Rolling (though slowly, I'd imagine) Gaming Thread

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
After watching the South Park World of Warcraft episode again, I realized that for all the cultural phenomenon this game has been, I know jack shit about it. So I decided to download the free 10-day trial. Do not do this. The only "trial" that is occuring is the one where you try to stop playing after 10 days. It is high grade video game crack.

On the upside, once you've played it that South Park episode becomes about 5 times funnier. This might be the only tangible benefit.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
The Hut have the Mega Drive collection for Xbox 360 for just over a tenner delivered. There's some code on the homepage for an extra quid off a £10+ spend so you could get it for 9.94 or some other stupid price, there are a fuckload of classics on there:

* Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
* Alien Storm
* Altered Beast
* Beyond Oasis
* Bonanza Bros.
* Columns
* Comix Zone
* Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
* Dr. Robotnik's MBM
* Dynamite Headdy
* Ecco The Dolphin
* Ecco II: The Tides Of Time
* E-Swat
* Fatal Labyrinth
* Flicky
* Gain Ground
* Golden Axe I
* Golden Axe II
* Golden Axe III
* Kid Chameleon
* Phantasy Star II
* Phantasy Star III: Generations Of Doom
* Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium
* Ristar
* Shining In The Darkness
* Shining Force
* Shining Force 2
* Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master
* Sonic 3D Blast
* Sonic And Knuckles
* Sonic Spinball
* Sonic The Hedgehog
* Sonic The Hedgehog 2
* Sonic The Hedgehog 3
* Streets Of Rage
* Streets Of Rage 2
* Streets Of Rage 3
* Super Thunder Blade
* Vectorman
* Vectorman 2

BareBones

wheezy
got a copy of that for a tenner in game recently. lots of it is beyond shit now (eg golden axe) but it's kind of worth it just for the streets of rage music.

Woebot

super mario galaxy 2?

anyone apart from me been enjoying this?

it's not quite the classic piece of design its forebear was, but nevertheless great fun.

nintendo 4eva afaic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
* Altered Beast

Oh man, what a game! The Game Than Invented Power-Ups, IIRC. Loved it on the old Atari ST.

There were some real killer titles for the non-console 16-bit machines (ST, Amiga) - many fond memories of Turrican, the Gauntlet series, the Xenon games (actually, most of the Bitmap Brothers stable)...to say nothing of Lemmings. :D

bandshell

Grand High Witch
The Hut have the Mega Drive collection for Xbox 360 for just over a tenner delivered. There's some code on the homepage for an extra quid off a £10+ spend so you could get it for 9.94 or some other stupid price, there are a fuckload of classics on there:

* Alex Kidd In The Enchanted Castle
* Alien Storm
* Altered Beast
* Beyond Oasis
* Bonanza Bros.
* Columns
* Comix Zone
* Decap Attack starring Chuck D. Head
* Dr. Robotnik's MBM
* Dynamite Headdy
* Ecco The Dolphin
* Ecco II: The Tides Of Time
* E-Swat
* Fatal Labyrinth
* Flicky
* Gain Ground
* Golden Axe I
* Golden Axe II
* Golden Axe III
* Kid Chameleon
* Phantasy Star II
* Phantasy Star III: Generations Of Doom
* Phantasy Star IV: The End Of The Millennium
* Ristar
* Shining In The Darkness
* Shining Force
* Shining Force 2
* Shinobi III: Return Of The Ninja Master
* Sonic 3D Blast
* Sonic And Knuckles
* Sonic Spinball
* Sonic The Hedgehog
* Sonic The Hedgehog 2
* Sonic The Hedgehog 3
* Streets Of Rage
* Streets Of Rage 2
* Streets Of Rage 3
* Super Thunder Blade
* Vectorman
* Vectorman 2

No Gunstar Heroes? Pfffftt

BareBones

wheezy
Oh man, what a game! The Game Than Invented Power-Ups, IIRC. Loved it on the old Atari ST.

When was the last time you played this Tea? like so many other 80s/90s games, it really hasn't stood the test of time, and is unfathomably shit now. Not sure if it is the game that invented power-ups, if it is that's a great call!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
When was the last time you played this Tea? like so many other 80s/90s games, it really hasn't stood the test of time, and is unfathomably shit now. Not sure if it is the game that invented power-ups, if it is that's a great call!

Well it was a whiiile ago...the better part of twenty years, anyway. But I can guarantee I could sit down to play Gauntlet II and it would be as great as it was when I was 12.

BareBones

wheezy
it's only really the very simple / nintendo style games that hold up, like tetris, bomberman, streetfighter etc... in fact it's just occured to me that it's only really 2-player head-to-head games

edit: no this isn't true, as tetris is still great on one player.

Last edited:

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
it's only really the very simple / nintendo style games that hold up, like tetris, bomberman, streetfighter etc... in fact it's just occured to me that it's only really 2-player head-to-head games

edit: no this isn't true, as tetris is still great on one player.

There are loads of old video games that are great without being mostly 2-player. For instance, all the Mario's and Sonic's. Or a lot of the 16-bit RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Trigger, etc.

BareBones

wheezy
yeah i know i edited it... i don't know what i was thinking. good platform games and rpgs will always be good but pretty much every scrolling beat 'em up from back in the day is proper shit now.

mixed_biscuits

The default settings permit the computer to help you aim passes and shots. If you turn off all this help, you are rewarded with a month of complete incompetence, during which you painfully begin to 'remaster' the simplest of movements. After this, however, it's all gravy: you can put the ball wherever you want.