Middlebrow - confessions and definitions

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
But if you're saying, it's not right to dislike Radiohead just because they're considered middlebrow--ok, I get that. But I dislike them just because I can't stand TY's voice. Uck uck. He whines and his voice breaks like a 13-year-old boy's.

A few weeks ago my bf thought it was funny to play "write a TY song in five seconds or less" and I was about ready to pull my hair out he was so "good" at it. Throw in some backwards recorded parts.

Chris

fractured oscillations
I just don't see the point of this other than to self-conciously talk about certain musical groups/artists while still asserting cultural superiority/credibility.

I guess it can be used this way if people are using "middle brow" as pejorative. But it could positively just mean popular AND great. Something I wouldn't really make excuses to myself, or anybody else, for liking. I guess it's just the term "middle brow" itself, it kind of sounds like it might be implying blandness, unremarkability, and safeness, when really I think the definition in this thread would indicate stuff, that at its best, is anything but those things. Even the popularity might have been gained despite, or because of, taking a lot of creative risk.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
But if you're saying, it's not right to dislike Radiohead just because they're considered middlebrow--ok, I get that. But I dislike them just because I can't stand TY's voice. Uck uck. He whines and his voice breaks like a 13-year-old boy's.
It's not so much about disliking them because they're middlebrow as the implication that you've declared them to be intrinsically middlebrow and hence everyone who does like them is some bo-bo wannabe who lacks the intellect or sophistication to listen to 'proper' highbrow stuff. And yeah, we do all do this to some extent, but 'middlebrow' seems to come up a lot and to be a particularly blunt version.

nomadthethird

It's not so much about disliking them because they're middlebrow as the implication that you've declared them to be intrinsically middlebrow and hence everyone who does like them is some bo-bo wannabe who lacks the intellect or sophistication to listen to 'proper' highbrow stuff. And yeah, we do all do this to some extent, but 'middlebrow' seems to come up a lot and to be a particularly blunt version.

I just used middlebrow in another thread to describe Revolutionary Road, a movie I thought was pretty good for Hollywood. (Though nowhere near as good as Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf, the "highbrow" film version adapted from the play that I think would appeal to the sorts of viewers who'd be one step up one the demographic ladder of sophistication via a matrix calculated by taking everyone's Netflix queues and Google searches and cross-checking them with their most visited websites and Amazon suggestions)...

There are some things that are produced and aimed directly at the MOR lover easy-listening crowd, that I would classify as "middlebrow" and Capitol records (among other major labels) has a corner on that market, it's pretty well established. It's not all bad because it's middlebrow, but it's all middlebrow by almost any definition.

Last edited:

nomadthethird

I mean let's be honest, things that get mass produced or mass distributed these days are aimed to please the most people possible and are therefore going to be as deliberately middlebrow or middle of the road as possible at all times. That's the nature of the (old school) entertainment industry.

Things are slowly changing what with the internets revolutionizing the way music is sold and distributed, but I hestitate to say they're changing for the better in terms of the wider availability in music meaning that music is becoming more challenging to the listener rather than simply more tossed-together and hacked up on so-and-so's laptop.

nomadthethird

Chris said:
I guess it can be used this way if people are using "middle brow" as pejorative. But it could positively just mean popular AND great. Something I wouldn't really make excuses to myself, or anybody else, for liking. I guess it's just the term "middle brow" itself, it kind of sounds like it might be implying blandness, unremarkability, and safeness, when really I think the definition in this thread would indicate stuff, that at its best, is anything but those things. Even the popularity might have been gained despite, or because of, taking a lot of creative risk.

Yeah like people mentioned Fleetwood Mac on here a bunch of times, and Stevie Nicks esp, her solo work is so tuneful and melodic and catchy, with nice reverby production, totally awesome while being completely MOR/middlebrow.

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
how much does lyrical content figure into this? most Hip Hop is very populist and wide-appeal, especially this last decade... It could be both considered Middle-of-the-Road as wide-appeal, or Middle Brow as defined wide appeal with some invention and depth... Jay Z, Kany West, Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, Missy Elliot

I'm sure this just depends on who you ask, or what year you ask, but does MOR or Middle Brow by most people's definitions need to be family friendly, thus excluding a lot of Hip Hop/Rap?

I was thinking that maybe truly Middle Brow stuff would have to be able to be sold or featured at a Starbucks or Walmart without getting complaints... so no matter how popular or cross-over Rap gets, a lot of it is still kind of on the "edge" (while still in the mainstream) with Metal.

nomadthethird

how much does lyrical content figure into this? most Hip Hop is very populist and wide-appeal, especially this last decade... It could be both considered Middle-of-the-Road as wide-appeal, or Middle Brow as defined wide appeal with some invention and depth... Jay Z, Kany West, Tribe Called Quest, Outkast, Missy Elliot

I'm sure this just depends on who you ask, or what year you ask, but does MOR or Middle Brow by most people's definitions need to be family friendly, thus excluding a lot of Hip Hop/Rap?

I was thinking that maybe truly Middle Brow stuff would have to be able to be sold or featured at a Starbucks or Walmart without getting complaints... so no matter how popular or cross-over Rap gets, a lot of it is still kind of on the "edge" (while still in the mainstream) with Metal.

Interesting point...

It's hard to say. A lot of hip-hop, due to lyrical content, does sort of alienate or cut out of its own market the older white "rural" male crowd in the U.S., so you do lose them. But what's lost in old white men is easily made up in young white women, young mixed, latino, black, etc, etc. It's not a rich old white man's world anymore, at least not in the U.S., not for much longer.

And you do get the Wal-Mart versions, all cleaned up... and you can consider the fact that hip-hop does most of its chart-topping sales in singles, which are often sanitized for radio anyhow...and easy to middlebrow up for mass consumption...

