I Hate The Film Canon: A Thread

woops

is not like other people
ok, good now we have arrived at the truth. you like films to look cool. so do i. who wouldnt.
why do you think the film's look cool luke. hint, it's not entirely cos of tits. who's job might that be.

luka

like, how many of you have actually made a film? im pretty sure im the only one with high-level film making experience from set design to directing to acting

version

ive watched films with craner and i can assure you he doesnt sit there stroking his chin and going 'my, what an audacious shot' he sits there leering and going fuck me look at the tits on that
Craner watching some Italian nudity,

tenor.gif

woops

is not like other people
like, how many of you have actually made a film? im pretty sure im the only one with high-level film making experience from set design to directing to acting
i've watched you're film and it has no tits in it at all so you have failed by your own standards

luka

they're not my standards! and anyway youre wrong it did have tits in it. wait there one second let me find them

luka

the harlequin is a hermaphrodite figure so i instructed my runner to pick up a pair of 'Gazza-tits' on ebay

version

A couple of films which seem well-liked and which I can't stand are Last of the Mohicans and The Untouchables.

forclosure

first i'm hearing about your film making experience

weh it called? where you go and show it?

forclosure

A couple of films which seem well-liked and which I can't stand are Last of the Mohicans and The Untouchables.
I mean Last of the Mohicans i get although it's been a long time since i last saw it, it's not a Mann film typically hear people rep for, even The Keep has people swearing that, that one is underrated and i've heard nothing but bad things about it lol

as for the Untouchables i think that movie is ok but Connery and De Niro in that movie...they make Guy Richie's goons in his movies look grounded

forclosure

although to be fair to de palma, Richie is far more of a flashy studio director guy he TRIED to show he had depth as a director with Revolver and man...no

IdleRich

IdleRich
I've not watched T2 in ages but in my mind it's a classic. I remember mainly Arnie reloading the shotgun with one hand, the bit with the milk carton, the annoying kid with the floppy hair, Arnie trying to smile and "I know now why you cry". So it probably isn't as classic as I think it is? I'll have to check.

Is "Aliens" good? I feel like what Cameron did with Aliens is analogous to what he did in T2. Quips. A "cute" kid. Guns. Action (for the most part) replaces atmosphere.
I've seen T2 on telly fairly recently, more than once even I think and so I have formed an opinion that, unusually, I can confidently say is based on a good memory and understanding of the film; the first part is really good... first the stark horror of nuclear explosion that softens you up, and then there is the bit from where the liquid metal terminator arrives and starts looking for the kid and kills his parents etc and then Arnie intervenes to save him, leading into what for my money, is a really long slow-burn-but-getting-faster extended chase sequence that is genuinely tense.

Personally I often just switch off during long action scenes - fights, chases, shoot outs etc - but this is one of the few that really grips you and has you on the edge of your seat for a long time. Not just the chase but the precursor scenes which set it up. Basically a good forty minutes to an hour of a brilliant film. Unfortunately, and this is what I always forget until I watch it again, after they break away from the T1000 or whatever it's called, the tension which has been successfully maintained at a high level for an impressively long time, does finally leak away and is never truly recovered.

The second half of the film is fine I guess, there is nothing wrong with it per se, it's just not as good as the first half and every time I see it and the part arrives where they stop and catch their breath and the kid sees some people arguing and says "we're not going to make it are we?" I suddenly remember that that's it. It's like a rollercoaster where you've been over the main drop and although there are a couple of min-drops and some fast bends left it's hard to get excited about them compared to what's gone before.

Leo

first i'm hearing about your film making experience

weh it called? where you go and show it?

I remember a clip where @luka was wandering around a field like a stoned hippy, all sorts of swirling colors and special effects like those low-budget 70s psychedelic flicks.

sufi

lala
I've seen T2 on telly fairly recently, more than once even I think and so I have formed an opinion that, unusually, I can confidently say is based on a good memory and understanding of the film; the first part is really good... first the stark horror of nuclear explosion that softens you up, and then there is the bit from where the liquid metal terminator arrives and starts looking for the kid and kills his parents etc and then Arnie intervenes to save him, leading into what for my money, is a really long slow-burn-but-getting-faster extended chase sequence that is genuinely tense.

Personally I often just switch off during long action scenes - fights, chases, shoot outs etc - but this is one of the few that really grips you and has you on the edge of your seat for a long time. Not just the chase but the precursor scenes which set it up. Basically a good forty minutes to an hour of a brilliant film. Unfortunately, and this is what I always forget until I watch it again, after they break away from the T1000 or whatever it's called, the tension which has been successfully maintained at a high level for an impressively long time, does finally leak away and is never truly recovered.

The second half of the film is fine I guess, there is nothing wrong with it per se, it's just not as good as the first half and every time I see it and the part arrives where they stop and catch their breath and the kid sees some people arguing and says "we're not going to make it are we?" I suddenly remember that that's it. It's like a rollercoaster where you've been over the main drop and although there are a couple of min-drops and some fast bends left it's hard to get excited about them compared to what's gone before.
Me and the original @Lichen went to see T2 in the cinema when it came out and walked out 1/2 way thru