wonky

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I'm really feeling Rustie's shimmery celestial thing he's got going on, not only on his own beats, but also for the gems he draws for in mixes by non-"wonky" artists.

Big up to shields for pointing me in the direction of the LuckyMe mix. The Brandy remix is sick but the one that kills it for me is Usher Feat. Ludacris - Dat Girl Right There. I can't believe that isn't a remix.

continuum

smugpolice
Might be, hadn't thought of them as wonky, more glitchy post ardkore. REALLY good live, banging and interesting at the same time.

And lovely people. Plus they're quite into some of my stuff.

octa push - kolokani
jahcoozi - get yo shit out (octa push remix)

Who is Octa Push?
We’re two brothers, Dizzycutter and Mushug and we both have been making beats for a while but only started making them together in the beginning of 2008. Started a bit like a joke when our friends at Conspira (one of the first crews pushing bass music in Portugal) booked us for a show. We had to find a name and make loads of beats, it went well and then we decided to take it a bit more seriously. Since then things been moving really fast and we’ve been lucky to play in wicked places!
We did official remixes for people like Buraka Som Sistema, Débruit, Mochipet, Monkey Steak and more..
Our sound has it’s main influences UK garage, bashment, techno, afrobeat and loads of diferent things..

What sort of gear are you working on?
We produce with Cubase SX, lots of VST’s and Midi Controllers.
Thinking on getting some Hardware.
For Live Act we use Ableton Live + 2 Mac’s and 2 MPD24

What are your plans for this upcoming year?
We’re going to release an original 12′ with 3 tracks. 1 with MC Zulu (ninja tune) + 1 with Portuguese/Cape Verde MC Toni Clean.
It will come out on Iberian Records.
Other releases for Steakhouse and a couple of remixes for Civil Music and Enchufada..
We’re thinking of making an album aswell.

Whose pushing the Iberian Sound ?
Iberian sound is blowing up with people like Mr Gasparov, Relocate, Cardopusher, Das Nevez, Buraka Som Sistema, A.m.o.r., DJ Manaia, Batida and more…

Who else are you feeling?
In a bass heavy music tip Bristol is always on the map, producers like Joker, Monkey Steak, Gemmy, Guido, Slugabed are great!
Also guys like Starkey, Dorian Concept, Bullion, L-Vis1990, Debruit, Brackles, Untold are making amazing music at the moment..
Bands like Puscifer, Animal Collective.. blabla we hate listing!

interview via duttyartz

zhao

there are no accidents
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Alfons

Way of the future
So Ive booked Hud Mo for our night here in Reykjavik, but Ive never actually heard a live set, just radio and his releases. Anyone care to share what he's like live?

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
So Ive booked Hud Mo for our night here in Reykjavik, but Ive never actually heard a live set, just radio and his releases. Anyone care to share what he's like live?

He's good. If the time I saw him is anything to go by, he starts off with 100-110 bpm ish boom-bap stuff and then moves up to 140 bpm snare on the 3 stuff. Good mix of wonky and not-so-wonky things throughout. He also took a few detours into things like old Chicago house, again not sure if that's a regular thing. A few crunches and clatters in his mixing, but nothing too serious.

lazybrowndog

New Landstrumm is sounding great...

first track ... "the flying kestrel" is absolutely huge sounding ... i'm also liking the "schlump funk" ... which is incidentally a better name than "wonky" ...

on a side note it's great to see some older heads (landstrumm/pritchard etc) seemingly revitalised by the 21stC Bass Resurgence ... begs the question wither the fuck Mark Bell ?

dave

the day today tonight
He's good. If the time I saw him is anything to go by, he starts off with 100-110 bpm ish boom-bap stuff and then moves up to 140 bpm snare on the 3 stuff. Good mix of wonky and not-so-wonky things throughout. He also took a few detours into things like old Chicago house, again not sure if that's a regular thing. A few crunches and clatters in his mixing, but nothing too serious.
Definitely great. He played at our Christmas party last year and went all over the show there too... house, soul, hip-hop, whatever. A few sections were his own sound, and I guess the rest were his influences. I didn't notice any shonky mixes though, I thought he was rad.. he had some amazing tempo transitions sorted. Good fun all up. Nice guy too :)

Alfons

Way of the future
Definitely great. He played at our Christmas party last year and went all over the show there too... house, soul, hip-hop, whatever. A few sections were his own sound, and I guess the rest were his influences. I didn't notice any shonky mixes though, I thought he was rad.. he had some amazing tempo transitions sorted. Good fun all up. Nice guy too :)

Yeah, Im looking forward too it, will be interesting too see what our crowd makes of it too, as we're normally a dnb/jungle/dubstep thing but nobody here has been embracing wonky so we're giving it a go

michael

Bring out the vacuum
did a big interview w/ alex nut.

plus he did us a mix. both worth checking.

So in that interview, he says...

Alex Nut said:
I'm DJing, so I'm doing Floatingpoints' drums from the turntables. We've got a four-piece string section, Fatima's doing vocals and effects pedals and stuff. And Sam [Floatingpoints] is dplaying the ARP, keys, there's a bass player - it's something we've always wanted to do. Me and Floatingpoints are of the opinion… like, we like exciting new music, but at the same time we both like things on quite a grand scale. Like we could put out a Floatingpoints album tomorrow, and it would be all beat stuff; sample based stuff. But that's not what we're about - he's a classically trained musician, who does scores and writes arrangements - I mean he's a sick DJ too, but the classical thing, that's really him. This is where we want to take it; in a few years we want to be able to tour around.

... and, lo, Floating Points has done a live session now that showed up on Giles Peterson. The vocalist, the string section, jazzy bass guitar, live drums.

It's a complete 4 Hero of a trajectory, and over the course of only a couple of releases. Gutted.

I will say some of the strings are much better than your average weepy swelling chords, but I still prefer his tracks that sound fun and have interesting sounds in them.

Of course he may carry on being as eclectic as ever and release plenty of other good stuff.

luka

im quite fond of rusties music mostly but the mixes make me cringe. i think they are the worst i have ever heard. they dont hang together at all and the hiphop sounds very tokenistic and out of place. he should hang up the headphones and stick to remixing r&b records.

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
is theyre anywhere you can find his keisha cole remix? even on youtube or somthing....? properly incredible stuff, along with Dog Mask and Soapy Tits, like Black Dice or somthing

yeah that Rustie mix sounds just like a bunch of records thrown together quickly with no further thought, but it's still nice for hearing a few good new tunes. Plus, it has my fellow countrywoman BFlecha on it :)

tom lea

he's 27ish.

i think rustie's mixing style depends what he's playing - seem him play out before and it can be a bit disjointed but it works really well on this mix.