Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Ordered Valve's Orange Box (Half-Life 2 plus Episodes 1 & 2, Team Fortress 2 and Portal) for £notmuch. You may well be seeing less of me in the evenings from now on, for a while at least. :D

Got it for christmas and looking forward to playing it.

Been hammering Assassin's Creed 2, after geting to level 68 on MW2 and getting a little bored of it (at least unless playing with friends)- it's really good, sooo much better than the first, which was toss.

Anyway, what were people's games of the year 2009?

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
my dad was an everton fan, i remember when they bought bakayoko i totally bigged him up on the basis of cm. my dad was pretty pissed off when the truth became clear. i've been feeling recently that i'd really like to get back into cm. it's called 'football manager' now, right? I haven't played it since i think the 2000/01 version, in which i spent a pretty grotesque amount of time taking chelmsford to the premiership title. i remember buying arjen robben as a 17 year-old from groningen or somwhere, and him consistently getting about 50 assists a season... and cherno samba, cor, what about him? is it a bad idea to get back into this game? it did seem to steal days, weeks at a time from me. and no other game has ever summoned such violent emotional reactions from me. I once accidentally kicked a hole in the side of my mum's sofa in a fit of rage at losing an fa cup semi to grimsby or someone.

It is dangerous, but clearly you know the risks. I've retired several times only to do another season with the game I started at the end of my first year of uni. You do end up questioning what you are doing with your life though.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah i remember it used to tell you exactly how much time you'd spent on it, and a game that me and my mate had going at uni amounted to about three or four weeks of man hours. god, what lazy student pricks we were. i think that's when i realised it was time to stop.

don_quixote

Trent End
i've reached around 21 days on my current game (fm2009). i started it in may or june. i remember my first year at uni (in 2005 ffs!!) i was repping cm01/02 for whole days at a time once exams were over.

they now have a 3d engine, but the games are a lot slower. now it takes almost a whole weekend of solid playing to complete a season. not got the same stamina!!

very enjoyable and frustrating though

don_quixote

Trent End
also i've had this game for over a year and STILL haven't managed in the premiership. my highest finish is 4th in the championship

mrfaucet

The Ideas Train
My lowest point was when I had just started after finishing exams. One evening I was playing it and some friends came past my room and said they were going to the pub and did I want to come. I told them I'd just finish this match (Champions League) and then come and meet them. I never did. I kept playing and playing and then eventually realised that sunlight was coming through my window.

I just checked and I've spent just under 16 days on this game I've been doing on and off since June '07.

BareBones

wheezy
i'm a bit apprehensive about the 3d match engine. i used to love the text box. it was such a joyous feeling to go from the tense, heart-in-mouth ellipsis of "cole crosses from the left....", to "GOAL!!!!!"

Ness Rowlah

Norwegian Wood
The orange box is brilliant - portal is the one.
Yup, you can pick up Orange Box for next to nothing now at CEX (bought OB when it came out, since I was looking for Portal for PS3 anyway).
Portal is the one and this critique is a joy.

http://www.gamesradar.com/xbox360/f.../a-20071207115329881080/g-2006071916221774024

"Portal is essentially a feminist critique of the FPS genre, flawlessly executed from within the margins it assails. Gender politics just got a whole lot more fun."​

Now waiting for Heavy Rain, even if I still haven't really started on Uncharted 2.
http://uk.gamespot.com/ps3/adventure/heavyrain/news.html?sid=6242917&mode=previews

Last edited:

Karl Kraft

The orange box is brilliant - portal is the one.

Yes! Im surprised this didn't come up in the gaming threads here. For those not familiar with it, its like The Prisoner meets M.C.Escher as imagined by Chris Cunningham. Forget the campaign too, the challenges (least portals, least steps etc) are when you really have to get creative:

escherbig.jpg

massrock

Just completed this after about 3 days: http://www.boingboing.net/2010/01/13/get-this-flipping-ou.html

Absolutely cracking, get the demo at least. First time I've played a game to completion in years.

"Don't Look Back" is great as well.
Reminds me of Halls Of The Things.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Had to put off playing Portal, as I got Demon's Souls.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Crazy game- absolutely no hand holding, tough as nails, RPG elements I can hardly fathom, excellent audio design, clever multiplayer interaction.

It's like an old Spectrum dungeon crawler for the 21st century.

10 hours in, 4 per cent complete. Madness.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Speaking of RPGs, I started playing through the first Mass Effect so that I can import a character when i get round to playing the sequel (apparently you get a lot more out of it as the choices you made in the first game are reflected in the second when you do an import). A few RPG cliches aside, the story is actually pretty well done with lots and lots of background. It follows a similar pattern to Star Wars: Knights Of The Old Republic, so if you enjoyed that it's definitely worth picking up. Worth mentioning that the combat is vast improvement on past BioWare titles though, and it's meant to be even better in Mass Effect 2. And you can shag aliens.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Skate 3 out soon, demo is up- only worth getting for hardcore mode? You can't really tell from a demo...

This video is lush:

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

hint

party record with a siren
I enjoyed Skate 1, but skipped Skate 2. Think I'll go for 3, although I tried the demo in hardcore mode and kept falling over. Nice to have a challenge I guess.

I really didn't enjoy Skate 1 online - just full of people pulling off impossibly long combos. Wonder if 3 will be any better.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I enjoyed Skate 1, but skipped Skate 2. Think I'll go for 3, although I tried the demo in hardcore mode and kept falling over. Nice to have a challenge I guess.

I really didn't enjoy Skate 1 online - just full of people pulling off impossibly long combos. Wonder if 3 will be any better.

Hardcore is good because it means tony hawk 5 minute combos are out and it feels more like skating using style- that's why the video above is so refreshing.

But yeah it is difficult and frustrating, particularly with the 20 minute demo time limit (if not glitching).

Multiplayer, unless playing with friends is pretty terrible in Skate 2 on the whole

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
Somewhat ironically given the game you're talking about, I find it near impossible to get any real game playing done between the months of March & October because so much of my leisure time is spent skateboarding. The last game I played much of was Battlefield Bad Company 2, it's a very good multiplayer game if you can ignore some of the mind boggling lobby/squad mechanics