Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
I used to play FM07 but have retired because there wasn't more I could be bothered to do that I hadn't already and it just steals your life from you.

Just got round to playing and finishing Mirror's Edge even though it was released ages ago. Really liked what it is trying to and how it was immersive (eg. with the rolls), but the plot was so so bad. I literally predicted the twist within five minutes of starting. Still, have to applaud games trying something different I think even if they're not entirely successful.

Re: MW2, I think it's interesting when games attempt moral dilemmas - surely that is part of what will be part of what differentiates them from being just another leisure activity? - but have to agree with Matt that these things will probably be lost on most gamers, or at least with MW2. I think these kinds of big decisions work better with games that are more obviously 'cerebral' like Deus Ex.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Got MW2 today, had a quick go of the campaign, then on to the multiplayer for about 4 hrs :confused:

If anyone's up for some shooty bang bang action on 360, my gamertag is GIRFUY.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Moral dilemmas in games are always terrible. 99% of the time you get a better reward for selecting the 'good' choice, so it's not moral at all, it's pragmatic. Or alternatively, the scope of the 'bad' choice is essentially limited to being a bit of prick or killing some completely irrelevant peasant / civilian / passerby. I understand that it's kind of tricky to create a compelling story if there's a good chance the player is going to say "fuck this", shoot the tutorial level instructor in the face and sack off all the missions.
Offhand I can't think of any examples of a game really making your life hard for making the 'moral' choice.

The blind execution of whatever your futuristic HUD designates to be the current goal is something else that could be played with quite effectively I reckon. And by effectively I mean not Bioshock's halfbaked attempt.

I reckon you could make a great game round those kind of ideas, but it would be very meta, and probably not very fun. Though the assumption that a game has to be fun is bit of a problem in itself I guess.

paolo

Mechanical phantoms
This is probably a daft question, but do you need a landline to play the 360 online? I've not got one in my flat but I do have mobile broadband

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Got MW2 today, had a quick go of the campaign, then on to the multiplayer for about 4 hrs :confused:

I got this too. Straight on to multiplayer (ignoring the instruction to play campaign first- stick THAT Infinity Ward). Enjoyable, obviously, but really busy.

Tactics seem to be a bit out of the window at the moment as people learn the maps.

Tonnes of perks etc are a bit bewildering.

Some people are getting an insane number of kills (some bloke went 39-4 or similar in about 3 minutes) due to the new killstreak system.

Can't wait to learn the maps and get into hardcore for the sneaking. Or for the noobs to get online so I can improve my kill/death ratio :)

I am so sad.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I understand that it's kind of tricky to create a compelling story if there's a good chance the player is going to say "fuck this", shoot the tutorial level instructor in the face and sack off all the missions..

I shot a chicken for the hell of it last night. I've changed.

Pestario

tell your friends
The blind execution of whatever your futuristic HUD designates to be the current goal is something else that could be played with quite effectively I reckon. And by effectively I mean not Bioshock's halfbaked attempt.

This unquestioning blind execution of mission goals is a subtle theme in Shadow of the Colossus. The whole game is centred on slaying these massive god-like creatures but in many cases they appear quite peaceful and harmless and you start to wonder whether you should be killing them at all.

hint

party record with a siren
I shot a chicken for the hell of it last night. I've changed.

I know that feeling. Poor chicken.

Bit annoying that you have to unlock Hardcore and some of the more interesting game modes. I also agree about the bewildering array of perks. Loads of symbols floating up on the screen all the time.

My gamertag is: On The Buttons

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Because the MW2 servers were down for PS3 yesterday, I had to play single player.

Beyond the pretty graphics, I thought it was pretty rubbish- duck shoot style gunplay, incomprehensible story written by neo-con nut jobs, THAT level unjustifiable and actually quite disturbing.

