Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Somewhat ironically given the game you're talking about, I find it near impossible to get any real game playing done between the months of March & October because so much of my leisure time is spent skateboarding.

I have the knees and ankles of a 38 year old ex-skater, which prohibits such activities

So, I spend saturday morning doing this:

http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...tType=SKATE_REEL&filter=ALLTIME&itemId=117230

and this:

http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...tType=SKATE_REEL&filter=ALLTIME&itemId=117368

Enjoying it so far- lots of good spots, but not different form 1 or 2 in any meaningful way 'career' is meaningless.

Haven't been online yet though.

Last edited:

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I have the knees and ankles of a 38 year old ex-skater, which prohibits such activities

So, I spend saturday morning doing this:

http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...tType=SKATE_REEL&filter=ALLTIME&itemId=117230

and this:

http://skate.ea.com/gallery?content...tType=SKATE_REEL&filter=ALLTIME&itemId=117368

Enjoying it so far- lots of good spots, but not different form 1 or 2 in any meaningful way 'career' is meaningless.

Haven't been online yet though.

Nice :cool:

Picked up that Red Dead Redemption today, seems to have been getting some very good reviews which is expected given it's pretty much GTA on a horse in the wild west. Will report back once it's in full swing.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
If u have a capable PC or Mac, Portal is now free to download from Steam until the 24th of May:
http://store.steampowered.com/freeportal/

That's pretty cool - I DL'd it a few months back for £12 (along with a bunch of other stuff, I think the original HL games were in there too) but I've not played it much...it's just not the same without things to shoot. Maybe it's just one that takes a while to get into, though.

4linehaiku

Repetitive
Just finished Mirror's Edge. First person parkour game I suppose, lots of leaping around on rooftops with occasional shooting. Mostly you just run like hell when gun-toting police turn up though, which is quite refreshing. A bit Portal-esque, trying to figure out how the hell to get to point B from point A.

I think it was slated as repetitive and a bit boring, as well as a non-existant plot. The plot is undeniably pathetic, but I thought it was quite fun. It looks amazing as well, really good use of colour, lots of very clean white and blue. Very stylised, but not cartoony. I actually stopped running around just to look at all the cool shit quite a few times, which is rare.

rivetrenuck

i absolutly loved Mirrorsedge. Its such a chilled out game, the entire design seem to suggest that. as you said, simple clean, bright coloured, very simple music but good. very little violence, and some tricky jumping skills.

After reading this thread, how do i regret not getting a PS3 or an Xbox console when i had the dosh. boy do i want a console so badly now. tired of pc gaming.

I also loved Dead Space and i am currently plaing Far Cry 2, which is interesting enough, it looks almost like Afrika (the game mentioned in the first thread) though i havent played Afrika yet, so it may not be.

Gonna re installl Fallout 3, I will admit that i got thru that game with cheats. Need to stop that habit!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
I also loved Dead Space and i am currently plaing Far Cry 2, which is interesting enough, it looks almost like Afrika (the game mentioned in the first thread) though i havent played Afrika yet, so it may not be.

Far Cry 2= crawling through grass waiting ages to shoot stuff with guns
Afrika= crawling through grass waiting ages to shoot stuff with camera

Traded some games in and got Red Dead Redemption and had about an hour on it last night (I had to go outside and stuff over the weekend AND celebrate my wife's birthday, which kept me from playing it. People are so unreasonable).

Anyway, initial thoughts are- pretty good, although I have mainly wandered round collecting plants and shooting at birds, all peaceful like. Then suddenly a man appears being chased by a load of wolf things and screaming wildly.

BareBones

wheezy
i loved Far Cry 2, thought it was so much fun trying to stealth through all the fields and/or just riding your jeep into buildings and blowing shit up, and starting those big fires. Though it was kind of annoying when your car broke down in the middle of nowhere and you had to traipse about for miles trying to get back to civilisation.

We just got Skate 3, so far it's predictably great, just like the last ones, but unless we're being totally dumb there doesn't seem to be any party play mode, which is completely stupid and disappointing, because that's pretty much all we did on Skate 2.

The latest Splinter Cell is rubbish, which is a shame cos i loved Double Agent. One enormous design flaw/oversight in this new one is that when you are hidden in shadows, the whole screen goes black and white, and given that you're pretty much meant to stay hidden the whole time, you end up playing the entire game in black and white. Stupid.

