When did dubstep lose the plot?

when did dubstep lose the plot?

• Total voters

alex

Do not read this.
^I have, not from the ones that did make me go wow in 05 though..

you're really not looking hard enough sam :p

Paul Hotflush

techno head
what producers you referring to? because I haven't heard anything that has made me go "Wow" in at least a year or two

Other than the guys we have released who obviously I like, I would particularly note the following:

Ramadanman
Kontext
Joker
Shortstuff
Anstam
Instra:mental
Kode 9 (still)
Mala (still)

I'm sure those are all very familiar to everyone on here, but they're all making original and exciting music. There's more good stuff around now than in 2005, and obviously a hell of a lot more bad stuff but you just have to ignore that.

viktorvaughn

^I agree that there is loads of wicked stuff but the really good stuff now isn't quite as good as the really good stuff back then imo...

Diss04

threads get mangled
oh good you were gonna mention "teh wobblez" producers

the ones in your list are all big and are changing the genre for the better, moving away from the original sound. which is a good thing...

i'm rambling - i know what i mean and when i can think of a way to articulate that, i will

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
^I agree that there is loads of wicked stuff but the really good stuff now isn't quite as good as the really good stuff back then imo...
Are you sure that's not just a honeymoon period / losing the mystery thing? When I first heard tracks like Mud and Qawwali and Request Line and System (I'm dating myself here, aren't I?) they were like something being transmitted from another planet - mysterious, hermetically sealed packets of weird goodness. Whereas when I hear new stuff, some of it's great but it's no longer unprecedented - I can kind of see it coming from older dubstep, funky, wonky or whatever, I can locate it in the culture, I might know a bit about the producer and the label. It's not 'objectively' less good but it doesn't hint at massive undiscovered possibilities in the same way.

alex

Do not read this.
kontext is a BADMAN, check his release on Immerse, it will definately leave you reeeling...

havent heard much from Anstam, but heard 1 track & it was sick, GET TO KNOW! :cool:

viktorvaughn

Are you sure that's not just a honeymoon period / losing the mystery thing? When I first heard tracks like Mud and Qawwali and Request Line and System (I'm dating myself here, aren't I?) they were like something being transmitted from another planet - mysterious, hermetically sealed packets of weird goodness. Whereas when I hear new stuff, some of it's great but it's no longer unprecedented - I can kind of see it coming from older dubstep, funky, wonky or whatever, I can locate it in the culture, I might know a bit about the producer and the label. It's not 'objectively' less good but it doesn't hint at massive undiscovered possibilities in the same way.

Yes I think you are probably right in part at least. I remember the first few nights I went to clearly, Loefah b2b Skream in Bristol, Mala in Bristol, FWD on a Thursday when I didn't live in London, DMZ is was all so essential. Like nearly every tune was what-the-fuck?? I went on two all night solo missions from Sheffield to Leeds to go to nights at the West Indian Centre that's how much it moved me! 6 hours sober on my own just checking out the music and then first train back home...

So yeah probably...

Lethem

Interloper out 1st of Oct
Yes I think you are probably right in part at least. I remember the first few nights I went to clearly, Loefah b2b Skream in Bristol, Mala in Bristol, FWD on a Thursday when I didn't live in London, DMZ is was all so essential. Like nearly every tune was what-the-fuck?? I went on two all night solo missions from Sheffield to Leeds to go to nights at the West Indian Centre that's how much it moved me! 6 hours sober on my own just checking out the music and then first train back home...

So yeah probably...

I agree to! Not much new Dubstep has moved me

boomnoise

♫
Oh man i have so many contenders for that accolade based on the stuff i get sent.

My favourite and our right worst one has to be a guy who calls himself Duffstep.

Why would you mug yourself like that?