Hip Hop 09?

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
So far this year (according to the title of the thread) it's Juicy J and the Blaqkout album? That plus the Mos def/DOOM posts make me worry. Getting nightmares of rap going the way of rock - already established artists playing to older and older hypercritical fans (looking at you mister 25+ with a job).

While not as bad as when 90s backpackers thought they were 'keeping it real' by only playing 5 'underground' acts plus their canon (limited press, vinyl only), hiphop is still pretty disheartening as a genre.

petergunn

plywood violin
So far this year (according to the title of the thread) it's Juicy J and the Blaqkout album? That plus the Mos def/DOOM posts make me worry. Getting nightmares of rap going the way of rock - already established artists playing to older and older hypercritical fans (looking at you mister 25+ with a job).

While not as bad as when 90s backpackers thought they were 'keeping it real' by only playing 5 'underground' acts plus their canon (limited press, vinyl only), hiphop is still pretty disheartening as a genre.

i just said this in the 90-94 thread, but the new Raekwon (cuban linx 2) is the best Wu record since supreme clientele... it really is pretty fucking great... sadly the single, catalina, may actually be the weakest track on the record...

also, new Jadakiss looks good... only guy on earth who could put out an LP w/ a Ghostface n Rae collab and an OJ Da Juiceman guest spot!

ps max b lovers, kiss yr boy goodbye, going away for a LONG time..

CrowleyHead

And now that Max B's gone, Jim Jones is no longer hilariously brilliant, and Juelz Santana's fallen apart. Way to go Dipset...

The only reward of Cam's return was he did a joint with Mase...

It's a terrible shame Max got sent down. Just waiting on Coke Wave 2 to drop, the last of the wave I guess.

gumdrops

most of the hip hop i like IS made by old timers. theres some new guys here and there, or singles rather, here and there, that i like but for the most part its only older guys who i really kind of 'believe' in or respect/love the most. need to hear that juicy j - hope its as good as people are saying.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
i just said this in the 90-94 thread, but the new Raekwon (cuban linx 2) is the best Wu record since supreme clientele... it really is pretty fucking great...

Yeah it's really, really good, actually a worthy follow up which was a hard act to follow, given that Linx is for me close to one of the greatest albums ever made. The beats are really great, he did well to wait.

CrowleyHead

He also could've, you know, hired somebody to mix that damn album.

I like though how Ghost returned to his old rushing style for the album. It was the closest thing to really recapturing the original.

petergunn

plywood violin
I like though how Ghost returned to his old rushing style for the album. It was the closest thing to really recapturing the original.

[Ghostface Killah]
Yo, but on the other side of town it's Toney, laid up
This white chick wanna gargle my nuts
I put the Bailey's down, tap the blunt out, grabbed her by her hair
Watch blondie love whip my dick out
Spit dripping down my balls, she slobbing me
That's right, suck that dick, get it hard for me
Pyrex in one hand, large amount of grams and it rocked up
And she pregnant, my little man got her knocked up
He popped up (oh shit), I'm like a crooked cop
Richard Gere, big smirk on, getting my cock sucked
He pulled the joint out, a bullet spun out, but it was too late
Already nutted on the side of her mouth
Side of her face, and hair like Something About Mary
I can't front, my son gun look scary, chill
She's a whore, you knew it from the time we ran trains on her
And you still went and fucked her raw
Come on, son, give me the gun, you gon' kill me over this
Bum ass bitch, you can't resist
Remember Vel had her in the telly, taking the fist
Watch how you aiming that shit, you should be aiming at Trish
She take a bone like a rib-eye steak, your loose Christ'
Yo, be easy on the trigger, son, you squeezing the fifth
I only did it just to show you, she's the easiest bitch
He came close, had to duff him, nigga, give me that shit

[Chorus]

[Outro: Ghostface Killah]
Fuck a gun, muthafucka, I dare
Pull a fucking gun on me again, nigga
I blow your little balls off
Go to store and get me a fucking forty
Before I smack the shit out you, man
Word up, while you at it, yo
Go in the freezer, get a steak, man
For your eye, nigga, word up
Put some bologna on your face or something, nigga
Make sure my forty cold too, when you bring it back
When you get back, bag the shit up, nigga
Word up, I don't give a fuck if you 25, nigga
You my son, nigga, word up, that's why I let you slide, nigga
Word, get you a forty too, and a pacifier, nigga
And a bib and a diaper...

stephenk

meh...i get that if you're a nostalgic wu tang fan this one appeals because it's drawn along the typical wu tang lines (i see your point) and personally i feel pretty burnt out on wu tang so it took me awhile to even listen to it...but i don't think it's a bad album. i think it would be more disappointing if raekwon hadn't gone for wu-nostalgia.

