Hip Hop '11

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

this is getting a lot of hype... I think it's alright.

Heard a bit of 'Writing on the Wall 2' yesterday. Sounding good, the Lex tune (''Tragedy'') is a certified banger. It sounds pretty much the same as every other Lex tune but Gucci is a lot less bland than the average Lex-utilising rapper.

CrowleyHead

Yeah, but the thing about Gucci and Lex is they have no chemistry whatsoever. IMO, "Tragedy" is one of the worst songs on the tape, and a really sluggish start. I just wish people would stop forcing this "Lex & Gucci" thing to happen... He does really great on the Southside record, Drumma's laced him very well. Obviously Supa Cold is just WOW.

The Tyler & Pusha record is only important because it's the first departure of Tyler from his team's production on a formal level. But all this fucking with old people lets me down.

stephenk

maybe so, but i like "tragedy". it reminds me of "my shadow" or something. i love gucci in ominous mode.

BareBones

wheezy
what does everything reckon of the lil b album? I really like it. Doesn't quite hit the heights of his best internet stuff eg "motivation" or "myspace" but there's some nice stuff on there. He posted the itunes link for it about ten times in a row on twitter, and then posted a mediafire link for it for anyone who "can't afford the $10", what a guy.

plus i'm sure it's been mentioned already but the juicy j / lex luger mixtape is excellent
http://www.datpiff.com/Juicy-J-Lex-Luger-Rubba-Band-Business-2-mixtape.226614.html

4linehaiku

Repetitive
what does everything reckon of the lil b album? I really like it. Doesn't quite hit the heights of his best internet stuff eg "motivation" or "myspace" but there's some nice stuff on there. He posted the itunes link for it about ten times in a row on twitter, and then posted a mediafire link for it for anyone who "can't afford the $10", what a guy.

Yeah I actually bought it off itunes purely because of that, so if it was a cunning ploy then it worked. I like it quite a lot. It's a shame he wasn't about when I was an angsty-ish teenager, I think I would have been totally obsessed.

Bunj

what does everything reckon of the lil b album? I really like it. Doesn't quite hit the heights of his best internet stuff eg "motivation" or "myspace" but there's some nice stuff on there.

It's an amazing performance from him, I feel that it comes in response to his many haters as the mixtape's characteristics are serious issues, complex lyricism and throwback 90's production. Its quite a conservative mixtape apart from the title.

When Lil B announced that it was gonna be called I'm Gay I expected loads of silly tunes about how gay he is, chipmunked al green samples over wonton soupy beats with a long hippyish intro about how much love hes got for his fellow man etc...

I felt a bit misled that it was a lot safer than that but it is still executed impeccably. I just hope this doesn't mean the death of his more wacked out tunes that are a lot more fun and nothing like anyone else is doing. BIEBER BIEBER BIEBER BIEBER BIEBER looool

Chris

fractured oscillations
a friend ran into Lil B at a recent James Ferraro show in LA, which really makes a lot of sense

he feels more like post-everything psychedelia to me than anything else, the kid is really just a Berkeley hippie making what may be some of the first actual "internet" music... really seems to be one of the first artists where his music actually seems to not only inhabit, but come from Net space .

I mean living in Berkeley now myself there's no mistaking what a product he is of this place as well, he's as Berkeley/Bay Area as OFWGKTA are suburban SoCal, but then a lot of what the Net came out of, and the rhetoric around it, is a hippie Bay Area thing anyways... many aspects of Net culture grow out of Bay Area culture...

Last edited:

DannyL

Wild Horses
Surprised no one has mentioned the new Kendrick Lamar yet. So I will.

Best new record I've heard all year. A concept album that actually works in Hip Hop - deep like the mind of Farrakhan.

CrowleyHead

Except he's still making songs that are 'other rapper' songs.

"This is my, 'I was listening to MBDTF, and now I'mma sound like Pusha-T ghostwriting for Kanye' song. This is my Fake Drake song." etc. etc.

CrowleyHead

You read that one too?

The Johnny Juice one is a myth. The reality is that Kamron from Young Black Teenagers was the DJ on "Don't Sweat The Technique". That said, he's responsible for the scratches on "Juice", which makes him responsible for one of the best transitions EVER.

I actually learned a hilarious story about Kamron and Necro. Doubt anyone cares as Necro's regarded so poorly by people with 'taste' (AKA People who like watching fat mediocre Brooklyn Black Dudes rap over his beats instead).