Coffee

Leo

the light on my recently purchased drip coffee maker just started flashing, indicating i need to descale for the first time. any suggestions about the best method? i've seen 500ml bottles of descaler solution on sale for $12, which seems high. also read online about people using a half-and-half mixture of water and distilled white vinegar, and some who use diluted citric acid. appreciate any suggestions, thanks.

slowtrain

i have started drinking regularly

if i buy a coffee i always buy it 'neat'

when i am at home i am a gigantic faggot and i have my coffee (espresso) with jaggery and cream and whiskey

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Was about to ask if any of those measure up against St Ali, then realised that Workshop is the new(ish) name for St Ali. It's really good. As you were.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
We've reached stupid junkie levels of preparation of our works here at the Sausage Factory for coffee nowadays :

Cona siphon coffee maker
Bloody ceramic head grinder which is too small
Nice coffee

then the Doc's sister bought us a stupid milk warmer now which does different warmnesses of milk.

It makes fucking delicious coffee but it takes us like 40 minutes to make coffee now. Worse than smackheads.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Yep, that. Plus Aeropress and the fucking scales. But unlike heroin there really is no chance of going back.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Yep, that. Plus Aeropress and the fucking scales. But unlike heroin there really is no chance of going back.

I guess at least this way it's only one and a half cups a day or evry other day cos I really can't be fucked most of the time.

Aeropress looks interesting but I can't possibly clean out those works and the other ones as well. The house will look like a meth factory.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
OK, so a couple of weeks ago on my birthday I treated myself to a pot of Blue Mountain in Oxford's fancy-schmancy Grand Cafe. It was twice the price of all their other coffees and while it was certainly nice, it sure has hell wasn't twice as nice. I really don't see what all the fuss is about to be honest. Is it a bit like wine in that there's no point paying top dollar unless you have a refined enough palate to discriminate the really good stuff from the merely quite good stuff?

If it actually tasted as good as it smells, well that would be a different matter.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Yeah, I think the comparison with wine holds.

I tried giving up coffee but there was no fucking point. Back on it like I was never gone.

luka

heard a rumour that advanced barista guru ray cappuccino is appearing for 2 days only at t. next week. cant make any promises but its looking good. more details as they come in.

Last edited:

luka

we're just in negotiations with him at the moment but its a bit tricky cos hes on a retreat in tibet and the internet access is quite limited.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Oh come on, you must think we were born yesterday. Everyone knows 'Ray Cappuccino' is an urban myth.

luka

well im loth to take away any of the mystique as its part of what hes about but i can safely say he is real and he is one man and one man alone. i think theres gonna be a lot of humble pie eaten if we can get him over here.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I reckon it's gonna be a no-show unless you can fill a brandy glass with brown M&Ms for him...

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Thinking of getting some coffee apparatus for the R&D Den at work, so we're no longer chained to the awful drip machine.

French press seems obvious, but also considering a Chemex pour-over thing, partly because they're meant to make decent coffee and also because they look nice and get massive hipster points and as a software R&D department we need all the hipster points we can get. Are they worth the extra cost? We're kind of limited in our options by needing something you can fill from a kettle that'll produce about 3-6 cups.