Hangover Cures

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
ho ho

I always find myself getting really horny when I'm coming out of a hangover tho

Yeah, what's that all about? The Hangover Horn seems to be quite a well-known phenomenon...an ex of mine gets it sometimes, so it's not just a bloke thing. You wouldn't have thought there was anything particularly sexy about a hangover, would you?

And as horrid as hangovers are, I find there's an almost drug-like body-euphoria to be felt as you come out of the hangover - probably just your system rejoicing as it rids itself of toxins.

craner

Beast of Burden
There's a late afternoon moment when you start to get the giggles or behave recklessly, I also find. This usually leads to more booze, and then another hangover. And the cycle continues.

craner

Beast of Burden
This morning it was:

Black filter coffee x 2
Jarlsberg and sliced tomato on sesame rivita
2 pints of water

5 mile bike ride

black filter coffee
bacon, sausage & egg bap.

I find that a bit of strenuous exercise, constant food and drink intake and a spot of masturbation/a blowjob are the keys to beating a hangover.

That's pretty fucking serious. I'm not sure my body could cope with that cure.

craner

Beast of Burden
A good way to avoid hangovers is to simply drink extremely expensive red wine, all the time. I hope this helps.

lanugo

von Verfall erzittern
I don't think hangover horniness is primarily a physiological phenomenon. It's rather caused, I would guess, by the (sad) fact that very often getting drunk means embassaring yourself and/or failing to get laid. On the next day, when you're in a state of mental reduction and disillusionment, i.e. hungover, your sex drive naturally becomes fiercer than usual so that you just want to fuck (or wank) the pain away.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
Alka Seltza FTW
Yeah, that plus fruit juice plus food (generally pasta and pesto seems to be good these days) plus tea has generally been my weapon of choice. Even up to having a pre-emptive alka-selzer if you're still reasonably capable when you go to bed.

These days I've been starting to notice a sort of low-grade depression / generalized existential dread / feeling emotionally unprepared for the stresses of eg going out and getting a paper that lasts for a day or two after a big night out. Although that might just be because I've had some rubbish weekends lately or due to some sort of other factors. And exercise really helps there - I tend to head down to the Castle and climb a bit.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Toasted brown bread with lashings of butter and an offensively thick layer of Marmite has everything your abused body needs to pull itself together: carbs, protein, fibre, fat, salt and B-vitamins. Add a swig of fruit juice straight from the fridge and a cup of builder-strength tea and you're good to go.

mixed_biscuits

These days I've been starting to notice a sort of low-grade depression / generalized existential dread / feeling emotionally unprepared for the stresses of eg going out and getting a paper that lasts for a day or two after a big night out.

I think this might be a general phenomenon: physiological problems with the brain create emotional symptoms, which, by virtue of sharing the same location in space, are then mis-ascribed - existential dread is assumed to be caused by deep-seated dissatisfaction with one's life, rather than being no more than the sign of the intracranial equivalent of having sprained one's ankle.

This is why decisions of emotional importance should only be made when one is in tip-top shape.

Mr Tea's breakfast may also be beneficial in that it asserts the physiological nature of the problem over the psychological.

STN

sou'wester
Do not under any circumstances listen to 'Rent' by the Pet Shop Boys when hungover. I did this yesterday and I don't know if I'll ever be happy again.

cobretti

[-] :: [-] ~ [-] :: [-]
I think this might be a general phenomenon: physiological problems with the brain create emotional symptoms, which, by virtue of sharing the same location in space, are then mis-ascribed - existential dread is assumed to be caused by deep-seated dissatisfaction with one's life, rather than being no more than the sign of the intracranial equivalent of having sprained one's ankle.

This is why decisions of emotional importance should only be made when one is in tip-top shape.

Mr Tea's breakfast may also be beneficial in that it asserts the physiological nature of the problem over the psychological.

Late on this, but well worded. The key is not to get in to this state so often that it becomes your brain's default method of operation.

Back on topic, I find that the hangover cure depends on how I'm feeling that day. Sometimes I crave a McDonalds knowing that it'll go down real easily and take care of (very, very) basic nutritional needs and give me a bit of sugar with my savoury, others I just want something super greasy to stodge me out, and at other times I just want a super fresh salad with plenty of juicy tomatoes etc. Being in Glasgow, the salad takes the most effort so it's the most rarely consumed of the bunch.

bobbin

What
carbs, protein, fibre, fat, salt and B-vitamins. Add a swig of fruit juice straight from the fridge and a cup of builder-strength tea

yeah surely there's no secret, you just want lots of everything, including vitamin c i would have thought. and caffeine makes you feel better (temporarily). don't eat marmite though, it's griiim

alex

Do not read this.
don't know if this works for anyone but it seems to have the desired effect on me, if you have one too many brandy's and that ceiling just wont stop spinning and you know that hangover is going to be a pain, try downing a couple of pints of water before you go to sleep, it always makes me avoid the headache of the hangover, which normally is the worst part.

Not saying you avoid the hangover completely, i still shit my guts up and feel like sleeping till the next day, but i dont feel quite as bad as if I didnt drink the water. Must just boil down to dehydration i guess.

grizzleb

Down a shitload of water before bed and at intervals during the night. I usually get up four or five times to down another pint of water. If I still feel shit in the morning some salty fatty food with plenty of carbs and a cup of tea does the trick.