Fascism!

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
You can have a tacit assumption of purity without invoking it explicitly. This might be: "We are outside the games, outside the material supports and structures that constitute our own experiences."

For instance, in the case of the professor - someone with tenure really has no use at all for the capitalist market, and thus it is quite easy to see how they can freely condemn it. But this condemnation is hinged on their own particular status, which tends to be effaced from their arguments, in the context of presenting these in arguments as in some sense pure, and free from self-interest.

Also, if you think colleges and universities are immune from the concerns of any other big business, you're kidding yourself.

I worked at one, I was a fundraiser, and we had to bend over backwards for our constituents on the board, on the donor list, or who were prospective donors. Not only that, but higher education is a highly competetive market. (My first job out of college was at the Princeton Review, where I pulled info out my ass...I mean, "conducted surveys" that were the data we published as "rankings" and "guides"...)

Academia is far from some sort of privileged Other outside of capitalism that can easily attack it (via--papers? barely attended conferences?) from the sidelines without consequence...

STN

sou'wester
Am I right in thinking that most of the quotes in the TNR article are from the Introduction to the book? I can't say this inspires an enormous amount of confidence.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
Oliver:
Actually, Felice's analysis of fascism is so specific and forensic that he doesn't even consider the Franco regime to be fascist, per se.

i just wanted to note that the Roger Eatwell book i mentioned earlier (only just started it) follows Felice in this regard

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember when K-Punk first encountered him and came out of it extolling Bolshevism. Convinced, like. It was a major disaster.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Anyway, nevermind Zizek, Alain Badiou is the really corrosive influence.

Now this I'd have to agree with ;)

And not because he's scary, it's because I don't think math is being's great Gatekeeper anymore than I think biology is. Or code. Or economics.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ah, biology: "that wild empiricism masquerading as a science" (AB)...

Well he's in good company with Ernest Rutherford, then - "Physics is the only real science. The rest are just stamp collecting."

YouTube comments just look wrong when they're anything other than "OMG halarious!!! :):):)", heated arguments about games consoles or accusations that the other commentators are all, like, t0tally pwnd fagZ.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ain't that the truth.

Edit: not the relative positions of the sciences, just the gap between them and mathematics, I mean.

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember (for whatever reason) watching a youtube clip of the Spectrum ZX+ Bruce Lee game and the comments below it devolved into a private discussion between two alcoholics discussing their affliction, with such real time moments as "argh! I just cracked! went down the shops and got a 6-pack of cider! the wife won't be happy!" It was really weird and sad and disturbing, but also absolutely brilliant.