Chris

fractured oscillations
Yeah like people mentioned Fleetwood Mac on here a bunch of times, and Stevie Nicks esp, her solo work is so tuneful and melodic and catchy, with nice reverby production, totally awesome while being completely MOR/middlebrow.

Yeah, I guess Fleetwood Mac could be considered the epitome of good middle brow (didn't they even play at Clinton's inauguration? for some reason that seems relevant to the subject)... but yeah, they may be just about one of my favorite bands ever. In their case it's not so much that they're game-changing, they're just hauntingly... just... I don't even fucking know. The simplicity of their songcraft... sublime understatement. Like Ringo's drumming. Don't... have the words.

nomadthethird

Yeah, I guess Fleetwood Mac could be considered the epitome of good middle brow (didn't they even play at Clinton's inauguration? for some reason that seems relevant to the subject)... but yeah, they may be just about one of my favorite bands ever. In their case it's not so much that they're game-changing, they're just hauntingly... just... I don't even fucking know. The simplicity of their songcraft... sublime understatement. Like Ringo's drumming. Don't... have the words.

They're so 70s.

When I was a kid I used to mix up Stevie Nicks and Belinda Carlisle's solo albums. :eek: "Circle in the Sand" does have a certain Nicksy quality to it, even down to the production values.

mixed_biscuits

Play might have been middlebrow but Moby's stepped out of the MOR many times - his happy hardcore stuff for instance (lowbrow, I guess).

People like a sprinkling of the exotic - middlebrow artists give a little something unusual within a comprehensible context. They can be a bridge to the far-out.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
EDIT: To be clear, I understand we all do this to a certain extent when making any sort of value judgement, but I think it's the large-scale grouping, the class connotations, and especially this idea of "confession" that really turns me off.

That self-deprecating "confession" bit is what really irks me, the ironic wink of "guilty pleasures". I'm sure this thread is mostly meant in good fun but most of the time this it just seems like the worst of hipster cliches, the same as ironic mustaches and trucker hats, a way to approriate something while simultaneously sneering at it and at anyone who "legitimately" enjoys it. I'm not much into popism but I do like the basic idea that you shouldn't apologize for liking something.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Ok, so I seem to have done quite a poor job of replying to this. Great to see all the discussion, as it's gone on quite far now I'm just going to respond to general things that keep coming up rather than individual posts.

People who are saying 'it's not music that is middlebrow, it's only music listeners that are middlebrow': in the final analysis, yes, I would accept that. And we can see that in the way the genuinely strange or challenging music can come to be seen as middlebrow purely as a result of long periods of critical acceptance. However, I would argue that, taking the existence of the middlebrow audience as a given, there is some music produced that seems to fit this audience like a glove, right from the off. Nomad's concept of a 'bourgeois sensibility' seems important here. Such a sensibility clearly must exist first and foremost in the listener, the consumer. But once it's widely established as a public standard, it becomes something that musical artists may come to share, or something that artists can market their work towads, whether they share the sensibility themselves or not.

People who are saying things along the line of 'Listeners should just like what they like and not feel guitly about it, not feel the need to justify it'. This is an interesting one.
In terms of the context of the thread, I would have hoped the lighthearted intent in the 'confessions' aspect should have been obvious. If anything, rather that simply accepting that middlebrow music was A Bad Thing, the thread was meant to interrogate what middlebrow actually meant and whether people are right to so often dismiss or disparage it. I did wonder how long it would take us to start talking about hipsters though, it's rather like our own personal Godwin's Law :p. FWIW, I'm certain that a lot of the music myself and others actually dovetails with a certain sector of hipster taste and has gotten great write-ups in places like Pitchfork. But to reiterate from a previous post, what I'm talking about is not the same thing as the ironic enjoyment of chart-pop. Like most people here I hope, I think mainstream pop can often be great, and can be appreciated as such without any need for irony.
But as to the basic contention itself, about lack of guilt - yes and no. Yes, in that certainly, in our society it is still the case that exclusion works by labelling groups as 'the wrong sort of people' and by making they themselves feel to be as such, often in very subtle and underhand ways and often operating through seemingly rather trivial areas such as cultural taste. This is obviously something we need to move beyond. But on the flipside, I would feel that a certain degree of guilt or unease about musical taste are inevitable, precisely because music is something that people care about and invest their time in so much, and part of this care can involve deciding what you don't like, what you think is a bad idea for music as much as a good thing. It would seem that there are legitimate aesthetic and ideological reasons for being at least suspicious of middlebrow music - that it tends to be joyless, unimaginative, comforting/comfortable, tied to a limited or outdated idea of what is 'tasteful' and so forth. Therefore if like myself you find yourself enjoying things that seem to fall within this category, it doesn't seem surprising that at first you would feel uneasy as a music fan; but hopefully rather than just feeling ashamed and unworthy, you would then go on to try and justify what appeals and what is worthwhile in this music, despite any potential drawbacks.
I should say that, although I thought this thread would be one that could generate stimulating and in-depth discussion (which it has), I didn't anticipate it getting so many people wound up. Whether the fact that it has is bad or good I'm not sure yet. :D

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I was just reading this and was mildly flummoxed to see 1995 S.R. slag of early (as in Studio Pressure/System X/The Sentinel era) Photek as "middlebrow". I mean, I know what he was getting at of course - in retrospect it seems like his valid critique about D&B lite/coffee table/jazz flava was about a year or two ahead of the mark and it nails most of the other producers he mentions - but still, early Photek! I suppose hindsight's 20/20 and all. Anyway I just thought it was an interesting example that shows that "middlebrow" can be used in pretty much any context to describe anything.