zhao

there are no accidents
that's true isn't it. i'll ask my bitches what they think... wait i don't care what they think.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
You know, it just occured to me that 'Rituals. Dancing. Loud Yelping' would be a great tag-line to put on a flyer for a club night.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
I caught a scene from a film on some kind of station a while back. It had Isabella Rosselini, lying on a gigantic stomach. I later discovered that the movie was "My Dad is 100 years old" by Guy Maddin, which is a documentary about Roberto Rosselini, but I only saw that one scene, and can barely remember it. But in the scene, Isabella says something like: "My father would always shoot his characters with their faces in the middle of the screen, without moving the camera. Anything else, he would say, was pretentious." I wish I could remember the exact quote, but that was the gist of it. I like this idea a lot - pretentiousness as some kind of superfluous formalist overreach.

The other idea of pretentiousness which I have is from the film "The Day the Earth Stood Still." The new version. A really great film - unfairly maligned. Anyway, the plot of the film is that a super-powered, super-intelligent alien comes to earth to decide whether or not the human race is worth saving. Ever since I saw this film, I thought - pretentiousness is a test of what you would say to the alien, and how you would say it. The alien, of course, you can't bullshit, and he would be completely unimpressed by any superfluous flourishes, whether theoretical, rhetorical, or whatever.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Maybe, maybe. But in the film itself, Jennifer Connolly and John Cleese manage to impress the alien enough so as to convince him to let us live.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If I were directing that film, the alien would come from a culture where the ability to totally shred on a guitar is held in higher esteem than any other quality, and Yngwie Malsteem and Joe Satriani would be selected to fight the ultimate guitar duel to save humanity. Of course both men's guitars would finally explode before a clear winner emerged, thus teaching the alien an important lesson about cooperation before he returns home a little older and wiser. Then new guitars are produced for Earth's saviours, and a world-wide party ensues.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Isabella Rosselini, lying on a gigantic stomach.

pretentiousness is a test of what you would say to the alien, and how you would say it.

it was not clear whether the gigantic stomach was her own or belonging to another (Jabba the Hutt?) that she was lying on.

the alien can be substituted by Allah no?

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
The stomach was Roberto's...

The alien as Allah... maybe, except that the Alien isn't really interested in humans per se, whereas Allah seems to be. Also, the alien doesn't demand worship or ask that anyone believe anything in particular.

zhao

there are no accidents
The stomach was Roberto's...

The alien as Allah... maybe, except that the Alien isn't really interested in humans per se, whereas Allah seems to be. Also, the alien doesn't demand worship or ask that anyone believe anything in particular.

well non interest or non demand of worship doesnt detract from the same philosophical situation which would be, according to you, a test of pretentiousness.

STN

sou'wester
I know this is what most people are going to call a petty, minor point and they're going to say I'm just making a mountain out of a molehill, but something that I've noticed many times, and it's always bothered me, is that when people are talking about the women in a society, they always make it possessive, as in "their women" (example, "have you seen the way Iraqis treat their women"), but I've never once in my life heard anyone refer to the men in a given society as "their men"--nobody ever talks about how Americans treat "their" men.

Pretty telling. More proof that Heidegger was right about language.

this stems partly from the idea of possession and, I think, partly because maleness is seen as the default position (i.e. it's never 'their' men because 'they' are the men). Both these things are as crap as each other.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
"well non interest or non demand of worship doesnt detract from the same philosophical situation which would be, according to you, a test of pretentiousness."

I don't think the situation would be the same. There is a difference between the relationship which you might have with God, who would be transcendent over you, and the relationship which you might have with a space alien, who might belong to a more advanced civilization, but who wouldn't be transcendent. The alien exists on a plane of (at least, ontological) equality, God does not.

zhao

there are no accidents
maybe... but im still not sure if i understand why what one chooses to say to this entity would be a test of pretentiousness...

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
this stems partly from the idea of possession and, I think, partly because maleness is seen as the default position (i.e. it's never 'their' men because 'they' are the men). Both these things are as crap as each other.

Yup. Agent posted that article that had those great points about all male reproduction and males in modernism being the default sex.

Did Dissensus change formats again?

STN

sou'wester
Oh sorry, I missed that (I sort of thought I wouldn't be the first person to make that point).

I think so - mine's gone a deeper blue.

vimothy

yurp
idog.jpg

IdleRich

IdleRich
"and as a side i'm entirely convinced that the 20 century construction of individuality, on the whole, makes us less happy"
I always find this hard (basically impossible) to accept, I don't think that individuality is a 20th century construction at all.