Film - breaking news, gossip, slander, lies etc

IdleRich

IdleRich
Harmony Korine said...

The filmmaker also said he would only return to working on "real movies" for one person: "Terrence Malick wrote a script that he wants me to direct."

Reminds me of the early 90s when Malick returned to filmmaking after a long hiatus. For his comeback Malick had an enormous number of A-list stars falling over themselves to take a pay cut and risk a laughable script to appear in it, purely on the basis of his reputation... sadly the new film was bollocks, but it barely dented the enthusiasm of starstruck stars for his next one... and maybe the one after that, eventually however the procession of shitty films over the next few years meant he could no longer appeal to his mystique as an absentee master, and the er quality of the films left the rest of his reputation in tatters....

Though not as far as Korine is concerned apparently, the above quote takes me back to those heady days when the cycle of everyone - despite their better judgement - looking forward to the next Malick film before facing the inevitable crushing disappointment, was a regular yearly occurrence.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Two lists, one running from your 28th favourite of the Jonah Hill films you've seen all the way to your favourite - and a second list running from your 28th fav JH performance in those films to your very favorite performance from the J-Dog - I'll be particularly interested to compare the lists and perhaps perform some analysis to see to what extent his performance correlates with how good the film is etc

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
Two lists, one running from your 28th favourite of the Jonah Hill films you've seen all the way to your favourite - and a second list running from your 28th fav JH performance in those films to your very favorite performance from the J-Dog - I'll be particularly interested to compare the lists and perhaps perform some analysis to see to what extent his performance correlates with how good the film is etc
And here is the list of what I think his best performances are (I think Maniac is actually his best performance, but thats a miniseries so I left it off the list). A lot of these I haven't seen in a while, and some of them I forgot he was even in.

Letterboxd new.png

IdleRich

IdleRich
I agree that he is good in Wolf of Wall Street, that bit when talks about marrying his cousin cos she's too hot to let other people fuck, and, if the children are born mentally handicapped he'll just take them into the woods and let them run free is much better and funnier than Leo manages in the rest of the film put together.

Personally though I'd say that his best performance is either Superbad (after all he pretty much carries the whole film) or This Is The End, particularly when he is possessed.

As for Maniac, is that the thing with Emma Stone and Sonoya Mizuno? I was really looking forward to that but in the end I found it quite underwhelming.

Have you seen him now? He's lost a lot of weight and looks like a surf bum

1_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-Dad-to-be-Jonah-Hill-flaunts-impressive-weight-loss-while-dropping-off-surfboa...jpg

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
I agree that he is good in Wolf of Wall Street, that bit when talks about marrying his cousin cos she's too hot to let other people fuck, and, if the children are born mentally handicapped he'll just take them into the woods and let them run free is much better and funnier than Leo manages in the rest of the film put together.

Personally though I'd say that his best performance is either Superbad (after all he pretty much carries the whole film) or This Is The End, particularly when he is possessed.

As for Maniac, is that the thing with Emma Stone and Sonoya Mizuno? I was really looking forward to that but in the end I found it quite underwhelming.

Have you seen him now? He's lost a lot of weight and looks like a surf bum

View attachment 15954
Yeah Maniac is the miniseries he’s in with Emma Stone, about that pharma trial. I thought it was really enjoyable, and found more depth in his main character than most/all of the characters he tends to play in other films. But yeah as a whole, the miniseries was all over the place, which I happened to like but I also totally get why other people wouldn’t.

IdleRich

IdleRich
With hindsight there are three mini-series that dealt with the interface between reality, experiments with what could crudely be called other dimensions, and corporatism. I'm thinking of Devs, Maniac and Severance.

All interesting in terms of ideas and I was intrigued to see them. In the end however I felt only Severance stood up all the way through. Devs and Maniac (both featuring Sonoya Mizuno in fact) just kinda lost their way and fell apart to some extent midway through - nothing against Mizuno I should say, it wasn't her fault. In fact if she does happen to read this I want to clarify that she was good in both of them, merely let down by script and/or plot, also, and this is extremely important, she would still get it, I'm sure she's very relieved to know.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
With hindsight there are three mini-series that dealt with the interface between reality, experiments with what could crudely be called other dimensions, and corporatism. I'm thinking of Devs, Maniac and Severance.

All interesting in terms of ideas and I was intrigued to see them. In the end however I felt only Severance stood up all the way through. Devs and Maniac (both featuring Sonoya Mizuno in fact) just kinda lost their way and fell apart to some extent midway through - nothing against Mizuno I should say, it wasn't her fault. In fact if she does happen to read this I want to clarify that she was good in both of them, merely let down by script and/or plot, also, and this is extremely important, she would still get it, I'm sure she's very relieved to know.
Very interesting comparison, yeah I see what you mean. I only got a few episodes into devs myself, but severance is one of my favorites, and also one of the best miniseries ever made, in my opinion, in terms of how well it balanced an interesting premise, with good plot structure, with deep character development, all while being hilarious at some moments and touching at others.

version

After watching Will Smith’s Oscars slap, Sean Penn became convinced his only choice was to destroy his own Oscar statuettes. “I thought, well, f---, you know? I’ll give them to Ukraine. They can be melted down to bullets they can shoot at the Russians.”

Sean Penn is livid over the studios’ AI proposals. He has an idea that he is convinced will break the logjam: “So you want my scans and voice data and all that. OK, here’s what I think is fair: I want your daughter’s, because I want to create a virtual replica of her and invite my friends over to do whatever we want in a virtual party right now. Would you please look at the camera and tell me you think that’s cool?”

Sean Penn on meeting Ukrainian president Volodymyr Zelenskyy: “His brain is fully oxygenated. His eyes are clear and he’s warm. I knew I’m either going to feel nothing or I’m going to let myself love him.”

IdleRich

IdleRich
Damn - gonna have to catch The Puppetman!

Wow, The Puppetman looks to be a masterpiece. Once the dust has settled and you let it lie, I think it will come out on top in the horror game in 2023. L'chaim to the director!

I mean if a trailer that is two minutes and nine seconds long already has people saying it is the best horror film of the year - and not cos it's a weak year or anything, it's cos it looks as though it will be a masterpiece - then imagine how good the whole film must be.

Clinamenic

Binary & Tweed
this was a good write up on that.
Oh I also agree with your take on The Creator, which I just saw. Nothing much, if anything, new to say story-wise, and character depth and development were meh, but it really did look great. David Erlich makes good point, that hopefully this can show major studios that you can make a transportive and visually stunning film for a fraction of the budget of the multi-hundred-million dollar MCU movies, and actually have it look better.