NASTY Crew vs. Roll Deep

Immryr

am i really reading this? NASTY crew at their peak was just sooooo incredible, their radio shows were much more focused and had the most hype ever. how can you deny the characters they had? D E E, sharky major, hyper, ghetto? roll deep had its fair share of really dull people in it too. mak 10 makes a hell of a difference to the crew, by far the best grime dj - untouchable.

oh and that mc is major ace

Got to say have never felt breeze or brazen much at all. They aren't essential Roll Deep to me.

brazen's tune about cheating on girls on aim high 1 when he sounds about 12 is really doing it for me right now, sounds very dizzee, but normally i'd agree

brazen boy

benjybars

village elder.
Skepta was definitely on loads of Roll Deep sets from late 04 through 05. Pirate grime was quite bare apart from the Roll Deep Rinse shows for a few months around that period. Not that many crews on radio, although I guess you had Heat FM in north, and On Top in south at the time. With Deja stopping grime and Raw Blaze/Raw UK dissappearing, it just felt like there weren't many crews on.

yeah i definitely remember first hearing his 'go on den' bars regulaly in late 04. as you say roll deep were pretty much the ONLY regular crew on pirate radio at this point - although by summer 05 ruff sqwad were killing it every week. definitely the golden age of ruff sqwad.

in fact i might say:

ruff sqwad summer 05 sunday night 11-1 rinse 100.3>>>>>> any other crew.

yeah fuck it. that's what i say.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
am i really reading this? NASTY crew at their peak was just sooooo incredible, their radio shows were much more focused and had the most hype ever. how can you deny the characters they had? D E E, sharky major, hyper, ghetto? roll deep had its fair share of really dull people in it too. mak 10 makes a hell of a difference to the crew, by far the best grime dj - untouchable.

Gotta agree with this, though that doesn't mean they're better than RD, just on a par. DEE and Sharky are surely two of the five or six best MCs in grime ever, along with Trim, Riko, Doogz and Wiley (imho)? And the stuff that Jammer was coming out with in 2003/4 was next level - Vice Versa, all that stuff...

And yep, surprised Ruff Sqwad haven't been mentioned til two replies back!

Last edited:

gumdrops

im prob alone in this but i always thought nasty were a bit one dimensional compared to roll deep. hype/angry in a good way yeah and they had a few stand out mcs but the rest just seemed to blur into one. i dont really mind when mcs all blur into one fwiw, it just makes the 'unit' aspect stronger imo, but nasty are almost more meat and potatoes grime mcing, roll deep had more flair.

Badga Tek

Flushing MCs down the loo
Love the fact that this thread with loads of people mentioning classic grime radio shows from various crews at various times, happens to coincide with grimetapes being, if not quite down then, severely hampered.

Anyway, big up guys. Plenty for someone like me who loves grime but has never truly jumped in with regards to pirate radio sets to check.

Love the fact that this thread with loads of people mentioning classic grime radio shows from various crews at various times, happens to coincide with grimetapes being, if not quite down then, severely hampered.

ah fuck it

NASTY
http://grimetapes.googlepages.com/nastycrew
Roll Deep
http://grimetapes.googlepages.com/rolldeep
Ruff Sqwad
http://grimetapes.googlepages.com/ruffsqwad

Some links are already broken.

Let's not forget the fact that Younger Nasty were fucked as well, and harboured Griminal & Lil Nasty among others. I'd recommend the Xmas Day '04 set as a prime example but tinyload is dead.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
I wish now I had made this thread "Nasty Crew vs. Roll Deep vs. Ruff Sqwad".

I really think they can contend in this debate. If you want to talk about cohesion, these guys are the best there is. When they all MC together it's like they read each other's minds.

And because Guns N' Roses Vol. 1 is a stone cold grime classic.

Immryr

im prob alone in this but i always thought nasty were a bit one dimensional compared to roll deep. hype/angry in a good way yeah and they had a few stand out mcs but the rest just seemed to blur into one. i dont really mind when mcs all blur into one fwiw, it just makes the 'unit' aspect stronger imo, but nasty are almost more meat and potatoes grime mcing, roll deep had more flair.

i could not disagree with this any more, NASTY, when they were at their best, were a powerhouse unit - pure cohesion, pure focus. roll deep is/was more of a collection of individuals. NASTY's line up was also more consistent for a long time, with roll deep there was often a sense of a new guy coming in and bringing hype - which would spur things on for a while, then that would fizzle out untill some next change happened.

luka

Only way roll deep were better was production. They had a whole team. Nasty just had jammer.

luka

Nasty deja sets is grime nothing else is as perfect as that
The energy the interplay the distinct individual styles fully developed from day one... Roll deep were shit on radio. No one turned up. It would be wiley plus some random street urchin like ricky nek

CrowleyHead

Also Nasty generally sound like they all wrote their own bars whereas Wiley, Killa P and Manga have spent a ton of energy propping up the myth of Flow Dan's musical talent.