catalog

The 60s just never goes away. It's all still there. We are still coming to terms with it. Like someone on here (version?) was saying about Burroughs and the French people laying out and theorising the Internet way before we got it.

DannyL

Wild Horses
If you want to understand it from the perspective of someone who lived it, it's a brilliant piece of writing. He has to be pretty old now. I wonder what he's up to.

catalog

I loved his comments on The Black Panthers. Load of wanker wannabe Stalinists.
What's interesting about the panthers is how all the more mainstream French people loved em, Im thinking of genet and godard. Almost like muses. So not quite loved, but there was something attractive about them.

jenks

thread death
Those C4 programmes in 88 were really significant for me - a whole slew of great movies plus proper documentary stuff ranging from roots of Baader Meinhof to Chicago 68, demos at American Embassy, Paris obviously but also lots of Situationist influenced things. There was a big conference at LSE that had all sorts from N Irish politicians, SE Asian experts all trying to work out what it meant twenty years on…it’s fifty something years on and we’re still asking the same question.

The other book is throw into this discussion is Lipstick Traces the Greil Marcus book ostensibly about punk but it’s as much about Situationism as anything else.

Reading Danny’s post made me nostalgic for all those Vague days…

version

Situationism is very in these days! I wonder what it means. Return of the 60s, maybe

I just picked up that Debord book as I've been meaning to read him for a while; didn't realise Situationism was a thing again. What's been happening?

sus

Yes that and also everyone's reading and namedropping them again, at least in my NY art/lit scenes

sus

Or I've just started to notice. It's always hard to tell, when growing up, the difference between the world changing, and you learning about how the world works

version

Debord's disdain for experts in Comments... really sticks out post-2016.

All experts serve the state and the media and only in that way do they achieve their status. Every expert follows his master, for all former possibilities for independence have been gradually reduced to nil by present society’s mode of organization. The most useful expert, of course, is the one who can lie. With their different motives, those who need experts are falsifiers and fools. Whenever individuals lose the capacity to see things for themselves, the expert is there to offer an absolute reassurance. Once there were experts in Etruscan art, and competent ones, for Etruscan art was not for sale. But a period which, for example, finds it profitable to fake by chemical means various famous wines, can only sell them if it has created wine experts able to con connoisseurs into admiring their new, more distinctive, flavors.

luka

The 60s just never goes away. It's all still there. We are still coming to terms with it. Like someone on here (version?) was saying about Burroughs and the French people laying out and theorising the Internet way before we got it.
definitely wasn't version, he's never read a book. was probably me.