Hip Hop 09?

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
this is what Nas thinks of Hip Hop '09...

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

Aww Nein

Wild Palms
not sure if this deserves its own thread, but can anyone suggest any Three 6 Mafia stuff to look into (however old)? or anything that seems seminal / the beginning of this really minimal southern rap sound (cash money records perhaps?) or crunk... i know DJ Screw but maybe thats different, i mean the sorta drum machine blips, whistles and drawled raps.....

thanks....

franz

not sure if this deserves its own thread, but can anyone suggest any Three 6 Mafia stuff to look into (however old)? or anything that seems seminal / the beginning of this really minimal southern rap sound (cash money records perhaps?) or crunk... i know DJ Screw but maybe thats different, i mean the sorta drum machine blips, whistles and drawled raps.....

thanks....

random older fave three six songs:

Who Got Dem 9s
Sippin' on some Syrup (obviously... maybe still their best?)
Ghetto Chick
I'm So Hi
Tongue Ring
Rainbow Colors
Ridin' Spinners

honestly, they are amazing for at least a few different reasons. just grab whatever.

petergunn

plywood violin

thanks....

this thread throws alot out there...

http://dissensus.com/showthread.php?t=3645&

Underground Vol 1 is the shit...

i posted some stuff up thread on this, but i have to say some recent Juicy J stuff STILL has that sound...

CrowleyHead

Juvenile's "Ha!" is still, like, THAT song. You just gotta remember to twitch and look around randomly during each clap, like shots popped off.

Aside from that, if it's not already said, Master P's "Bout It", every version, even the Cam'ron one. Classics. As well as the movie "I'm 'Bout It". Quotables for days in that one.

"Yeah, what you know about this red dot!?"
"You think this charity? You think it's TOYS FOR TOTS!?"
"Spell Million Nigga!""Million. M. I. Illlion!"
"*to a dude in a wheelchair* You don't miss a step, do you?"

robin

i love in bout it bout it when he boasts that he "can't even pronounce his shoes"

in terms of old school southern stuff, i love ocean of funk by esg,one of the most good natured rap records i've ever heard

CrowleyHead

I also forgot. Classic record from a few years back "Swang" by Trae. I got the regular and a chopped and screwed version, and both were in heavy rotation for me about 3 years ago.

franz

yea Swang is great, shame he had to replace the MJ sample for the album version he put out... i know the original track from Rapid Ric's Getcha Weight Up 2K5, which is a mixtape i return to pretty often. many classics from Killer Mike, Mannie Fresh, Magno, an' so on.

urbanite

subnoto
this is what Nas thinks of Hip Hop '09...

lovely how he still thinks that he's the saviour of hip-hop...

regarding the hyphy stuff...

that minimal beat with prodigy and keak da sneak over it, sounds very familiar, but I can't remember where from... it definitely didn't have prodigy on it when I heard it first though... very nice though I like how Prodigy sounds on it...

The recentish E-40 album was a bit of a let down after the My Ghetto Report Card album... really loved the beats by Rick Rock and Lil Jon on that... proper minimal, just kicks, snares all booming and a couple of grunts or noises to link it all together, but those beats somehow pack so much groove into them it's amazing...

Seriously though, that DJ Quik/Kurupt "Blakqout" album is the best thing I've heard all year. Amazing stuff.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
this song is totally sick, got that OLD triple 6 vibe.......

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

this is amazing. I'm sure the exaggerated intonation of the lines in the coda of the song are a direct reference to a 3-6/Triple Six song (can't remember which one)

Edit: actually, a Project Pat song, now I recall.

Last edited: