Middlebrow - confessions and definitions

Chris

fractured oscillations
the reason for these crap crap crap neolo-jisms has, of course, been painfully obvious for a long time: these 'critics' (suppresses giggles) seem to think that inventing a new word somehow substitutes for an actual ARGUMENT or significant discussion ... it's everywhere in british music criticsm, and proof of a thoroughgoing and total banality ... make up some neologism and repeat it a thousand times and hopefully it becomes a BRAND in the CAPITALIST MARKETPLACE and people think that you are 'theoretical' hahahahaha ...

... the best is that half of these dimwits don't even know the words that they are neologizing! K-punk's "nomadalgia" haahahahahaha oh god that's a funny one (he thinks it means "travel sickness")

it' eshun's fault i suppose, "FUTURHYTHM" , lol @ jamming together a latin future participle with a greek word as if somehow that means something (OH BUT IT DOES, IT DOES, "SPEEDTRIBES IS A BRILLIANT IDEA!" cries the blogger hysterically lol ffs...

... history will not be kind to these jokers, but in the end they deserve it ... LONG LIVE THE INTERNETS AND THE MARKETPLACE WHERE REPEATING STUPID WORDS IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE EXERCISE HOPEFULLY GETTING U ARTICLS AND BOOKZ !!!!

The%20Sex%20Pistols%20JOHNNY%20SING.JPG

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
HAHAHAHA, what have I done? I seem to have unleashed a monster.
whatever is not my alter-ego or otherwise affiliated with me - God's honest. :eek:

whatever

it took u (=CHRIS) 20 minutes to post the picture of a washed up racist ?

:cue discussion of the importance of death disco & metal box here:

LOL

or were u agreeing with me that sum writers are pretty vacant rofl

(i like u tho, chris, don't get me wrong, u have humor)

(and surely no one take me seriously anyway)

Last edited:

Chris

fractured oscillations
it took u 20 minutes to post the picture of a washed up racist ?

:cue discussion of the importance of death disco & metal box here:

LOL

or were u agreeing with me that sum writers are pretty vacant rofl

(i like u tho, chris, don't get me wrong, u have humor)

(and surely no one take me seriously anyway)

I actually like you too, whatever. Don't agree with you about these journos, but it's all good, I find all this highly amusing for some reason.

zhao

there are no accidents
pretty much all things i consider "middlebrow", i either hate, or have grown completely tired of (EDIT) by the age of 24. belonging in second category are things like Kruder and Dorfmeister, Sonic Youth, Bjork, etc.

Last edited:

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah, Bjork.... she's an interesting one, an artist I always thought I wouldn't like, to the extent of sort of avoiding hearing stuff by her, but then when I finally heard her properly via seeing her at a music festival, turns out she's alright. Not fantastic, IMO, but worth the odd listen.

littlebird

Wild Horses
lol

Hey remember the So Cal definition of bro? Like not meaning hippies, but those jock dudes from Orange County, Long Beach, or Inland Empire with tribal tattoos and short, bleached hair, blasting Sublime, Limp Bizkit, or RHCP out of their lifted trucks? They seem to have been replaced by Emos, but I still sometimes see them at bars, still bein' total bros. Not bad guys per se, just...

I think they were like the Westcoast version of Guidos.

how could i possibly forget?
i shared a wall with an apartment full of 4-8 (depending on who had passed out on their living room full of mattresses the night before) Bros, who were my nextdoor neighbors for about a year. at the time if i'd heard a 'Santaria' sing-a-long i would have had to impale my own ear drums.

Westcoast Guidos. nods.

strangely the term seems to have re-appeared to describe a group of anti-emo kids who smoke pot, travel via skateboards or pickup trucks, and dress as if they are the love children of Tony Hawk and Katy Perry (GROAN).

littlebird

Wild Horses
Yeah, Bjork.... she's an interesting one, an artist I always thought I wouldn't like, to the extent of sort of avoiding hearing stuff by her, but then when I finally heard her properly via seeing her at a music festival, turns out she's alright. Not fantastic, IMO, but worth the odd listen.

i had the opposite reaction. enjoyed a few of her album endeavors, but saw her play at a festival and found her overrated, and forgettable. though, i suppose, outdoor venues in near-unbearable heat is not the best judge of an artist's performance chops.

zhao

there are no accidents
know what is one exception, one middle brow group i still love and have time for (once in a while)?

orbital.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Yeah Orbital are pretty good. Get the impression there's still a whole lot of things by them I should have listened to but haven't though.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Belfast is basically Exhibit A in the case that taking a melodic, musical approach to raving music can work on occassion, isn't it?

swears

preppy-kei
Yeah Orbital are pretty good. Get the impression there's still a whole lot of things by them I should have listened to but haven't though.

I've got a lot of love for their earlier singles, stuff like Chime, Halcyon, Lush 3... so many lovely melancholy textures and melodies, although later on they did get a bit proggy and dull. Maybe from their second album onwards.

zhao

there are no accidents
I've got a lot of love for their earlier singles, stuff like Chime, Halcyon, Lush 3... so many lovely melancholy textures and melodies, although later on they did get a bit proggy and dull. Maybe from their second album onwards.

yeah Halcyon and Lush 3 for sure. but The Box EP with the 5 versions of the song. truly great. completely unique Techno Gamelan Breakbeat innovation the likes of which i've never heard anywhere else. by Snivilization they were kinda losing it, but at the time it came out i still really really enjoyed it.

Benny Bunter

I've still got quite a lot of time for 'In sides' too, much better than Snivilisation. They seriously dropped off after that though, starting with that rubbish version of the Dr Who theme.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Not entirely certain if they deserve to get tagged with the m-b word, but does anyone else remember Audiobullies? Whatever happened to them?

mms

sometimes
Not entirely certain if they deserve to get tagged with the m-b word, but does anyone else remember Audiobullies? Whatever happened to them?

now this is what caspa and rosko most remind me of, they're still around they were like big beat oasis electro weren't they?