wonky

Algierstwin

the flylo tune 'disco balls' on the hyperdub comp is amazing. definitely want to hear him being this dynami c in the future. . . on a system it would wreck.

didnt he do some tunes with kode too ?

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
sooooo disappointing
i LOVE "polkadot blues" but this is generally just...it sounds rushed and jokey and throwaway, to say the least

I've not liked it as much as I thought I would, but it's still a decent album. It gets off to a good start with the first track, but the flow is ruined by the ridiculously crappy skit at the start of the second. It's sad, but nearly all of the better tracks on the album I've got from previous releases, Hudson's Heeters/Polyfolk Dance/ZoOoOOOOOOOOOOOOoOooOoM... Always a disappointment when an album is half full of old material.

I also think a lot of the comparisons it's drawing with Outkast are mostly a result of the collabs with Olivier DaySoul, who is basically André 3000-lite. Would rather hear original productions without his wailing over the top 99% of the time.

gumdrops

the wire said the hud mo album "superimposes the most vainglorious bombast of 21st century rap/crunk/R&B with the excruciatingly precise production, jazz funk chords and cocaine treble of 1980's soul and 'yacht rock', while deconstructing the clatter and stabs of rave and turning the synaesthetic cartoon sound of P-funk into a high-definition 3D CGI IMAX nightmare."

massrock

I read that.

The writer's name has been noted and large pinches of salt are standing by.

I mean for fuck's sake, it's some kid with a few plugins.

massrock

I hate it when you read stuff like that and you think cor that sounds good and then of course you listen to it and it's massively underwhelming. Actually it's kind of reassuring as well. Some of these journalists though, really. That guy does that a lot. I'm not impressed.

massrock

And the Hudson Mohawk album being disappointing, well that's what happens when these guys get prematurely hyped. No depth or staying power.

gumdrops

it is a great bit of blurb though. perfect for a pull out quote in an ad or whatever. but yeah, the actual record just doesnt sound anywhere as great as youd think it would after reading that. though ive not read the rest of the review so who knows what else was said, i just read that bit. ive never thought hud mo was quite as amazing as has been made out, though i did like that ep, but all that hype about him being the future of hip hop is just ridiculous really.

stephenk

the disappointment comes more from liking some of his earlier material and figuring he would pull out the stops for a full length on warp, a la flying lotus...the hype around him and rustie has never lived up to the actual production, i think, and the record does seem like the product of pressure to be prolific/get an album out asap
i can kinda see why the wire likes it, i mean they're all about "haunted" nonsense like the skaters these days, this is kind of in a similar genre, i.e. a vaguely-80s-funk huge mess

hopper

isn't the journalist actually criticising it? vainglorious and nightmare don't sound too positive to me. not properly heard the album yet but I've really disliked everything I've heard from it bar zooOooOoom

Leo

isn't the journalist actually criticising it? vainglorious and nightmare don't sound too positive to me. not properly heard the album yet but I've really disliked everything I've heard from it bar zooOooOoom

yeah, i took that review as negative as well.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
the hype around him and rustie has never lived up to the actual production

Fair enough, but even though I'm a bit disappointed by Butter, I think it's more down to HudMo being more of a singles/EP producer rather than someone with the scope to do a full album (although this isn't likely to stay the case for long, he's only 23 or something). Same goes for Rustie, he's more of a remix machine and probably more suited to releasing great singles like Jagz The Smack/Zig Zag/Bad Science every 6 months.

Definitely seems like Warp were too anxious to get an album out of Hudson, but it's not a bad album by any means. Will be interesting to see if Warp take the same approach with Rustie's album, or let him take his time on it and release a better piece of work. Definitely keen to see his new live show though, his original set was absolutely banging, but he lost the parts in a hard drive crash and there's not a single recording in existence. Will report back after the world premiere on November 6th :D

Is anyone here still to hear Hudson's Heeters btw? Shame most of the tracks are under two minutes, it's an astonishing promo for someone to make in their teens/early 20s. And give away for free.