Cooking tips and wonderful flavour combinations

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Yeah, very simple salady things are pretty much what I'm after. They're good enough on their own, so it's a question of dishing them up with a little of something else to set them off...

Mozzarella and basil is classic and great. Maybe dishing them up with a few olives mixed in... Hmmm...

Dead easy thing from last night: tin of cannellini beans, tin of borlotti beans, drain, rinse, mix in roughly chopped fresh mint and finely chopped green chillis, serve. I went on to add coriander and lime juice, but I don't think that actually added much to the combination - it's just far nicer than it rationally ought to be...

routes

we can delay.ay.ay...
Routes' vague yankee chicken

1 tin tomato
1/3 cup molasses
1/4 cup vinegar
1 clove garlic, crushed
1 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt

Whizz up the tinned tomato (or use some kind of passata)
Stick everything in a pan and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat, and simmer for 10 minutes.
Makes about 1 cup of barbecue sauce.

if u can be bothered, stick the chicken pieces in a frying pan skin side down and get a bit of colour on them.
lightly baste chicken pieces with a bit of the sauce and place evenly on a oven dish skin side up.
stick in frickin hot oven for 23 minutes and 34 seconds
slather the remaining sauce all over the chicken and stick it back in for about 5 minutes. it should be ever so slightly burnt

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I'm curious how it taste, will this be sweet and spicy? Or just spicy?

---------------------------------------------------
http://www.bookswealth.com/plr-ebooks.php

I think sweet and spicy in its original form? We cant get the little sweet peppers in London - or not to my knowledge, so we kinda improvised and riffed off it, but I think sofrito is like ragu, everyone has their own version. The sweet peppers taste like scotch bonnets but without the searing heat apparently, sound delicious.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Not tried this yet, but sliced rare steak with pears stir-fried with spring onions/garlic/soy sauce/honey/sesame seeds/some kind of Khmer curry paste (think this involves lemongrass, kaffir lime leaves and a few other things)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Got my first good haul of the mushroom season today. :) So wild mushroom risotto for tea - just can't get enough of that combo of soft-fried onion/garlic/mushrooms with white wine. Not really a groundbreaking mix of flavours but dependably delicious.

Any other pickers here? Still got loads of scrumped apples I need to do something with (crumble, probably) and a freezer full of blackberries and elderberries. My girlfriend called me a 'bucoholic' the other day, sounds about right...

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Where do you go to pick mushrooms?

I had braised white cabbage with lardons, fennel seeds, thyme, chili flakes in stock, with glugs of red wine, soy, and Tabasco. Better than expected, well worth doing again.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mile End cemetery for one...but hands off, they're mine! Epping Forest is good too but you have to watch out for the mushroom police...seriously, I know it sounds lame but apparently the recent influx of people from Eastern Europe has led to an overpicking problem.

Rendang voted the most delicious food in the world

20110726113708603.jpg

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/jaka...d-in-the-world-and-nasi-goreng-is-no-2/464098

And here's the source article http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/eat/readers-choice-worlds-50-most-delicious-foods-012321?page=0,0

I like a Rendang as much as anyone and was blown away by the first one I ever ate. But not sure it's the most delicious food in the world. That is cheese and pickle on toast, obviously.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Probably...if they are I want to join them, I've always fancied trying swan. Swan stuffed with wild mushrooms, aw HELLZ YEAH.

Last edited:

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
20110726113708603.jpg

http://www.thejakartaglobe.com/jaka...d-in-the-world-and-nasi-goreng-is-no-2/464098

And here's the source article http://www.cnngo.com/explorations/eat/readers-choice-worlds-50-most-delicious-foods-012321?page=0,0

I like a Rendang as much as anyone and was blown away by the first one I ever ate. But not sure it's the most delicious food in the world. That is cheese and pickle on toast, obviously.
Any "X is an essentially better dish than Y" stuff is inherently retarded. Even leaving aside the fact that they've got 'dim sum' as a dish.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I mean, leaving aside the fact that polling the general public is seldom a good way to get an informed opinion, the fact that there's only one Indian dish in their top 50 probably says more about the standard of Indian restaurants in the US than it does about the relative merits of the best prepared Indian meals versus everything else...

I mean, leaving aside the fact that polling the general public is seldom a good way to get an informed opinion, the fact that there's only one Indian dish in their top 50 probably says more about the standard of Indian restaurants in the US than it does about the relative merits of the best prepared Indian meals versus everything else...

I'm sure it's just a bit of fun to fill a page on a website. Rendang is monstrous invention though - throw everything into the pot and simmer until it looks like shit but tastes like something you'd be served in jungle Valhalla. I could eat a whole one right now.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It does indeed say galingale - apaprently the root of the Cypress tree, which I never knew? Maybe there were a lot of cypress trees here at one time before all the forests got chopped down, or it could've been brought back from the Middle East?

i think there're a lot of ingredients (not that I've read anything specifically about this, just noticed) that have re-entered the British lexicon as 'exotic' but were used many centuries ago in the UK. Now I'm trying to think of any, I can't...fish sauce in Worcestershire sauce, for eg, and the Romans brought fish sauce here for other dishes. There's a spice too, can't think what it is right now......um....

ah yes, barberries (not a spice, but hey) - used a lot in mediaeval cuisine here, but mostly now thought of as an addition to Iranian rice dishes. They're fucking great in long grain rice, as well.

it's the old myth about the UK not having a culinary heritage....

Ah, reading more about it, it was cos rich people had galangal imported from the Mid East to impress their friends at dinner parties - nutmeg, clove etc used a lot in savoury dishes too, dumping the whole spice box in the dish, essentially. But there were def things as well like barberries that grow here but have just got out of fashion. For about 500 years.

Sorrel and lovage as well, among herbs.

Last edited:

grizzleb

Watch out with that galangal/galingale:

Galangal (galanga, blue ginger, laos) is a rhizome of plants of the genus Alpinia or Kaempferia in the ginger family Zingiberaceae, with culinary and medicinal uses originated from Indonesia. It is also known as galanggal, and somewhat confusingly galingale, which is also the name for several plants of the unrelated Cyperus genus of sedges (also with aromatic rhizomes).

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
@baboon - yeah, it's crazy to think how valuable spices were hundreds of years ago. The Americas were only discovered because Europeans were trying to find a shortcut to the 'spice islands' (Indonesia etc.), weren't they? And it was the promise of spices, as much as gold or silver, that drove a lot of early exploration. Mad shit.

@grizzleb: I saw that too, after I'd posted it. Maybe they mean the cypress-derived one in that recipe.

don_quixote

Trent End
tell you what, right now i can't get enough of boiling a ham in cider for two hours, with some veg, some cloves studded in it and some bay leaves, then 1) eating the ham on sandwiches and 2) making the most delicious soup ever out of the leftover stock