Film - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

linebaugh

I guess. Hes a different type of boyish than what i think people usually mean by that. Hes got the body of a 13 year old

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Have you seen "Blade" @luka ?

Dunno if it came out after the matrix but has the same sense of what constitutes 'cool' i.e. wraparound shades, leather trenchcoats and block rocking beats

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Apparently it came out eight months before the Matrix. Interesting cos it's really very similar in terms of its look and soundtrack and Kung Fu sequences

version

Have you seen "Blade" @luka ?

Dunno if it came out after the matrix but has the same sense of what constitutes 'cool' i.e. wraparound shades, leather trenchcoats and block rocking beats

I told him to watch it, but I dunno if he did. He definitely should.

IdleRich

IdleRich

I've just seen an advert on telly for this, it finished with a countdown and a voice saying "when this goes off it could destroy the world" - but it didn't, and everyone knows it didn't, it has to be the least successful attempt to generate some sort of dramatic tension that I've ever seen. I'm struggling to understand what the point of the film is.

rubberdingyrapids

the guardian.com/film/2023/aug/01/what-are-film-critics-for-today​

If the internet has paved the way for the devaluation of cinema via streaming platforms, it has also done the same for film criticism. The democratising effect is undeniable, but so is the cheapening one, literally and figuratively. With so many more people writing about cinema online, fees for reviews have fallen to shockingly low levels and the expertise supposedly required of film critics has been forgotten – knowledge of the film history and good writing skills are less and less valued. From typos and poor grammar to evident misunderstandings about what certain words mean (the Cambridge Dictionary defines “bombastic” as “forceful and confident in a way that is intended to be very powerful and impressive, but may not have much real meaning or effect”, which would mean that Barbie is pompous rather than remarkable) and superficial readings of complex films, the quality of film writing has dwindled. It is hard to recommend people read more criticism when it so often makes for a tedious or actively infuriating experience.

mixed_biscuits

the guardian.com/film/2023/aug/01/what-are-film-critics-for-today​

Newspaper film critics are generally too concerned with appearing 'intellectual'/'ethical'/au courant etc. to be convincing anymore. They also give away too many endings and pay too much heed to other people's scores if doling out ratings.

Solution: while Joe and Joanna Public begin to build their personal brands in aping trad media, newspapers should use anonymous reviews to reassume the credibility high ground

rubberdingyrapids

Newspaper film critics are generally too concerned with appearing 'intellectual'/'ethical'/au courant etc. to be convincing anymore. They also give away too many endings and pay too much heed to other people's scores if doling out ratings.

thats the likes of the guardian and the new yorker (and sight and sound)

not so with empire magazine, or little white lies even

version

Curious about this new Harmony Korine thing. Apparently it's shot in infrared and Travis Scott's in it.

AGGRO DR1FT. In this sensuous experimental film, spellbinding infrared photography conjures a hallucinatory portrait of a haunted assassin.

F2nGf9nXQAARn76.jpeg

rubberdingyrapids

You can't trust Empire reviews, they're basically doing PR work for the studios.
true enough, well when it concerns big studio product, but otherwise, i think they are fine. i just mentioned them as they are refreshing in the sense of not aiming for the highbrow, even when writing about 'arthouse' classics or indie films or whatever. lwlies is also a bit dubious, integrity-wise, as they do entire issues in collaboration with PR people (how this works exactly, idk, i consider them between a fanzine and proper magazine).

IdleRich

IdleRich
Curious about this new Harmony Korine thing. Apparently it's shot in infrared and Travis Scott's in it.

AGGRO DR1FT. In this sensuous experimental film, spellbinding infrared photography conjures a hallucinatory portrait of a haunted assassin.

View attachment 15778

Not much to go on but the picture combined with the description is intriguing.