Really excited about Red Dead though, gonna be picking that up this weekend i think.

cobretti

Have played 5 hours or so of Red Dead, but I've not played through many of the story missions, hunting bounties and going on errands for random townsfolk is just too fun! A lot more likable than GTA IV for me already though, I found Niko to be quite an abrasive character, and despite his intentions to get out of the cycle of violence and crime, you just ended up perpetuating it, and going around doing things no moral man would do. Red Dead has the same vibe wrt continuing the violence you've tried to turn your back on, but it feels more noble and justified, like even though you're shooting people in the leg and hogtying them, you're still doing the right thing in the grand scheme of things. Not surprising though, I've always chosen the right/light/kind path in RPGs like Fallout, Mass Effect etc, I could never get down with the whole bastard thing.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Have played 5 hours or so of Red Dead, but I've not played through many of the story missions, hunting bounties and going on errands for random townsfolk is just too fun!

Likewise. I think I've done 8 missions in about 6 hours (got the lasso and then couldn't be arsed with long cutscenes), still just wandering around the wilderness doing the flower picking/animal skinning/random sub quests.

Can be a very busy wilderness at times- last night I passed a camp, so had a quick sit down to listen to the old man witter on. Stood up and nearly stepped on a woman mourning her dead husband. Got on my horse and immediately encountered someone getting robbed. Was about to help, when 3 deer crossed my path, so I had to go after them instead.

Funniest bit so far: Some fat bloke sprinting towards me screaming for help. I stop and look around and can't see a thing. Look back. Bloke still sprinting off into middle distance. Turn around again. Still nothing. Start to distrust fat men running around in the middle of nowhere and think about flower picking again. Suddenly two hyper speed cougars wizz past me at about 300 mph and rip poor fat bloke to pieces.
One cougar then gets stuck on a rock, so I kill and skin him.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Far Cry 2= crawling through grass waiting ages to shoot stuff with guns

Delta Force (ancient PC game from the mid-90s) was like this, except it was fucking great. Sneaking around slitting throats to avoid making a noise, bumping off goons with a silenced pistol or sniping with a huge rifle from half a mile a way. 'Camping' enshrined and raised to an art form. The last few missions were ridiculously hard, I remember - especially in 'realistic damage mode' or whatever it was called, which basically meant you were quite likely to die outright if you got shot once (um, like in real life). And if involved a lot of crawling-through-grass.

Ring any bells, anyone?

Last edited:

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Delta Force (ancient PC game from the mid-90s) was like this, except it was fucking great.

Some people love Far Cry 2, others think it is a broken mess.

I'm in the latter category.

Delta Force- eh? The 90s was a console decade, you dolt! ;)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Not for us early adopters! Or pathetic nerds, or whatever we were. Any case, you can keep your frenetic platform games, beat-em-ups and racers, there are certain kinds of games you cannot play without a mouse and keyboard. Mainly first-person shooters and RT strategy games, which have formed the mainstay of the PC games market for nearly 20 years (or at least did, last time I looked).

matt b

Indexing all opinion
Not for us early adopters! Or pathetic nerds, or whatever we were. Any case, you can keep your frenetic platform games, beat-em-ups and racers, there are certain kinds of games you cannot play without a mouse and keyboard. Mainly first-person shooters and RT strategy games, which have formed the mainstay of the PC games market for nearly 20 years (or at least did, last time I looked).

True. There's always been a gaping hole in my life where Kasparov Chess Pro 3.1 should be.

cobretti

Just completed Fable 2 the other day. Got given Fallout 3 but haven't started it yet. Just about completed Bioshock. Playing Grim Fandango at the moment.

Need to get Red Dead Redemption.

Fuck all that other shit and give Fallout your undivided attention for as long as you can. There's nothing quite like the feeling of immersion you get when you're knee deep in a 6 hour Fallout session.

rivetrenuck

Re

Yeah, i loved Fallout, Reinstalling now once i finish batman.

Also would like to get recomends on good Adventure games/Puzzle like and a good chess game.
Kasparov good? Chessmaster?

Cant play Red Dead on my computer, its struggling to cope with Batman!. ARGH! cant afford a new pc nor a PS3! Tempted to go up to ladbrokes and testin out dem dogs.