wonky

mms

sometimes
Nice to see Low End Theory get some attention there... they do have an exciting thing going. There's been something happening out here, first with the Jungle and Dubstep undergrounds merging (although L.A. Dubstep and L.A. DnB are basically the same people anyway), and then their collective scene cross-pollinating with the Glitchop/Left Field Hip Hop/Dublab crowds, and then in the last 4 or so years, with the whole open-ended, weird West Coast Psych thing. It's been really nice to see this positive fusion between so many cool styles again, as opposed to the usual splintering and isolation. That's not to say that everyone in these respective scenes are all branching out, but there has been this growing creative nexus. Which is an encouraging sign.

yep you could probably say thts happening everywhere at a local to global level.

moolac

can someone change the name of this thread to something which aint wonky? id feel better about posting in it if it were different, hah.

cool to see some goodness on the LA video thing. that Ghosts On Tape track is forthcoming on a Wireblock 12.. i need to complete artwork for it tonight.

Just confirmed Hudson Mohawke live for Numbers @ Plastic People on March 5th - info here http://nmbrs.net or see the events bit of this forum..

gumdrops

not wonky per se but i didnt wanna make a new thread for it. thoughts on the harmonic 313 album? i think its okay. a lot of it seems quite stiff (even more pronounced with the ultra martial detroit rap tracks) and almost dated? in places. but i like a few tracks, mainly the less dubsteppy/IM SCARY, ME tracks.

Jamie Vex'd mix from Lucky Me! is stunning, every tune's a beaut. I'm loving that Erykah Badu spoken word thing, Psychedelic Runway !! and that Grevious Angel remix, all of them..

http://s3.amazonaws.com/luckymedia/25sundaywalkmanmix.mp3

jamie vexd - saturn's reply
rich reason & fantastic mr fox - bleep show
scuba - twitch - jamie vexd remix
starkey - creature
jamie vexd - in system travel
erykah badu - twinkle
darkstar - aidy's girl's a computer
cannibal ox - f word (instrumental)
zomby - fantastique remix
falty dl - to london
shawty lo ft dg yola vs timeblind - lets decay it (dev 79's blend)
stagga - lopside - doshy remix
modeselektor - black box - rustie remix
joker - psychedlic runway
starkey - mutter music vip
naptha - soundclash - grevious angel vip
tim hecker - sundown6093
falty dl - paradise Lost

vimothy

yurp
I'm not sure if any of these guys are wonky per se, but wtf --

Has anyone got any Zomby, Ikonika or Blackstar mixes/sets/etc?

optimum

Poochie
From the dubstep thread:

New mini mix by Ikonika taken from Ballers/Lucky Me website

http://www.sendspace.com/file/80990i

Ikonika (Hyperdub, London, UK)

Mini Mix Feb

Ballers Social Club

Tracklist:

Kode9-2 Far Gone (Hyperdub)

Ghostleigh-Places (Ghostleigh)

Darkstar-Aidy’s Girl is a Computer (Hyperdub Dubplate)

Ikonika-Millie (Hyperdub)

Mujava-Township Funk (Ikonika’s Nexus-6 Remix) (Warp)

Madd-Starless Night (Dubplate)

Joker-Digidesign (Hyperdub)

Zomby-1 Up (Hyperdub)

Ikonika-Phonelines V.I.P (Dubplate)

Kode9 VS LD-Bad (Hyperdub)

Ikonika-Loser (Hyperdub Dubplate)

vimothy

yurp
Wicked.

Found a couple of Zomby ones (short bassline -- or is it niche?;) -- mix, and Hey MF mix, but I'm guessing everyone already has this shit).

tom lea

google 'hyperdub showcase' - you can download a big show that has zomby, darkstar and ikonika ten min mixes, all amazing

vimothy

yurp
Got that actually, cheers Tom! Got Zomby's where were u in 92 mix too, but I prefer the way-out weird stuff -- like Hyperdub.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Strange that Where Were U in 92 is the release with its own thread. The other stuff is so much more alien. Strange Fruit sounds like Hellhound on My Trail covered by Pacman.

tom lea

that zomby double 12" has become like bread and butter to me. i probably listen to it four times a week minimum from start to finish. i don't even like mixing it - it works as a mini-album for me.

in retrospect this placement really shouldve been a double entry for both.

re: strange fruit...the most brilliant bit, i find (and it wasn't me who first pointed it out, but i can't get it out my head whenveer i listen to it now) is that indistinguishable vocal sample. what's it saying?? it's so well done.

