Industrial Music

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Otherwise Eden's list is pretty concise, though I'd also include the first two Monte Cazazza 7"s and the first Ramleh 7", with a bit of Foetus on the side.

Yup, all of Foetus' stuff is essential I think if you're doing an Industrial retrospective. And I'd throw in early SWANS in there as well, although John's list is accurate in its purity.

john eden

male pale and stale
I'm afraid STN is trying to wind me up a little.

there are vast swathes of the post-industrial/neofolk scene which are outright fascist.

Wakeford (who has appeared on records with Current 93 mainman Tibet) is an ex member of the National Front.

Throbbing Gristle and people like Laibach were interested in exploring the totalitarian mindset and aesthetic, but that inspired some people to go the whole hog...

john eden

male pale and stale
Yup, all of Foetus' stuff is essential I think if you're doing an Industrial retrospective. And I'd throw in early SWANS in there as well, although John's list is accurate in its purity.

yeah!

Nail & Hole by Foetus
SWANS stuff with the dollar on the front.

wicked.

martin

----
I'm just going to suggest this to the curious - some of the best 'old skool' industrial things I've ever heard are TG's 77 / 78 performances at Rat Club and Goldsmiths, which are on Live Vol. 2 on Mute. You can save yourself a hell of a lot of time and money on inferior product by picking this CD up. If you're looking for that dark / nuclear powerplant / horror movie / dominating sound...just a tip,like

"Drowning in A Sea of Bliss" by Nocturnal Emissions is pretty frigging awesome too.

STN

sou'wester
I'm more interested in the aesthetics of trying to wind you up...

I always wonder about Laibach, I tried to get into their stuff when I was younger but it just sounded boring and a bit painful but broadly I approve of them. Otherwise this stuff isn't for me, bar Cabaret Voltaire (and even then, only recently), one Skinny Puppy demo and Einsturzende Neubauten (who I really rate).

mms

sometimes
Oh don't worry, I'm no guru or anything. Plenty of industrial types will tell you I'm wrong and that C93 are great, but to me they're just campfire music with a girl's blouse singing.

True.

Nurse with wound are a band that are always associated with industrial, althought they're not really are they, not like all the others here. I'm always suprised how much i enjoy the stuff by them i occasionally hear.
industrial types blergh.

this nurse with wound track sounds exactly like black dice

Last edited:

martin

----
industrial types blergh

Yeah, you'd go to power electronics gigs expecting these completely insane individuals starting a riot, but just get some bald bloke in black shouting, 'YOU'LL die, CUNT!' to 10 people with perma-sneers sitting around on plastic chairs. Then some woman would have a go at you for sitting in front of her CD stall.

mistersloane

I'm just going to suggest this to the curious - some of the best 'old skool' industrial things I've ever heard are TG's 77 / 78 performances at Rat Club and Goldsmiths, which are on Live Vol. 2 on Mute. You can save yourself a hell of a lot of time and money on inferior product by picking this CD up. If you're looking for that dark / nuclear powerplant / horror movie / dominating sound...just a tip,like

"Drowning in A Sea of Bliss" by Nocturnal Emissions is pretty frigging awesome too.

Second these two, they're both great.

Controlled Bleeding did some good stuff as well. No idea what albums though.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Mistersloane, you're always banging on about Foetus (= I've seen you mention the name a couple of times :)) and I keep meaning to check out some of his/their stuff, and I like what I've heard from snippets here and there...but old JGT seems to be pretty prolific, so what would be a couple of records to get first? Cheers.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've got one of his albums which is pretty good. Can't remember what it is but I'll dig out next time you're around if you remind.

mistersloane

Mistersloane, you're always banging on about Foetus (= I've seen you mention the name a couple of times :)) and I keep meaning to check out some of his/their stuff, and I like what I've heard from snippets here and there...but old JGT seems to be pretty prolific, so what would be a couple of records to get first? Cheers.

Like John says, start off with Nail and then Hole if you're looking for avant-industrial. Nail is a great album.

You may like other albums and singles as well or even more - given yr Front 242 etc likes - his Wiseblood stuff is kinda more like Revolting Cocks, the Foetus All Nude Revue single 'Bedrock' is a great piece of big band stripper rock, and the album 'Thaw' which is more straight up industrial rock - although he's never that straighforward.

