television

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
I watch University Challenge...just so that I can feel smug when the Young Brains sit silently having been asked a question like 'Who wrote The Medium Is The Massage'? (that's paraphrased, of course)...and something about a comedian and The Establishment Club when the answer is obviously Peter Fuckin' Cook and they sit mute - heh-heh. Because it makes me feel better...even though I don't have their education or ability to work out complex mathematical equations or name a tiny country by its outline...or obscure flags...etc.

BB can go to hell! I'd watch Coast any day rather than that shite...:)...one glorifies nobodies...the other glorifies...the coast!

don_quixote

Trent End
coast don't glorify the coast as much as it glorifies it's presenters

bb last night was a triumph as well. it was pretty guff until the last 20 minutes (although it did it's own take on cringe tv but convincing a gullable idiot that he was meeting the queen) and then went stellar.

muser

yea its bollocks there was that show called "where we all came from" aswell on BBC which could have been pretty interesting but they just filled/spanned it out with pointless shit. There was one point (which used up about 15 mins of air time) where they did a film diary of the presenter camping out in the desert showing her occasoinally looking scared because she thought she heard a hyenea, absolutley nothing to do with the program at all it was ridiculous.

Sick Boy

All about pride and egos
Do you lot get Jon and Kate Plus 8 over there? It's a show about how the word 'reality' has lost all its meaning, Faustian pacts between regular people and television networks, and a harrowing glimpse of the future.

swears

preppy-kei
anyone seen Shane Smith's documentary "Vice Guide to North Korea"? it's fucking great

see it on www.vbs.tv

Yeah, I quite like Vice TV. That Soft Focus series with the eccentric interviewer (who used to be in a US hardcore band or something? I dunno) was pretty good even though I had no interest in the work of most of the guests. There's one episode with Will Oldham were he comes across as pretty mental, lots of awkward silences, haha.

nomadthethird

more issues than Time mag
Do you lot get Jon and Kate Plus 8 over there? It's a show about how the word 'reality' has lost all its meaning, Faustian pacts between regular people and television networks, and a harrowing glimpse of the future.

You don't know how many times I've tried to explain to my mother that the whole Jon/Kate "split" is a ratings-mongering PR charade and she just refuses to believe me. Old people are so gullible.

Not that I wouldn't do something like that for money, but would I involve my kids? Probably not...jesus I hope not...never say never...I suppose they all have trusts and college funds out of it.

Immryr

tv is all about the day time... the wright stuff, come dine with me, coach trip can be decent too.

i also like the gilmore girls, but what can you say about that really?

don_quixote

Trent End
ok, so as a maths teacher i'm fascinated to learn how derren brown is going to ruin all my lottery win 14,000,000 to 1 lessons.

swears

preppy-kei
ok, so as a maths teacher i'm fascinated to learn how derren brown is going to ruin all my lottery win 14,000,000 to 1 lessons.
It's gonna be some sort of smart-arsed cop out isn't it? I still like him, though.

CrowleyHead

I hope one day Derren Brown and David Blaine form some sort of tag-team.

I also hope one day, I'll see more comments about truly superior shows, like One Life To Live and All My Children, instead of Terror Danjah talking about Eastenders.

BareBones

wheezy
It was quite a cool show on about three or four years ago by Armando Ianucci. A "look back" from the perspective of the 2020s about TV from the 'past' 15 years, i.e. roughly 2005 to 2020. It was generally pretty funny, someone was talking about it on here the other day...Tesco becoming so all-powerful that it effectively achieves statehood and declares war on Denmark. And a game show called 'Rape An Ape' with a nice cheery theme tune.

think that was me talking about it, i loved time trumpet. that bit about the food that talks, teaching you how to cook while you're cooking it, and adam buxton said he had a jamie oliver one which malfunctioned and started saying things like "puker" and "lovely jubilee"

great tv - have any of you watched ninja warrior? kind of like takeshi's castle but with crazy/silly ninja skills.

Last edited:

massrock

It's gonna be some sort of smart-arsed cop out isn't it? I still like him, though.
Split screen.

Duplicate 'left side of the studio'.

Assistant puts the numbers on the 'real' balls as they are called. Left side of the screen shows 'duplicate' balls.

Video switches back when it's time to reveal.

'Camera wobble' effect obviously supposed to make it look more authentic.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I just saw something called Paris Hilton's New BFF ('Best Friend Forever', in case you were interested). It's like watching the end of the world. I think she may in fact be some kind of evil genius.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
think that was me talking about it, i loved time trumpet. that bit about the food that talks, teaching you how to cook while you're cooking it, and adam buxton said he had a jamie oliver one which malfunctioned and started saying things like "puker" and "lovely jubilee"

great tv - have any of you watched ninja warrior? kind of like takeshi's castle but with crazy/silly ninja skills.

And the bit with the guy who's just a foot... "People ask, is he *chuckle* is he good at football? Of course not, he's just a foot!".

Immryr

has anyone seen The Cube on ITV? someone told me the guardian described it as the most moronic program of all time, or words to that effect. obviously i had to watch it. it's fantastic!

matt b

Indexing all opinion
has anyone seen The Cube on ITV? someone told me the guardian described it as the most moronic program of all time, or words to that effect. obviously i had to watch it. it's fantastic!

The Cube is the only 'entertainment' programme that we make sure we watch every week (although Iplayer has made 'must watch' TV spectacles somewhat redundant).

It's post-Wii TV.

[The concept of catching becomes a source of riveting discussion].

Somehow, in only 3 or so weeks, it has summed up 21st century Britain beautifully.

Love it

muser

worse than that it was just a complete load of bollocks.

First he does some stupid adaption of a conjuring trick thats been going on for years (people smacking their hands down on paper bags when one has a knife in), except of course Darren is claiming that he somehow was able to predict the one they wouldn't hit. Then he tries to imply that the "majority effect" on accurate estimations in psychology is somehow to do with collective 'will power'. When its to do with an average of educated guesses. So the average of 20 peoples guess of the number of beans in a jar is always going to better than the individual. (I did that study in As psychology ffs).

And then uses this made up principal to draw the whole thing out for an hour. :rolleyes:

Channel 4 have clearly thrown some serious dollar at the man to get him to do such a load of balls.

Last edited:

don_quixote

Trent End
i missed it!! and now i found out he was spouting some stuff about deep maths and now ive bloody got to watch it cos all the kids will be asking about it on monday. bugger.

the cube is bloody brilliant. can't see anyone getting close to the big prize tho