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
<object width="448" height="374"><param name="movie" value="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/tA2puFctXiImKGtR"></param><param name="allowFullscreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowNetworking" value="all"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://videos.onsmash.com/e/tA2puFctXiImKGtR" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullscreen="true" allowNetworking="all" allowScriptAccess="always" width="448" height="374"></embed></object>

The editing/camera work is great on this. The tilting makes me feel sick in a good way.

evanbbb

Tumbling Dice
But this is a disappointment

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value=""></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

CrowleyHead

ugh that's horrible. I don't understand people being critical of Raekwon's effort when big dogs come out with utter egopewk like this.

'cause I never expected The Clipse & Rick Rubin to be a good fit, so I have no room for dissappointment.

Pharell has vision, and it benefited Jay, it gave Dirty his best album. Why The Clipse suddenly decided to fuck with the formula is beyond me.

Raekwon has no vision, because Raekwon is not an MC. He's barely a rapper. And I refuse to acknowledge him as a 'lyrical great'. Rza gave him a masterpiece, anyone would sound good. And on every tune with his 'cronies', Ghost and Cap outshine him easily.

So, I'm not dissappointed in Rae either. I just fail to see whatever half the internet is getting hyped over. It's just not that good, I'm sorry. Oh yeah, it's laden with 'real grimy bangers'. Fuck off. I don't want 'bangers' with some sloppy, lame middle-aged waste of label effort, where even STYLES FUCKING P is outshining you.

petergunn

plywood violin
'cause I never expected The Clipse & Rick Rubin to be a good fit, so I have no room for dissappointment.

Pharell has vision, and it benefited Jay, it gave Dirty his best album. Why The Clipse suddenly decided to fuck with the formula is beyond me.

Raekwon has no vision, because Raekwon is not an MC. He's barely a rapper. And I refuse to acknowledge him as a 'lyrical great'. Rza gave him a masterpiece, anyone would sound good. And on every tune with his 'cronies', Ghost and Cap outshine him easily.

So, I'm not dissappointed in Rae either. I just fail to see whatever half the internet is getting hyped over. It's just not that good, I'm sorry. Oh yeah, it's laden with 'real grimy bangers'. Fuck off. I don't want 'bangers' with some sloppy, lame middle-aged waste of label effort, where even STYLES FUCKING P is outshining you.

if you don't even like the spitting on cuban linx 1, it's sorta hard to take yr opinion on the sequel seriously... whether you like it or not, it was the lyrics on that record that made people take notice... all that mafia/crack talk made that record legendary among other rappers... ask people like Nas or Fat Joe about that record...

personally, i am not a huge rae fan, but i think he still sounds great... to me, nowadays Ghost can be over the top, whereas Rae is off the wall and down to earth at the same time... he did a good job picking beats on this record as well... could have prolly chopped off 5 tracks, but whatever...

i admit, the internet hype on cuban links 2 is a bit much, but i am already hearing the record out of cars in my neighborhood...

luka

i think crowley been brainwashed by his dad or something./ rae got some amazing verses/
(stole this off the interent, didn't transcribe it myself so dont point at me if theres errors)
Stand on the block Reebok gun cocked
Avalance rock get paid off mass murderous services
Chef break em, watch the alley cats bake em
watch the alley cats bake em
Four-nine made em, Jah create em take em
quick fast we reflect like the sky be blue true
Wu-Tang saga continue
Grab Myer Lansky crashin fantasy
get high fellas, stand by, 'here's the plan, see?'
sit back collectin' Tecs N checks and
blowin slow in a Montaro flexin
Beats break heavily word to INS bless me
Blow me like three bags of cess
For real from the Killa Hill locked and caged in
We're swarm representatives, reactin like paid men
Strive for why's, nine lives in lies
Max sell and enjoy the highs -- what

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
meh...i get that if you're a nostalgic wu tang fan this one appeals because it's drawn along the typical wu tang lines (i see your point) and personally i feel pretty burnt out on wu tang so it took me awhile to even listen to it...but i don't think it's a bad album. i think it would be more disappointing if raekwon hadn't gone for wu-nostalgia.

Still, it would be a complete bump if it didn't go all Wu-nostalgic and return to the original Cuban Linx-y sound. I hate when artists cash in on previously successful releases by releasing sequels (looking at you, Jay Z), or successful monikers (looking at you, Gerald Donald) without providing any substantial reason for doing so.

Still to check out CL2 for the same burnt out reasons though.