I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

forclosure

Nico said that technique is for people who are not tall and blond. andy warhol had technique, she said
As much as i like that stretch from Marble Index to The End dunno if Nico is the right person to be quoting for various reasons lol

if she didn't have "technique" then what did she have? is what i'd like to know

forclosure

Once you'd seen the good bit? How did you know that the next bit would disappoint though?
i mean sometimes its a thing you feel in your gut you feel like the movie used up its best stuff too early or you kind of went into a film for some reason expecting wanting one specific thing throughout the movie and only got it once and never again.

watched this Jackie Chan movie from about 2013? i think so i knew it wasn't going to be peak shit from him(his age and the wear and tear on his body too) but i thought it was ok the kind of film you watch glaze over vaguely remember one fight scene and done...my friend who i was also watching it with she HATED it because she wanted there to be more rollerblading in the movie.

There's one chase scene in the beginning where Jackie's in a street luge thing but its only very briefly, can understand wanting more from that but that's not what defines Jackie Chan movies for me and also its just a weird reason to hate a movie imo

IdleRich

IdleRich
i mean sometimes its a thing you feel in your gut you feel like the movie used up its best stuff too early or you kind of went into a film for some reason expecting wanting one specific thing throughout the movie and only got it once and never again.
My guess is that Sufi didn't enjoy that first bit that much or he wouldn't have left like that.

sufi

lala
yeah, from https://www.lrb.co.uk/the-paper/v44/n04/lavinia-greenlaw/why-couldn-t-she-be-fun\
apparently she had teutonic presence so she felt like she didnt need to make the effort
& referred to that as "technique"
She was businesslike about her looks, but didn’t bother to hide her disdain for those who failed to match her. ‘I was tall, I was blonde, and was dignified. Nothing more is needed to make an effect. It is short people who need technique. Andy Warhol has technique. I had none.’ Otter Bickerdike cuts the mention of Warhol, but the reference shows contempt. Nico had a history of making racist remarks, contextualised by her biographers in terms of trauma, the times, irony and a desire to shock, but the incidents accumulate into a virulence she chose not to repress.

Nico was what is now called ‘extra’ and used to be called ‘too much’. Her relationship with her own presence is what makes her so potent. She’s there and not there. You can’t take your eyes off her, but don’t feel you’ve properly seen her. Mary Woronov, who performed with her as part of Warhol’s ‘Exploding Plastic Inevitable’ in 1966, conjures her as a sexual vortex: ‘even the furniture ... groaned out loud when she walked into the room. I had seen chairs creep across the carpet in hopes that she might sit down on them.’ Her beauty was alienating, like that of Chaucer’s Criseyde – so heavenly perfect that she might have been sent down to earth in a scorning of nature. It didn’t help that she was readily scornful.

forclosure

@sufi in a way that's what makes her music interesting for me it's that this contemptuous ice queen was singing these wheezy mournful siren songs

she's defo somebody who would have "If you can't handle me at my worst you don't deserve me at my best" in her Twitter/IG bio

luka

we didnt, i guess pub/spilff was just more enticing.
the misgivings started as soon as they revealed the juvenile character iirc.
i saw on his instagram that he's got a new 19 year old Polish waitress for a girlfriend. good on him!

luka

I have defended it in the past, but its a mess. The narrative is all over the place, the visual effects, especially the mattes, are laughably bad and the editing is catastrophic. This is why Lynch himself disowned it.

That said, costumes and sets are magnificent and Baron Harkonnen is great. Ill give it that.
baron harkonnen is like the fat scottish man get in my belly from the austin powers films which corpsey loves

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I actually hated Austin Powers 2 and Fat Bastard was indicative of how far Myers has fallen

On the other hand, when I see those Fat Bastard clips now I chortle so

Also, pretty sure Fat Bastard was responsive for giving me my first empathetic insight into the plight of the clinically obese

1000087264.jpg