Risibly expensive things

STN

sou'wester
I went to buy some wrapping paper from a paper shop today, and the most expensive stuff you could get was nine quid a sheet, for some hand-drawn Japanese wrapping paper. There's no real point to this but golly I'm shocked.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Printer cartrigdes cost $50. Or something nearly as stupid. For ink (and not very much of it). In a plastic container.

scottdisco

rip this joint please
boutique stores where tee shirts are well over £100, often approaching 200.

that's a laugh.

there's no high-grade diamond or silver inlaid there and buying the tee shirt doesn't immediately get you a night with their member of staff you fancy the most and it doesn't come with a load of gift vouchers for their catalogue: it's just a tee shirt, made from cotton, perhaps with some quirky design on the front.

i saw a squiggly skull sort of design on an otherwise remarkably plain tee shirt in a Selfridges once and it was about £150.

note to Nomad (if she's still around), our Selfridges bags look like your Forever 21 bags

2465685264_d11da84bc6.jpg

forever.jpg

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
drinks in London pubs.

You took the words out of my mouth so fast it actually hurt.

Also, lamb chops that work out about a quid for one decent-sized mouthful of meat. When farmers have been shooting and burning newborn lambs because it's not financially viable to raise them until they're big enough to go to (super)market. :mad:

Last edited:

hucks

Your Message Here
Train fares. If you don't get on it at least two months in advance, you're paying £120 to get from London to Edinburgh on a Friday evening. That's useless.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"it's about time the uk heritage industry cashed in and started ramping up the prices. £8 a bottle of Old Badger's Fart anyone?"
Shhhhh

"Train fares. If you don't get on it at least two months in advance, you're paying £120 to get from London to Edinburgh on a Friday evening. That's useless.
Yeah, train fares take the biscuit I reckon - I wanted to go to my Grandma's funeral in Manchester and for a day return that would have allowed me to get there in time they wanted almost THREE HUNDRED FUCKING QUID. Plus the trains are shite and don't get there on time and they never run on weekends. Is there a more depressing phrase in the English language than "replacement bus service"? Guaranteed to ruin that little visit you had planned.

viktorvaughn

Also, lamb chops that work out about a quid for one decent-sized mouthful of meat. When farmers have been shooting and burning newborn lambs because it's not financially viable to raise them until they're big enough to go to (super)market. :mad:

thats depressing...can you not eat the really young ones? guess they don't have much meat on them.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fruit and vegetables in supermarkets. No wonder so many of our children are still dying of scurvy*.

London tube passes. "Oh, I see. You want to go to zone 1. That'll be an extra three thousand pounds, I'm afraid."

* true for the purposes of this argument.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
thats depressing...can you not eat the really young ones? guess they don't have much meat on them.

Dunno - could well be some law about a minimum age/weight before they can be sold for consumption.

I dunno if what I described is still going on, though it definitely was a few years ago. But as a general rule farmers are getting completely screwed over by the big supermarkets, who form a sort of reverse cartel to buy meat at rock-bottom prices and then make a killing at the checkout.

crackerjack

Yeah, train fares take the biscuit I reckon - I wanted to go to my Grandma's funeral in Manchester and for a day return that would have allowed me to get there in time they wanted almost THREE HUNDRED FUCKING QUID.

Eh? That's beyond outrageous, you should actually take up arms.

Is there a more depressing phrase in the English language than "replacement bus service"? Guaranteed to ruin that little visit you had planned.

I visited my brother in a very posh parrt of the west country last week. Return train cancelled, RBS which we had to phone to find out about, arrived 30 mins late, 45 after cancelled train. Tore across these narrow country roads to make the Newbury train excpet when it had to stop for cows crossing and to pick up passengers in Hungerford. Which seemed kinda fitting....

A lot of white faces by the end.

zhao

there are no accidents
Train fares. If you don't get on it at least two months in advance, you're paying £120 to get from London to Edinburgh on a Friday evening. That's useless.

do you guys all pay for the train? i stopped buying tickets or paying for monthly transit passes right after finding out that the ticket people, who are far and few in between, can not actually lay a hand on you because they are not police, and you can just run.

but i ride my hummerbike 95% of the time.

massrock

I've seen them call ahead to have transport cops wait for someone at a station who's been found not to have the right ticket while on the train.

Again though the Germans are much more nervous about being authoritarian then the British are now.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
I wanted to go to my Grandma's funeral in Manchester and for a day return that would have allowed me to get there in time they wanted almost THREE HUNDRED FUCKING QUID.

and you can get a flight from germany to UK (or Turkhia for that matter) for 30 euros if you plan ahead...