I doubt I'll finish it if multiplayer's back on

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Some more thoughts on MW2:

I'm a couple of hours in to the singleplayer, and already it's a total mess. The gunplay has been fun enough, but pales in comparison to the likes of Halo. Instead of presenting you with true tactical challenges and enemies that act in different ways, the game instead chooses to throw enemy after enemy at you, and lots of suppressing fire to boot. This is particularly problematic on the Favela level, and playing on Hardened I doubt it'd be possible to get through the level in one life. IW's solution to this is to give the gsame checkpoints every 20 metres or so, which means you progress in these baby steps with so many restarts that it just becomes tedious rather than fun. Not much different to PC FPS a few years ago when you'd feel the need to quick save every two seconds. Still, when it's good it's good and is overall a fun, if frustrating experience (so far). They also borked the story, big time.

Multiplayer is the tits as expected, can't beat having a shotgun as a second weapon. Sucks that hardcore isn't available from the off, but that's me finally unlocked it :)

Will add you to the list today Hint.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
A week into MW2 and loving it :)

2 player special ops is wicked, especially the helicopter missions- one player raining down hell, whilst the other scampers about down below.

I've unlocked the good missile launcher thing (stinger?)- helicopters and harriers are feeling my wrath (such a good addition), although I tend to run out of bullets in my primary gun and have to wildly run around trying to find a dead body to nick a weapon from.

Me and my mate played a private game with snipers only on the big maps last night, which had me giggling. might have to get a headset for future sessions.

Top gaming fun.

Pestario

tell your friends
GTA: Chinatown Wars is great. It really has the GTA feel of the console games (free roaming gameplay, lots of diversions). It's surprising how much content is packed into the cart.

As I said upthread I'm crazy about Rhythm Paradise which is a joyous, addictive rhythm game. If you're musically inclined I think you'll enjoy it but if you're rhythmically challenged it will prove very frustrating.

If you like adventure games I'd recommend Hotel Dusk. It's more like an interactive story with a few puzzley bits. It's a bit old now and hard to get.

I second chinatown wars, but have to admit I was very dissapointed with Hotel Dusk. The scriptwriting was pretty poor, either it was aimed at teenagers or nuances were lost in translation. Wario ware touched is very good if you try to beat high scores, but if you just try to complete it you will have it finished in a day. The gameboy advance Wario Ware is also pretty good, though more of the same. Meteos is a great puzzle game that is good if you can pick it up cheap. Most puzzlers are shit compared to Tetris and are too complicated to fathom, but Meteos works well especially with the touch screen.

massrock

I've hardly played anything on the DS so far so it's all new to me. I've been using it for the Korg DS-10 thing which is fun and makes some surprisingly good sounds.

It's weird, I'm not really into first person shooters on 'big' screens these days but I'm kind of intrigued by the idea on a DS, like the novelty of a little window into a big 3D world or something. I might give Metroid Prime Hunters a go if that's the one.

BareBones

wheezy
he was pretty fucking awesome on cm97/98 though. kannedy bakircioglu never did reach his potential though.

somehow everton sold him for £4m as well!!

my dad was an everton fan, i remember when they bought bakayoko i totally bigged him up on the basis of cm. my dad was pretty pissed off when the truth became clear. i've been feeling recently that i'd really like to get back into cm. it's called 'football manager' now, right? I haven't played it since i think the 2000/01 version, in which i spent a pretty grotesque amount of time taking chelmsford to the premiership title. i remember buying arjen robben as a 17 year-old from groningen or somwhere, and him consistently getting about 50 assists a season... and cherno samba, cor, what about him? is it a bad idea to get back into this game? it did seem to steal days, weeks at a time from me. and no other game has ever summoned such violent emotional reactions from me. I once accidentally kicked a hole in the side of my mum's sofa in a fit of rage at losing an fa cup semi to grimsby or someone.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Ordered Valve's Orange Box (Half-Life 2 plus Episodes 1 & 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal) for £notmuch. You may well be seeing less of me in the evenings from now on, for a while at least. :D