Iranian democracy

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Obviously the US military is huge, but on a purely practical point: could the US even afford an invasion of Iran, now or any time in the foreseeable future (in terms of men, money, materiel) given its commitments in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Or is that looking at it the wrong way, since 'military action' would mean airstrikes on the weapons facilities, rather than an invasion?

Or might the US give the green light to Israel to have a go...well, let's hope not. :eek:

vimothy

yurp
sn't it possible that Iranians voted for Ahmadinejad because of his redistributive policies against his opponent's commitment to a neo-liberal project?

That's a mis-characterisation of Mousawi. So no, since Mousawi isn't committed to neo-liberalism. It is possible that Ahmedinejad won the election fairly. But that doesn't seem to be very likely. You can look at the irregularities. For instance, Ahmedinejad is supposed to have taken Tehran, the cosmopolitan city mush headed liberals were mistaking for the rest of the country. Or the fact that Mahdi Karroubi polled almost 0% of the vote in his native province of Lorestan, which he won with 55% of the vote in 2005.

four_five_one

Infinition
It is possible that Ahmedinejad won the election fairly. But that doesn't seem to be very likely. You can look at the irregularities. For instance, Ahmedinejad is supposed to have taken Tehran, the cosmopolitan city mush headed liberals were mistaking for the rest of the country. Or the fact that Mahdi Karroubi polled almost 0% of the vote in his native province of Lorestan, which he won with 55% of the vote in 2005.

You're probably right, but I'd just read this before I wrote that: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/06/14/AR2009061401757.html

craner

Beast of Burden
It's safe to say that Mousavi, no instinctive reformer, has become a default figurehead for something far larger, and fundamental. This is already bigger than 1999, and when it dies down, the aftershocks will be profound. I am indecently excited. It's overdue.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
The protesters are up against the best armed and most repressive sector of the Iranian government. This could end in a slaughter.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
the problem with Ahmadinejad as scourge of neo-liberalism (the line i note LENIN'S TOMB has settled into - along with a universally agreeable lauding of the protests which is fair enough - following a guest contributor's somewhat, er, relaxed initial analysis of the early outcome results) is that all the admirable state programmes in the world (and a lot of his state programmes have been very regressive, not progressive) don't disguise that, Ahmadinejad, in recent years, has come in for heavy criticism for his handling of the economy, criticism that notes he has not been too successful in ameliorating the condition of working Iranian people AFAICT.

all the Juan Cole, Jeff Weintraub-channeling-the-Brit-ambassador and Gary Sick pieces i linked to up-thread are more than worth a look in their own right, but a money quote from one of the Cole bits (without context you'd want to go back and read, of course, for the meat)

And just because Ahmadinejad poses as a champion of the little people does not mean that his policies are actually good for workers or farmers or for working class women (they are not, and many people in that social class know that they are not).

@four_five_one, nice to see someone correctly call a spade a spade re PAD-aligned thugs in Thailand and their appalling assault on the democratic process! (though you are, of course, also right to say Thaksin ran death squads etc.
as a matter of fact i mean to put up a fair-sized piece on some of Thaksin's crimes and excesses on one of my blogs soon.)

if you would care to start a thread about that, riffing on your reflections and such, please do, Thai politics is one of my main areas of interest. (though i have never even been to the country :eek: )

:cool:

incidentally, one of the Cole pieces i link to a few pages ago - much like the piece Josef/Vimothy has linked to just now - takes aim at that Washington Post piece regarding the Terror Free Tomorrow polling and does so, for my money, quite fairly and persuasively.

josef k.

Dangerous Mystagogue
the problem with Ahmadinejad as scourge of neo-liberalism (the line i note LENIN'S TOMB has settled into...

I always read Lenin's Tomb when I am looking for something really stupid. I don't really know why...

You're quite excitable this evening Vimothy...

vimothy

yurp
Globalisation is fundamentally altering the power of the state. Every fule kno this. And sometimes, it is a good thing.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
I always read Lenin's Tomb when I am looking for something really stupid. I don't really know why...

yes Craner and i want to take him and Seumas Milne for a drink, we can chat about Oscar Wilde and the miner's strike; if on nothing else, we can agree totally on these topics.

(up pops Craner to tell me, er, no, he's a GB Shaw man.)