Then skip a few years and go to his later work like Gash, Null, Boil...to be honest I don't think he's done much wrong really. Every time I'm round my mate's house and they're playing something and I'm like 'Who's this? This is good' the answer is always Foetus. Frightening, really.

I think he's a good reason for downloading stuff just to check what bits you like to buy, recently he's totally banging the stuff out.

STN

sou'wester
Then skip a few years and go to his later work like Gash, Null, Boil...to be honest I don't think he's done much wrong really.

Stinkfist, and that silly NY concept album with Lydia Lunch. Both dire.

Edit: who's trip-trapping on my bridge? I'm being needlessly snitty in this thread, sorry, will stop.

polystyle

Bang -John's list is a good one.

TG
SPK (early SPK)
ENB
Zev

There are some Californian's on the list as well ( Boyd Rice /NON, Monte C ? )

I would go so far as to say 'Industrial' ran some parallel to post punk as well ...

'Industrial' has probably been discussed previously on Dissensus, there should be a greatest hits of genre discussions for this place.

The 'power electronics' thing was often some unattractive, weak and tired *hit, having stayed at a couple shows too many back in the day.

The genres crossed alot of course.
Early Swans -yes I can see that.
Jim Foetus -if one includes Swans , then Jim's in too and he was in earlier.

Having lived with, and seen in early action -SPK and ENB were hardcore and powerful in their day , SPK was overwelming live -dangerous to be to close to that circular saw Graeme swung.
ENB as well, have seen them set fire to stage, use a tire jack to keep a roll down stage 'front' up so the burning could continue, etc.

The weak stuff ( often marketed as edgy' ) blows tho' ...

Cinnamon Carter

Wild Horses
I strongly recommend the Impersonator (81) and Impersonator II (88) albums by Carlos Perón. Very powerful warped sample collages on the first, the latter is more synthy and EBM-influenced. Both are highly undervalued.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

polystyle

So Industrial what's it all about ? I dont know anything about it at all so Ill chime in when I can.

Spreading outwards from a large JG Ballard influence, Throbbing Gristle industrial and SPK''s early medical horror industrial were prime examples.
The Berlin ENB metal percussion, drills and other construction equip. musik were another seminal outburst of 'Industrial'.
In SF, the Research magazine circle ( Mark Pauline, Matt Heckert, Survival Research magazine, Monte C , Boyd Rice and others ) held their line of flame throwing, noise performance and machine making.
Cab Volts, Controlled Bleeding ( yes ! ), Nocturnal Emissions, Coil crew - lots of artists came minutes, years earlier and later but there was a core group that brought it up during the '70's into the '80's.
And so many threads of industrial ! Severed Heads , Skinny Puppy ,
and in Tokyo director Sogo Ishii did some great stuff with ENB in his film with them , Halber Mensch.

Big up Jim Thirwell , the Foetus machine. He's got the rerelease of early pieces out now and does score for the Venture Brothers on Cartoon network.

polystyle

Daniel Miller's Mute Records, Rough Trade and Stevo's Some Bizzare were instrumental in signing and distributing a good deal of the industrial wave groups ...
At some points Mute seemed to have all the good stuff .
Daniel Miller's Normal had that moment with Warm Leatherette and TV OD.

Wm Burroughs, Sci Fi, Dystopian subjects

Some strains of industrial seemed to be following on from things Bowie used to record about ( 'Five Years' from Ziggy, Diamond Dogs 'Future Legend', etc. ) a few years earlier, some of the same things influenced punk, post punk, early electro ...

Blixa and ENB brought a whole 'nother thing with their 'Industrial';
Blixa's bleak hard primative , elemental physical vibe and lyric and the group's stated desire to 'destroy new buildings' were original German folk body musik , loud, deep and sometimes spiritual.
And then when that Berlin Stadium did collapse ...

Around ENB in W Berlin , neighbors down the street , were Christlo and Beate from Liasions Dangeruses ( Christlo from an original DAF lineup , later of Crime And The City Solution ) doing their Oberheim based electro beat musik, later linked with EMB,
another thread and variant of industrial as Tea noted earlier.

By 1988 an SRL- related 'industrial outback of New Jersey' scenario figures as part of William Gibson's Mona Lisa Overdrive and industrial influences continued to spread into other generations , cultures didn't it ...