Alfons

Way of the future
dorian concept - what do you ye reckon?

i'm a bit 'meh'

Ive never been quite sold, but checking the soundclips for his new album some of it is quite nice
http://www.kindred-spirits.nl/dorianconcept/

not wonky per se but i didnt wanna make a new thread for it. thoughts on the harmonic 313 album? i think its okay. a lot of it seems quite stiff (even more pronounced with the ultra martial detroit rap tracks) and almost dated? in places. but i like a few tracks, mainly the less dubsteppy/IM SCARY, ME tracks.

I was quite disappointed by his last ep, and don't quite know what to make of the album (arc light on the ep is gorgeous tho!) Really love a lot of Mark Pritchards stuff throughout the years and the Harmonic 33 stuff is ace, but somehow with his stuff as harmonic 313 lately, I kind of get the feeling of a really accomplished producer tapping into the same ideas as some of the younger wonky guys mentioned above but the result feels more tame and polished in a way.

That Jamie Vex'd lucky me mix is huuuuge! Listened 4 times in one day.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
The Jamie Vex'd mix is vurrynice.

Is there any sort of culture attached to 'wonky' music? You know - a style of dress, drug of choice etc.? Or is it such a vague and disparate concept that that sort of thing is out of the question? I suppose a lot of it just falls under hip-hop culture, doesn't it, and that stuff which doesn't falls at the margins of other subcultures.

To me this lack of clear cultural attachment/shape makes wonky seem less 'important' than funky, but perhaps thats missing the point? Anyway, a lot of the beats are wicked.

mms

sometimes
The Jamie Vex'd mix is vurrynice.

Is there any sort of culture attached to 'wonky' music? You know - a style of dress, drug of choice etc.? Or is it such a vague and disparate concept that that sort of thing is out of the question? I suppose a lot of it just falls under hip-hop culture, doesn't it, and that stuff which doesn't falls at the margins of other subcultures.

To me this lack of clear cultural attachment/shape makes wonky seem less 'important' than funky, but perhaps thats missing the point? Anyway, a lot of the beats are wicked.

thats what makes it more attractive - interesting for me, its an adjective, nonone in the scene uses it or likes it, they use their own descriptions for the music they make, it's not one musical style but a kind of mongrel, it's got no geographic centre, but it's imaginary centre is the neutral space of the internet, with lots of strange hubs, across europe/us/london/glasgow.

Pestario

tell your friends
re: strange fruit...the most brilliant bit, i find (and it wasn't me who first pointed it out, but i can't get it out my head whenveer i listen to it now) is that indistinguishable vocal sample. what's it saying?? it's so well done.

speaking of indistinguishable vocals, anyone know much about the first track by Darkstar in the hypderdub showcase? according to the tracklist it's called Annexe but I can't seem to find any info about it. Is there anywhere where you can hear the whole track? That vocal is haunting me.

Edit: it sounds like 'you always...' or something

Last edited:

psherburne

jamie vex'd mix is incredible. i listened to it three times through and was sad when i had to take it off to put on "work" music.

thats what makes it more attractive - interesting for me, its an adjective, nonone in the scene uses it or likes it, they use their own descriptions for the music they make, it's not one musical style but a kind of mongrel, it's got no geographic centre, but it's imaginary centre is the neutral space of the internet, with lots of strange hubs, across europe/us/london/glasgow.

It's proper internet music isn't it, really ADD, spacey, fragmented and disorientating. I've listened to Psychedelic Runway about 20 times in the last 2 days, what a tune, really emotive but heavy and danceable.