh my god oh my god oh my god' make me seeth with anger.

that's actually part of what annoys me for some reason. isn't harmone Korine involed somehow? That's not really on.

swears

preppy-kei
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

swears

preppy-kei
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

I hadn't really heard much Pavement, so I youtube searched them, and at first I was all like "WTF is this crap, it sounds like They Might Be Giants on valium." But now I'm sort of getting into them!

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I don't know if that's why they exist, but I think they do end up doing it. Same as critical theory, and the marketing thereof. I wonder what the alternative model would be. Fine-writing critics to be read for their own sake?

But that's the thing, I can't help but feel that Pitchfork is staffed mostly with the kind of kids who went to colleges where you didn't get grades or any sort of constructive criticism from professors, just narrative "progress reports" and such. Had you turned in writing like that at my school, even in a creative writing course, there would have been red all over it, and lots of words like "clarify" and "word choice" in the margins.

PF's attempts at gonzo journalism entirely miss the point of gonzo journalism, which is that pretentious overwriting, purple prose, whatever, is lame. The more creative most PF writers try to get the worse their work reads...

I think there are a lot of bloggers whose writing on music interests me, and some of them contribute to mags and newspapers, but I just can't even wade through the bad stuff on PF to get to the good.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
I hadn't really heard much Pavement, so I youtube searched them, and at first I was all like "WTF is this crap, it sounds like They Might Be Giants on valium." But now I'm sort of getting into them!

This is one sentence I never thought I'd read on a Swears post! Next thing you know Swears will be in the tank for the Pixies! hehe

I'll admit it, I owned Crooked Rain, and Wowee Zowee and even Terror Twilight when I was a teen, back when Pavement was relevant and whatever. What bothers me more than their sound is their fucking hardcore fans, though, who act like nothing but indie rock has any credibility.

Last edited:

STN

sou'wester
When I was at university, gonzo journalism was always touted as the interest of various boys who wanted to appear desperately intense and at odds with the world. I think most of us were already a bit bored with Hunter S Thompson and his lame middle initial by then.

Yes, girls did always fancy these boys when they could have fancied me...

STN

sou'wester
I love her, it's always about sitting on some wretched porch listening to some stupid rock music and maybe going for a bloody drive.

STN

sou'wester
should add here that i do like her other writing, it's the wistful open-road rock column i can't stand.

mms

sometimes
Yeah, like the ratings guide that went from "10.0 - Must be Radiohead" to "Less than 1.0 - Hey, that ain't no Radiohead!". And the links to "Radiohead - the Tool remixes" and "Tool - the Radiohead remixes". :D

yes but they're spot on as people genuinely think like this and alot of people hold radiohead up as a beacon of shining light and faultless brilliance, rather than a modern pink floyd.
like the only intellgent rock music choice is something rather prizzy, existentialist, musical and overblown. If you hate pop and rock that much go listen to something else.
gah.

Last edited: