The Queen is Dead!

luka

maybe catalog is saying that the flags bunting queen portraits dont actually signify anything any more. or perhaps im saying that.

forclosure

like i said before to @version i understand his existential crisis and neurosis over being in Britian and going above and beyond to not see hear or deal with anything "British"

but i'm coming at it from a different vantage point and lens in regard to that kind of familiarity

luka

its just another state-ordained class activity like the end of term school disco or the trip to the pantomime.

forclosure

its just another state-ordained class activity like the end of term school disco or the trip to the pantomime.
or Glastonbury and we're supposed to be happy that we have those 2 days off

i'd give people a week off at the very least

catalog

maybe catalog is saying that the flags bunting queen portraits dont actually signify anything any more. or perhaps im saying that.
Something to do with it being mainly triangular and small as opposed to big and square has something to do with it.

But also

that those buntings and portraits never meant anything and it was more to do with what people projected onto those images

Yes I agree with that and the mood about the place Is different and I don't think anyone can quite place it.

It's like, in the context of brexit, covid etc, the flag is almost light relief?

forclosure

i don't have the kind of dissapointment like say my mother has not that she believed in this place being "the mother country" she emigrated here over in '75 in her teens

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
like i said before to @version i understand his existential crisis and neurosis over being in Britian and going above and beyond to not see hear or deal with anything "British"
What's maddening is that the ubiquity and unavoidability of all this not-quite-sincere-but-not-quite-ironic nationalism/royalism seems to increase in direct proportion to how dysfunctional and farcical the country gets.

luka

that those buntings and portraits never meant anything and it was more to do with what people projected onto those images
well at one point i feel as though those displays would have very strongly signified royalism. and that now they very clearly dont, not reliably.

forclosure

make it an actual jubilee and empty the prisons, cancel debts
then send the royals to siberia and nationalise the lot
yeah and do to the Tories what they to Mussolini or did in Babi Yar

don't give these people the pagentry of the guillotine

forclosure

well at one point i feel as though those displays would have very strongly signified royalism. and that now they very clearly dont, not reliably.
course not i mean even growing up people i knew just thought the royals existed in this country just for tourists lol

its easy to forget that the Queen is like the last old style european royal figurehead with all that entails every other royal family in europe either got voted out like in Spain or they got split apart due to war and such

luka

well, emund knew what i was getting at at least. i give up with the rest of you!