wonky

mixed_biscuits

He contradicts himself. He says that 'wonky' is hard to define (which idea is where the article gets its mileage from) - surreal, psychedelic - and yet admits that the genre isn't a postmodern grab-bag ie. it isn't completely ineffable or intrinsically ruleless.

If a concept fails to order reality satisfactorily, don't give up - get better concepts (ie. create more wonky sub-genres forthwith).

Martin Dust

Techno Zen Master
Jerome Hill was the individual that came up with the term Wonky (Techno) many moons ago when he worked in a record shop, he use't to file Landstrumm, Begg, Vogel, Hawkins etc under it...

Jerome Hill was the individual that came up with the term Wonky (Techno) many moons ago when he worked in a record shop, he use't to file Landstrumm, Begg, Vogel, Hawkins etc under it...

I'd stick Tim Wright in there too, i've a mate who loves all this stuff.

Pretty interesting articles, i said a similar but way more waffly thing on another forum about wonky being an ambiguous but definitely noticeable theme across genres and varying tempos, like a theme or rather anti-theme attempting to subvert the idea of genre itself, stinkingly contradictory but you know something good is happening if you've got people tying themselves in knots to try and categorize it. I spewed a bit of stuff about it having to do with over-stimulation, free downloads, blah blah who the fuck knows..

has the humour in this stuff been mentioned yet? funny as fuck.

Alfons

Way of the future
jamie vex'd mix is incredible. i listened to it three times through and was sad when i had to take it off to put on "work" music.

work music as in music you can write about or as in music you can get some work done while listening :D

vimothy

yurp
2000F & JKamata are on Hyperdub now? Cool. The 2000F remix of Ildebrand I Byen slays. Not feeling You Don’t Know What Love Is at all, though.

Chris

fractured oscillations
i can up it if needs be?

If you could up that first Hyperdub Showcase (if you're talking about the Mary Ann Hobbes one), that'd be very much appreciated.

I did catch the other one on Benji B's show. How about that last unnamed Burial tune with the fucked up vocals that kept going out of key (in a good way)? He said that track wasn't finished, but I hope Burial keeps that in there for the final cut.

psherburne

work music as in music you can write about or as in music you can get some work done while listening :D

Ha, good question! Just "work music" as in "shit I need to write about to get paid." The Vex'd mix is actually great for working to -- except for all those "holy shit!" jump-out-of-your-chair moments that kinda break your concentration... :)