Naomi Klein - The Shock Doctrine

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
A situationist response might be to look to historical forces, to the growth of this large "representational" space -- the mass media -- and its increasing importance in the post-WWII period. Perhaps the American culture wars are a function of a particular technology.

The question concerning the technology of the culture wars.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Here is a statement I would like to run past you Nomad: "Women are beautiful when they cry."

Is this statement misogynistic or feminist?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
What would that depend on?

the speaker, the audience they're speaking too (it could also be oneself, as a thought), the place (Geography, I guess), etc. there's a word for this - relativism, philosopher friends? that's probably a loaded and/or discredited term I don't know.

vimothy

yurp
Who are you thinking of?

But quite the opposite, AFAIK. Clausewitz is the most widely studied studied military theorist and that is his most famous line. It is total orthodoxy. Furthermore, I'd be quite suspicious of anyone who disagreed. Particularly if they had any influence!

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
Foucault, whom I remain clueless about, asked:

"Should one then turn around the formula and say that politics is war pursued by other means? Perhaps if one wishes to always to maintain a difference between war and politics, one should suggest rather that this multiplicity of force-relations can be coded - in part and never totally - either in the form of "war" or in the form of "politics"; there would be here two different strategies (but ready to tip over into each other) for integrating these unbalanced, heterogeneous, unstable, tense force relations."

(In 1976, during his course at the College de France "Society Must be Defended")

EDIT: There are lots of criticisms of Clauswitz, though - no?

Last edited:

padraig (u.s.)

Who are you thinking of?

But quite the opposite, AFAIK. Clausewitz is the most widely studied studied military theorist and that is his most famous line. It is total orthodoxy. Furthermore, I'd be quite suspicious of anyone who disagreed. Particularly if they had any influence!

John Keegan. I recently read A History of Warfare, which I thoroughly enjoyed, & he spends a good deal of time trashing Von Clausewitz. how fairly I don't know, I've also seen essays slagging off Keegan for misreading Clausewitz. anyway I'd think John Keegan is pretty influential in the field of military history, if an old geezer these days, so perhaps not influential on current policy.

basically a big piece of his argument was that war is cultural & not -just- a continuation of policy by other means.

padraig (u.s.)

"Should one then turn around the formula and say that politics is war pursued by other means? Perhaps if one wishes to always to maintain a difference between war and politics, one should suggest rather that this multiplicity of force-relations can be coded - in part and never totally - either in the form of "war" or in the form of "politics"; there would be here two different strategies (but ready to tip over into each other) for integrating these unbalanced, heterogeneous, unstable, tense force relations."

EDIT: There are lots of criticisms of Clauswitz, though - no?

that's an interesting quote, though I suspect too ah, ambiguous perhaps for military theorists? tho I know very little about military theory beyond the bits & pieces I pick up (Vimothy you're an Abu Muqawama reader aren't you?).

to elaborate on Keegan's "war is cultural" off the top of my head; like, for example, the Mongols (& in general Central Asian nomads) were so successful militarily in large part due to their culture - everyone was used to violence, males grew up masters of riding & archery, they were very disciplined from generations of living hard on very meager resources - though this stuff also proved to be their undoing cause they were great at conquering but terrible at ruling those they'd conquered - or to do so they adopted the sedentary lifestyles of their subjects & lost what had made them so fearsome in the first place. anyway...

vimothy

yurp
Sure, right. But you have to remember why and for who Clausewitz was writing. War is obviously very complex, and not always the clashing columns of drilled soldiers fighting for the nation. And sure, people go to war for lots of reasons. But Clausewitz's advice should not be forgotten. If we look at war as someone about to fight it, for instance, what we are about to do is kill and be killed. Yet massacres are not the subject of On War. He is writing about something else. Consider Israel: it can do this -- unleash hell -- at will on any side. But what, in practice, does this mean?

vimothy

yurp
padraig -- I recommend Mr BoShambles' links in the Great Lakes thread. He is very interested in war as a socio-cultural activity.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
"But what, in practice, does this mean?"

But politics is soaked in psychologies, and infinite numbers of micropolitical actors, who the representatives of state are, within the state, alternately vying for, attempting to suppress or oppressed. How do these demographics grow, reduce or increase or size, acquire positions of influence or lose them.

The war makes the State.
The State makes war.

Last edited:

vimothy

yurp
Josef: just so. I believe the distinction is this -- Keegan might tell us why war is fought, but Clausewitz tells us how to fight it.

padraig (u.s.)

Sure, right. But you have to remember why and for who Clausewitz was writing. War is obviously very complex, and not always the clashing columns of drilled soldiers fighting for the nation. And sure, people go to war for lots of reasons. But Clausewitz's advice should not be forgotten. If we look at war as someone about to fight it, for instance, what we are about to do is kill and be killed. Yet massacres are not the subject of On War. He is writing about something else. Consider Israel: it can do this -- unleash hell -- at will on any side. But what, in practice, does this mean?

I didn't mean it was wrong, just that there were differing views. or not even differing, additional is perhaps a better term. I'm sure there are worthwhile things to be found in Clausewitz. also I've never read On War.

and surely for Israel the cost of doing so is too high, in terms both material (the support it they'd lose) & moral (the support they'd lose, the complaints of a fairly large segment of their own population). if the benefit of doing so had came to outweigh the costs it would mean that things had become seriously, irredeemably f***ed.

padraig (u.s.)

padraig -- I recommend Mr BoShambles' links in the Great Lakes thread. He is very interested in war as a socio-cultural activity.

right, thanks. though tbc I'm not saying that reading war as a cultural rather than a political acitivity is more valid, merely that that's what Keegan thinks. probably both readings are useful.